LADIES: How to get rid of period bloating and water weight g

Options
It's that time of the month again where the scale screws with my mind. Bloating + water weight = weight gain! I work out regularly even when I'm on my period, so how do I eliminate these issues?

Replies

• natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't get on the scale that week. I do my best to eat well and continue to exercise. I can't control TOM. I just do my best and don't weigh myself that week. Why get discouraged? Stay on track and the weight will come off...slowly but surely. Good luck to you.
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    I've found that if I do a TON of cardio (more than usual) during the week of my period, I don't get bloated or cramps nearly as bad. But my period is never REALLY bad, so it might be different for you. I agree, if you're bloated, just skip the weigh in for that week. No use getting upset over something you can't control. :)
  • bethanyrmiles
    Options
    I was just researching this issue. What I have found is that you need to - drink plenty of water (of course), cut way, way back on the caffeine,cut back on the sodium, lay off the red meat and pork and eat chicken and fish only. Add a few more carbs every day and fiber as that will help with the water weight.

Here is an article I found - and it worked - I lost 3 pounds this week - EVEN still being on my period at weigh in. :D

Foods to avoid during your period

* Caffeine elevates estrogen levels that increases symptoms of
    premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Cutting back on caffeine, which is found
    in tea, coffee, colas and chocolate, can relieve breast tenderness
    during your period.
    * Alcohol increases premenstrual depression and headaches. Try to
    avoid it during your period.
    * Sugar causes rapid swings in blood sugar levels, triggering mood
    swings. Avoid candy and sweets when you can.
    * Salt increases water retention, which leads to bloating. Foods
    you should avoid include fast foods or anything else with more than 50
    mg of sodium, like most chips.
    * Avoid fatty and greasy foods such as beef, lamb and pork and eat
    fish and poultry instead.

What to eat instead

To beat your sweet tooth, eat complex carbohydrates like pasta, rice,
    beans, cereal and whole grains.

Vitamins A and D help you steer clear of pitfalls like acne and oily
    skin. Good sources include cantaloupe, raw carrots, cooked sweet
    potatoes, spinach, enriched milk and cereal.

Vitamin B6 helps relieve premenstrual cravings, fatigue, mood swings,
    fluid retention and bloating. You can find it in fish, eggs, nuts,
    bananas, potatoes, and the white meat of turkey and chicken.

Make premenstrual stress a thing of the past by eating broccoli, bell
    peppers, Brussels sprouts, citrus fruits, cranberry juice and
    cantaloupe, which are all rich in vitamin C.
    Reference

1 Watson, Stephanie, “How PMS Works: Treatment for PMS: Diet,” (2006).
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    My method is called "waiting four days" and not getting on the scale. As long as you don't binge every day, the weight should fall off again.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I work out during but pretty much just avoid the scale and let it run its course. I try to up my water intake if possible though I don't know if it really helps.

The active ingredient for bloating in pills like Midol/Pamprin is actually the caffeine because it's a diuretic. So you could try having extra coffee if it's really bad.

For me, exercise does seem to help me feel less crummy during that time. I may not go quite as intense if I'm feeling fatigued.
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    I've decided to quit the scale for about 5 days or so. I don't want to feel depressed over 'fake' weight gain.
  • ElzbthStths
    ElzbthStths Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cardio, Cardio, Cardio....sweartogod, it stops all the premenstrual, pre or peri menopausal symptoms.
    Drink Traditional Medicinals Weighless Cranberry Tea, take cranberry supplements, drink water with a lemon slice.

I told my doctor I DO NOT need to take medications, such as xanax, zoloft, sleeping pills, diuretics...they all have side effects that need ANOTHER pill to counteract that.
    I wrote my health insurance company and told them they could save tons of $$$$ if they prescribed exercise and not pills. They told me they agreed, but there was no way to track how much people work out.

By the time I was 30, my knees hurt due to the water retention, it runs in my family. I could barely walk upstairs. I wasn't even heavy! I only weighed 120lbs and I'm 5'7"!
    I started running and the pain in my knees immediately stopped.

Bloat foods...
    White stuff...bread, rice, salt, sugar, cake, flour, white carbs.

Hope this helps, cause bloat SUX!
  • ElzbthStths
    ElzbthStths Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've decided to quit the scale for about 5 days or so. I don't want to feel depressed over 'fake' weight gain.

Good move. If I maintain, just maintain, and not gain weight during this time, I figure I'm doing pretty good.
    Weigh yourself in a week.
    Also, learn (by practicing) to not let the scale dictate your mood. It can become self destructive.
    You deserve to be treated better than that, especially when you've been doing all the right things.

I'm 53 and still getting my period, that REALLY SUX!
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that there is no way I actually gained four pounds of fat in a day and keep soldiering on until it is over and I drop five pounds over night.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I just ignore it. I know it will happen so why get all flustered about it.
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    I remind myself that there is no way I actually gained four pounds of fat in a day and keep soldiering on until it is over and I drop five pounds over night.

so true!!!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I either a) don't weigh myself or b) use the sauna every day at the gym and also I find drinking raspberry tea helps
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options
    I drink at least 12 cups of water a day and I no longer gain weight on my period.
    The only time I get random gains now is from either cheat days or from doing a new work out.
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    Good move. If I maintain, just maintain, and not gain weight during this time, I figure I'm doing pretty good.
    Weigh yourself in a week.

Also, learn (by practicing) to not let the scale dictate your mood. It can become self destructive.
    You deserve to be treated better than that, especially when you've been doing all the right things.

I'm 53 and still getting my period, that REALLY SUX!
    isn't that great??? It means your body is still youthful :)
  • smcesko
    smcesko Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Awesome answers!!
  • Monkeys21087
    Options
    I was just looking up this topic for myself- I know some methods but would like to be really knowledgeable on it. One thing I found is a great detox all together is natural green tea ( or diet lipton if you have too ) with lemon juice in it- about two glasses first thing I wake up. Also drink a glass of Lemon water about 7-8 o clock at night. Lemon helps move things along in the body and cleanses. Especially watching your carbs at night after 4 pm. And I really dont even know if this helps but I have these elastic waist bands that are supposed to help your mid-section sweat- It does make them sweat but I never lose an ungodly amount of inches or anything. Lets be honest it is like my exercise girdle LOL- I just like the support and tightness of it mostly. I buy two of them for ten dollars each at a walmart store. After you use them with your cardio you can tell you dont look quite as puffy.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Why let it screw with your head when you know it happens every month?
  • kattlovefeo18
    Options
    normally im no more than 110 but with in the last month i have gained alot of weight plus blotting from my lady thing idk what to do i need extreme advise like this crazy random thing is freaking me out
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What I tend to do (almost said "like" to do) is, if I know it's probably just bloating, to keep track of it on the scale. Why? Because in the day or two after the TOM starts, I lose all the water weight in like a day (which makes up for the self-esteem killer of the rising scale number).

It was especially fun the week I didn't gain or lose anything, but then lost all of a sudden due to the decrease in bloating.