Hummus?

Options
Wishful
Wishful Posts: 618 Member
So, what exactly is this? Is it pre-packaged? How do you eat it? Why is it considered good for you?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmm hummus is yummus mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I get Sabra brand at the grocery, but there are many recipes here and on line.

it is usually made with ground chick peas, garlic, tahini which is seseme seeds ground up.

it is delish in any veggie altho my fav is mini carrots. it is good in place of mustard or may on a sandwich.

I also dip pita chips!

:flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    So, what exactly is this? Is it pre-packaged? How do you eat it? Why is it considered good for you?

ya
    it has protein
    olive oil

pretty clean stuff

about 50 cals for a good size mouthful of yummy

good on lots of stuff including the end of your finger
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been using it instead of mayo on sandwiches. I don't like mustard, so it give a sandwhich a little zip. I use Athenos roasted red pepper hummus for this. I can find it in most local grocery stores. It is usually near the deli stuff or where there might be feta cheese or other "speciality" items.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have it at lunch with raw veggies. It goes good with raw broccoli, cauliflower, radishes carrots, celery.

It's good in a sandwich.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    it tastes really good and has very few cals, i like it on wheat crackers and on veggies....i like the Athenos neo classic w/ roasted garlic and sesame seeds....its yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and chock full of protein!:tongue:
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I looked at walmart the other day and couldn't find it. Where would I look? I also shop at kroger.
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat Posts: 5
    Options
    I looked at walmart the other day and couldn't find it. Where would I look? I also shop at kroger.

I buy Sabra at Kroger or Wal-Mart. At my stores anyway, it is found:

Near the deli/gourmet cheese area (Kroger)

Next to the deli counter/pre-packaged sandwich area (Wal-Mart)

It is OUTSTANDING as a mayo substitute on sandwiches.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Go to their deli sections for it.:heart: I buy mine at Wal Mart

:heart: Caliecat
  • jjohnson0882
    Options
    I like to make my own at home with my food processor. It's pretty easy. I just soak the chickpeas and then throw them in with some olive oil, tahini paste, lemon juice and garlic. Makes for a healthy snack.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own at home with my food processor. It's pretty easy. I just soak the chickpeas and then throw them in with some olive oil, tahini paste, lemon juice and garlic. Makes for a healthy snack.

I like to use roasted garlic and roasted red pepper. So Yummy! The last time I made it I did not have a lemon so I used a lime that I had and added alittle cumin. It turned out really good!
  • HEK81
    HEK81 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love hummus, never had it on a sandwich though. I'll have to try that.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i love love love hummus. i have it with naan bread. it is super healthy, super low cal, and super filling. i get so full after eating it.