Body Image Issue....at age four.

Options
2»

Replies

• Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. I vowed the moment I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, I would NEVER make food an issue in our house because I didn't want her to have a problem with her weight. That also means that I do not talk about body or weight issues with her. When I decided to go on this "diet" I basically told her that our whole family is getting healthy and that means eating lots of fruits and vegetables. My kids were never unhealthy, but I just made it a family thing. They haven't really been impacted, but she thinks we're all on an adventure to be super healthy. She knows mommy won't eat the cake because it's not the choice mommy wants. But, that it is ok for people to have cake if they want it. It's a choice and mommy just wants to opt for the healthier choice. No talk of calorie counting, etc. Just from a health perspective.

We also do not have a clear your plate policy in our house. We also do not ban foods either. I grew up in a house where only healthy foods were allowed - so what do you think I did when someone put a bowl of chocolates in front of me. Can you say 'binge?' I remember many holidays as a child literally eating until I threw up because it was the only time my mom wasn't watching every thing we ate. My parents were well intentioned, they wanted healthy kids, but it ended up having the exact opposite effect on all 3 of my siblings. One sister and I are both compulsive over-eaters and the other has done severe calorie restriction most of her teen and adult years.

My point - don't make food an issue. It's a tough balance to strike. I struggle with it. However, compared to much of the world, I guess we're lucky this is a problem.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about anything but here are my two cents for ya ;-)

Since even before I can remember I have been a "chunky" girl. I was never small...EVER. My mother told me I was beautiful every single day...and I believed her. So, when anybody including boys, classmates, magazines, TV, told me different....I thought they were lying. I believed I was beautiful at any and every size. I was surrounded by people like friends and family who told me I was beautiful. Even at my heaviest weight of 250 pounds, I knew I wasn't healthy but you couldn't tell me I wasn't drop dead gorgeous.

Concentrate on telling her she is beautiful at any size and focus on keeping her healthy. Then do the same for you :flowerforyou:

This is the best advice so far. Love it
  • DameVenus
    DameVenus Posts: 70
    Options
    I don't know much about anything but here are my two cents for ya ;-)

Since even before I can remember I have been a "chunky" girl. I was never small...EVER. My mother told me I was beautiful every single day...and I believed her. So, when anybody including boys, classmates, magazines, TV, told me different....I thought they were lying. I believed I was beautiful at any and every size. I was surrounded by people like friends and family who told me I was beautiful. Even at my heaviest weight of 250 pounds, I knew I wasn't healthy but you couldn't tell me I wasn't drop dead gorgeous.

Concentrate on telling her she is beautiful at any size and focus on keeping her healthy. Then do the same for you :flowerforyou:

This is the best advice so far. Love it

Much agreed ^_^