Help with cooking Egg Beaters!

Options
MonicaRod
MonicaRod Posts: 56
So I am not a cook by any means, but I do try!

I have heard soo many good things about egg beaters. So yesterday at the grocery store, I bought a small container...When I got home I realized that I have NO IDEA on how to even cook these...let alone make some kind of recipe!

Please help!!

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I just ate some for lunch -

I spray the pan with cooking spray, leave for a couple minutes, flip - they cook quickly then they are done....I also use them in ALL recipes that ask for eggs
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I have one of those things to cook eggs in the microwave, but if you don't have one of those, you can use a coffee cup, spray with non-stick spray add a few tablespoons of egg beaters and anything else you want in it (if anything) and put it in the microwave for 45 seconds to a minute and it should be done. You can also just cook them on the stove like normal eggs if you wish (for scrambled or an omlette or something), hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • MonicaRod
    Options
    so you can cook them exactly like normal eggs?

so i can make scrambled eggs and throw in some ingredients...like veggies!! yumm!!

and cook them like normal eggs?
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    so you can cook them exactly like normal eggs?

so i can make scrambled eggs and throw in some ingredients...like veggies!! yumm!!

and cook them like normal eggs?

Yep!!! just like scrambled eggs
  • MonicaRod
    Options
    Thank you soo much!
    You guys have been soooo helpful! :wink:
  • roxie17
    roxie17 Posts: 71
    Options
    I do half egg beaters and half liquid egg whites when I make my omelettes:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Just make sure you keep an eye on them... I've found that they cook a little faster than regular eggs.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You can also use them in cakes, and cookies and whatever other things eggs go in, jsut make sure you read the exact amount equal to an egg, i am not sure if it differs by brands but its usually 1/4 cup = 1 egg.

my only advice is make sure you spray the pan well, I find they stick more than regular eggs.
  • MonicaRod
    Options
    Great Advise guys!!
    Thanks you so much :love:

I felt like an idiot, but i'm only 21 and haven't really had much experience ( unfortunately ) with the whole cooking thing.

Thanks again!
    MROD
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i like to scramble mine with a little bit of onions and some laughing cow cheese! i spray the pan and let the onions get a little brown first, then add the beaters and cheese.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    i like to scramble mine with a little bit of onions and some laughing cow cheese! i spray the pan and let the onions get a little brown first, then add the beaters and cheese.

That sounds good - I haven't ventured into laughing cow yet - which flavor do you like best?

I use fat free feta with the egg beaters mushrooms and onions it's good too
  • MonicaRod
    Options
    laughing cow???

i have no idea what this is??? :blushing:

like i said...i am new to this....what is laughing cow cheese and where can i find it..how's it packaged...forgive me if i'm being naive about this...

any help is appreicated:flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    Options
    hehe, laughing cow is the best! here is their website http://laughingcow.com/

i like to get the wedges - they are soft spreadable cheese. i like the original light and the garlic and herb light. only 35 calories! its great to add to eggs (like i mentioned) and makes them creamier. when adding them to eggs, i just use a wooden spoon or spatchula (sp) to stir it all together. you have to break up the cheese but it melts pretty quick. i am sure there is an easier way to do it but im cooking-lame as well :laugh: :wink:

i also use it as a spread on sandwiches - like turkey, avacado, tomato and laughing cow on a pita. it is delish!

i havent tried the baby bells but i hear they are great too.

they are sold at the grocery store near the produce & veggies. kind of close to the deli. a little pricey. someone said they got a 3 pack at costco or sams for $6.00 which is a great deal.

i like to eat it on reduced fat triscuits as a snack with some apple slices too!
  • beckythebunny122
    beckythebunny122 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get Laughing Cow Cheese at places like Giant and Safeway. Sometimes it looks like mini-Goudas (hard wax around them) and sometimes like mini-Brie wedges. I tend to go for the Swiss (mini-Brie). They have 50 calories each. They are good to mix with things to create cheesy goodness.
  • MonicaRod
    Options

i like to get the wedges - they are soft spreadable cheese. i like the original light and the garlic and herb light. only 35 calories! its great to add to eggs (like i mentioned) and makes them creamier. when adding them to eggs, i just use a wooden spoon or spatchula (sp) to stir it all together. you have to break up the cheese but it melts pretty quick. i am sure there is an easier way to do it but im cooking-lame as well :laugh: :wink:

i also use it as a spread on sandwiches - like turkey, avacado, tomato and laughing cow on a pita. it is delish!

they are sold at the grocery store near the produce & veggies. kind of close to the deli. a little pricey. someone said they got a 3 pack at costco or sams for $6.00 which is a great deal.

i like to eat it on reduced fat triscuits as a snack with some apple slices too!

Heather!!
    Thanks sooo much for all the info... that really helps! so basically its a good substitute for like cream cheese and such? garlic and herb sounds yummy :love:

so when you are mixing it with the egg beaters...you smash up it up in the bowl with the egg beaters...the put in pan and cook like normal??

i'm learning all kinds of things today!! yay for the motivation and help on this website!!! :wink: :love:
  • heather0mc
    Options

Heather!!
    Thanks sooo much for all the info... that really helps! so basically its a good substitute for like cream cheese and such? garlic and herb sounds yummy :love:

so when you are mixing it with the egg beaters...you smash up it up in the bowl with the egg beaters...the put in pan and cook like normal??

i'm learning all kinds of things today!! yay for the motivation and help on this website!!! :wink: :love:

of course! like i said, i am not the best chef in town, but you learn along the way! :drinker:

after i add the egg beaters, i just plop the wedge into the pan, and mush it up with whatever utensil i am using. make sure you get the wedges for this because they are soft (like beckybunny said).

the good thing about egg beaters is you can just shake it up, measure it out and pour it in the pan!

i also like lower sodium turkey bacon (not a piggie eater) and some whole wheat bread to go along with the egg beater/laughing cow mix.

i spent a lot of time on the message boards looking for recipes. fornd a bunch that are fairly easy and you can portion them out and freeze them for later.
  • MonicaRod
    Options
    I too have been searching the recipes since the mention of "laughing cow" :tongue:

Thanks for the advice!

Also, i bought a packagage of the egg beaters that came with 3 (2 serving size ) containers.....i will ready the package label to check the cals, but what is a usual portion size? how much to do you usually use to make a healthy serving of lets say scrambled eggs with veggies and "laughing cow"

i think i just like saying "laughin cow :laugh: "
  • heather0mc
    Options
    i think the carton of EB says 1/4 a cup, and i usually have a 1/2 cup because its low in calories. i just enter in the 1/2 cup (or 2 servings of 1/4 cup) the LC cheese wedge, then the veggies. if you enter things into your food log before you make them, it is an easy way to figure out how many calories your meal will have.