Am i stupid or is everyone else?

Options
joeylu
joeylu Posts: 208 Member
When ppl say muscle weighs more than fat is that wrong? A lb of fat is equal to a lb of muscle because they are both a lb, right? I was just told that muscle takes up less space than fat in the body. If I am wrong please tell me so I dont snap everytime someone says this to me, lol

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,999 Member
    Options
    You know what they mean. Why make such a big deal about it?
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Muscle does take up less space. You're right...a lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb of fat....but a lb of muscle is significantly smaller than a lb of fat.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    There are a TON of other posts on here about this.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    People say that - but it's just one of those things that are said. A pound, is a pound, is a pound. Muscle is more dense than fat, so it takes up less space.

So basically - you are right. But don't snap on people. ;)
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Muscle is a denser material than fat. If you take a square inch of fat and square inch of muscle, the muscle will weigh more.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound, regardless of what it's made of.

Muscle is denser than fat, meaning a pound of muscle takes up less space (on your body) than a pound of fat.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    muscle is more DENSE then fat, yes a lb is a lb regardless of what the substance is. but liek above said you know what they mean so why get bothered about it, and the statement 'muscle weighs more than fat' is technically correct muscle per volume does weigh more than fat,
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside I dont want to get into a discussion with someone if I don't know all the facts.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Its meant in a certain context

So if for example you lost inches off your neck and arms and waist after three weeks of working out, you my not of lost as much weight as you think, as your body will have increased the amount of muscle.
  • amymckmuffin
    Options
    As i understand it muscle does take up less space in the body than fat does. If you measure out 1lb of fat and 1lb of muscle, ofcourse they are both going to weigh 1lb...you measured it. But when you lose fat you get lighter, gaining muscle can mean you gain lbs but you are a fitter smaller person.
  • Raechel_R
    Raechel_R Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Correct. Also as more people say it wrong.... others continue to out of habit. Saying words incorrectly is the same situation. You say it wrong because a lot of other people do.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    5 lbs of feathers weight the same as a 5 pound bowling ball
  • rosemadderv
    Options
    Oh god this again. heh.

A Pound is a pound. Just like an oz is an oz.

You are in fact right- muscle takes up less space- image below.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY9DLa0gu6PIQWm47t_T4PL4ZvWh0YCdqp4mJaS2v9jzjKqq6j

Honestly, it's mostly not worth bothering with when people say in incorrectly because ya know what- you can tell what they are getting at even if what they are actually saying is idiotic.

A pound of feathers takes up a heck of a lot more space than a pound of meat. Use that example if you need to. :)
  • AwesomeTerri
    Options
    Basically, muscle is more dense than fat. If I have a size 18 pair of pants full of muscle, I will weigh more than if I am solid fat. A pound of rocks weighs the same as a pound of cotton...one of them takes up less space.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    If you Like MFP on Facebook there is awesome picture on their right now showing on a scale the difference between how much 5 pounds of fat looks like versus what 5 pounds of muscle looks like. It is sort of gross because it is actual fat and muscle, but it really clears up any questions about it!