Navy vs Air Force

Options
HI! My name is Brittney and i'm trying to chose between enlisting (as an E2) in the Navy or the Air Force. I will be 19 when I enlist. I'm not quite sure if this was the correct section to post this thread in, or how well MFP will accept the topic but I would love some opinions on my current situation.

Please read my entire post before responding.

First let me make one thing clear, your experience is extremely important to me, especially if it provides any relevant information or experiences. On the other hand, please do not just drop by and say "Navy" or "Air Force" without reasons or just because it's what you or a family member did. In addition, I am stuck between Navy and Air Force... meaning that I have already looked into every other single branch and do not wish to enlist in them.

Second, bear in mind that my current partner is in the Army (Airborne division nonetheless) which means that if I go into the Navy there's no way in hell (even if we marry) that he and I would be stationed even relatively close. The adverse is true for Air Force though. It would be possible to be stationed with him if we decided to wed.

Third, education is very important to me. It's one of the main reasons I'm choosing between Navy and Air Force.

Fourth, I want to go into a criminal justice/law career feild. Both the Navy and the Air Force are equal in job opportunity and slightly equal in pay.

All in all, from what i've read/researched/been told, Navy and Air Force are damn near equal. But I want opinions, experiences, etc.

My heart has been set on Navy for 3 years. I had looked into every single branch but Air Force in high school and reccently decided to look into it. Now that I have looked through every single branch I can honestly say that I don't think I would mind either one.

If you have any questions for me that may help you form a better response feel free to message me.

Replies

• Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I've never been in the military so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But I do work closely with the Air Force. And everyone I know says the Air Force has far and away the best accommodations in the military. But you could also end up in places like Minot, Grand Forks, or Thule in January... But I suppose that is better than being stuck on a ship.
  • Brilliantbritt27
    Options
    Lol, I live in Fayetteville, NC. So I work with a ton of Army and Air Force. You're right in saying that they get some of the best accomidations (then again Navy and Air Force both do...*sigh* yet again a way they are equal).
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    i wish i could give you some magical advice that would show you the way...but i can't. i recently went Navy and am awaiting boot camp in september, i chose navy because i prefer water over flying lol. but if you don't mind either one then you need to right out a pros and cons list, which ever has more pros i'd go with lol. The other option is if you are for sure marrying this guy then maybe go with Air force. But NEVER choose a branch based on a man that you are not sure about, you wouldn't want to regret your decision. best of luck to you!...p.s. my name is Brittney :)
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    If u have a low IQ go navy, if u r smart Aim High!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I like the Navy. My youngest just got out (not by his own choice). They always sent him to different schools to be trained. And he got to see the world since he was on a carrier.

The thing you need to do is talk to a recruiter to see what type of positions are actually open in the fields you are interested in. The Navy (and I assume the AF) is downsizing now. My son lost his job because there were over 200 people applying for it when his contract was up. Also check into how quickly you will get promoted. My kid tested and passed for E5 three different times and was not promoted because there were not enough spaces.

Good luck in whatever you decide!!
  • Nailrep
    Options

My son is extremely intelligent - tested vey high on his ASVAB. So, this statement is incorrect to say the least.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My brothers joined the Navy and Air Force, respectively. The first stayed in the Navy for 4 years, the second is still in Air Force after 15 years.

Ultimately, my first brother did not like the Navy. The job the recruiter had promised did not come to fruition, and he ultimatley ended up on a supply ship doing work that did not interest him. He did travel to the Meditterrean and back.

My second brother loves his job and has been all over the world. Truthfully, he is smarter than my first brother and it probably helped him get a job in tech. control. When he went through the recruiting process, yes, accomdations are better, and you won't be stuck in a tiny bunk in a ship for 3-6 months.

Don't decide which branch on whether you like "flying" or "the sea" the best. Unless you're a pilot, you're not flying unless you're going from one base to another.

Good luck with your choice and thank you for your future service.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

My son is extremely intelligent - tested vey high on his ASVAB. So, this statement is incorrect to say the least.

U can b a semen or an airman lol
  • Nailrep
    Options
    i wish i could give you some magical advice that would show you the way...but i can't. i recently went Navy and am awaiting boot camp in september, i chose navy because i prefer water over flying lol. but if you don't mind either one then you need to right out a pros and cons list, which ever has more pros i'd go with lol. The other option is if you are for sure marrying this guy then maybe go with Air force. But NEVER choose a branch based on a man that you are not sure about, you wouldn't want to regret your decision. best of luck to you!...p.s. my name is Brittney :)

YAY!! GO NAVY!!
  • Nailrep
    Options

U can b a semen or an airman lol

He was a SAILOR. LOL!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I served in the Army for several years and my Brother just retired (24 years) from the Air Force.

1: Enlisting in the Navy is not a gaurentee that you guys will be apart. Not everyone in the Navy serves on a ship. As a matter of fact, when I was stationed in Augsburg, Germany I worked with several Navy personnel. If you look at it on a map, you will see that it is about 400 miles from the closest blue water port. Now, being in seperate branches is already difficult enough to get stationed together. For that matter, even IF you were to enlist in the Army, there is STILL not a gaurentee you will end up with a white picket fence and 2.5 kids.

2: You had mentioned the field that you want to pursue and you obviously know that all four branches offers that field but, one thing you said was that they were "slightly equal in pay".
    In fact, they are ABSOLUTLY equal in pay. The United States Military gives you a base salery according to your "E Grade" (Assuming you are enlisted and not an officer but, more on that later). There are some bonuses for particular job sets but, JAG is the same no matter what your branch so, please don't let money be a factor because it does not matter.
    However, speaking of money....

3: Promotions. Traditionaly, the Air Force is much slower to hand out rank then the Navy is. What this means to you is that in four years, you would probably be a higher rank in the Navy then you would be in the Air Force and, Rank = $$$

4: Education opportunity: When you are in the Military, you do have a golden opportunity to advance your education free of charge. Keep in mind however that you will be working a full time job AND trying to go to school at the same time. If you get deployed or even have to go one a training exercise for a few weeks, too bad for school. I took Political Science SEVEN times because of stuff like that. The Air Force tends to keep people in the same place for longer.

5: Finally, we have quality of life. I was VERY lucky to have been stationed three hours away from my Big Brother while in Germany and I don't mind telling you that the Air Force treats it's people better then any other service. If I had to do it over, I would have joined the Air Force.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion either way. Just wanted to let you know that you can't decide based on air or sea.... My guy spent 7 years in the Navy and never once stepped foot on a ship. He did spend a year of the seven in the Middle East. Of all things he worked on aircraft avionics in the Navy and continues to do so now as a civilian contractor on a Navy base. He gets paid more doing that than he ever would if he put his sociology or political science degree to use. He worked on the degrees online via a traditional brick and mortar university.

His uncle is retired JAG, he hated every moment in the Navy, he also never set foot on a ship. He tried to do civilian law after JAG but it just didn't work out for him.

Good Luck!
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Go Air Force...

I did 4 years in the Air Force...I went in as E3 because of my college credits.

Air Force is way more relaxed than the Navy...it transitions better to the corporate sector....I am currently in the D.C area doing work for DoD contractors.

Air Force facilities are wayyy better than the Navy...I had my own room. My friend who was in the Navy had to share her room.
    Air Force Dining Facility is so great....We had lobster and steak on some days...My dad who did 23 years in the Army thought he was sitting in Ruth's Chris....Now mind you I was stationed at Langley AFB...which is the 1st Fighter Wing...ACC Headquarters...VERY prestigious base...When I got tours to Kuwait and Turkey for Operations....I even had t.v. with cable, play stations, fridge, and my on set up in the Tent....Air Force really knows how to treat their soilders....

Plus if you scored high on the ASVAB...you can PICK your job..don't be fooled...I scored high in the ASVAB and they wanted me to be a Fighter mechanic...I only wanted to do Accounting and finance...and they tried like hell to get me to be a Fighter Jet Mechanic...but because I scored so high..the broke down and gave me a contract iin Accounting and Finance....

Aim high!

When you visit friends in the Navy you will thank all those pushing Air Force...
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I served in the Army for several years and my Brother just retired (24 years) from the Air Force.

1: Enlisting in the Navy is not a gaurentee that you guys will be apart. Not everyone in the Navy serves on a ship. As a matter of fact, when I was stationed in Augsburg, Germany I worked with several Navy personnel. If you look at it on a map, you will see that it is about 400 miles from the closest blue water port. Now, being in seperate branches is already difficult enough to get stationed together. For that matter, even IF you were to enlist in the Army, there is STILL not a gaurentee you will end up with a white picket fence and 2.5 kids.

2: You had mentioned the field that you want to pursue and you obviously know that all four branches offers that field but, one thing you said was that they were "slightly equal in pay".
    In fact, they are ABSOLUTLY equal in pay. The United States Military gives you a base salery according to your "E Grade" (Assuming you are enlisted and not an officer but, more on that later). There are some bonuses for particular job sets but, JAG is the same no matter what your branch so, please don't let money be a factor because it does not matter.
    However, speaking of money....

3: Promotions. Traditionaly, the Air Force is much slower to hand out rank then the Navy is. What this means to you is that in four years, you would probably be a higher rank in the Navy then you would be in the Air Force and, Rank = $$$

4: Education opportunity: When you are in the Military, you do have a golden opportunity to advance your education free of charge. Keep in mind however that you will be working a full time job AND trying to go to school at the same time. If you get deployed or even have to go one a training exercise for a few weeks, too bad for school. I took Political Science SEVEN times because of stuff like that. The Air Force tends to keep people in the same place for longer.

5: Finally, we have quality of life. I was VERY lucky to have been stationed three hours away from my Big Brother while in Germany and I don't mind telling you that the Air Force treats it's people better then any other service. If I had to do it over, I would have joined the Air Force.

I co-sign this...

My dad and mom were Army..and they said the same thing....

What makes Air Force promotion process so slow is the fact that it's way more competitive than the Army's or Navy's...

My dad has been busted in the Army and gain rank fast...

I always joke that in the Navy and the Army you gain rank fast...and you can get busted for the pettiest of things...

it's hard to lose rank in the AF...so easy on their people