30 day shred or.....

Options
So I've been doing insanity the past month and have been enjoying it. My mom has shown interest in it, but she has not worked out herself a lot. After reading a lot of different topics, I've read a lot of stories about 30 Day Shred. I wanted some insight on whether this workout would be good for a beginner, because I know that Insanity has not been easy at my level.

If not 30 day shred, what other programs out there would you recommend for someone who is starting out.

Replies

• lindseejill29
    Options
    So I've been doing insanity the past month and have been enjoying it. My mom has shown interest in it, but she has not worked out herself a lot. After reading a lot of different topics, I've read a lot of stories about 30 Day Shred. I wanted some insight on whether this workout would be good for a beginner, because I know that Insanity has not been easy at my level.

If not 30 day shred, what other programs out there would you recommend for someone who is starting out.

I did 30 Day Shred last summer and LOVED it!! I recommend it to everyone I can. Combined with running and eating better, I really dropped some stubborn belly fat I was looking to get rid of. I also got a lot more definition in my arms and legs which is what I really loved. :) It's definitely a tough workout, even the beginner (level 1) work out is tough and you will be sweating profusely by the end, but Jillian does provide modifications to the exercises if you need them. I loved it and plan on starting it up again soon. :) Good luck to both you and your mom!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    30DS is a wonderful beginner workout. It's what I started with and to say I was a beginner is a serious understatement. What's so great is how quickly you feel stronger. It truly made the difference for me in wanting to keep exercising and knowing I was strong enough to do it.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the quick info....I'll be getting this for my mom then and trying to force, I mean help her stick to it as best as she can. which means I will probably be doing this as well.
  • Shannonlastname
    Shannonlastname Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I couldn't really get in to 30 ds but it really could have just been my mindset at the time. I just started JMs Ripped in 30 and I absolutely love it.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Definitely 30 Day Shred, awesome program. Doing Ripped In 30 now, will probably do 6 Week 6 Pack after. A lot of the core / plank moves are the same in 30DS and RI30. However, all of Jillian's DVDs are effective.
  • jplentl
    jplentl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I did 30 Day Shred last summer and LOVED it!! I recommend it to everyone I can. Combined with running and eating better, I really dropped some stubborn belly fat I was looking to get rid of. I also got a lot more definition in my arms and legs which is what I really loved. :) It's definitely a tough workout, even the beginner (level 1) work out is tough and you will be sweating profusely by the end, but Jillian does provide modifications to the exercises if you need them. I loved it and plan on starting it up again soon. :) Good luck to both you and your mom!
    [/quote]

How much extra running did you do and did you do it every single day or did you rest in between? I just started yesterday and want the absolute best results I can get.
  • lindseejill29
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How much extra running did you do and did you do it every single day or did you rest in between? I just started yesterday and want the absolute best results I can get.
    [/quote]

Hello! :) I was also training for a Ragnar relay race at the same time I was doing 30 DS so I had a running schedule that they had given me, but basically I would run 5 days a week. I would usually come home from work, do a quick run (maybe 2-3 miles or so) and then come home and do the 30 DS. I know some people say to do every other day or rest in between but that worked best with my schedule. Whatever works best for you and your body. :) Also, I've recently started doing speed walking at 15% incline on the treadmill or intervals on the treadmill and those are both KILLER fat blasters! Good luck. :)
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do you need extra equipment for 30 Day Shred or is it all you?

I've wanted to try something at home to add to my walking and occasional spinning bike.
    I have no weights or other home exercise equipment.
  • jillthemom
    jillthemom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The only equipment you will need for the 30 DS is hand weights. Maybe a mat, too, if you are doing it on a hard surface.
  • Skinny4BG
    Skinny4BG Posts: 145
    Options
    Do you need extra equipment for 30 Day Shred or is it all you?

I've wanted to try something at home to add to my walking and occasional spinning bike.
    I have no weights or other home exercise equipment.

I am currently doing 30DS and all you need extra for it is a small set of hand weights. I use 3lbers and am getting really good results already. I also job for 30-40 mins a night only for the extra help on my hips and thighs. But its definitely a great workout!
  • jillthemom
    jillthemom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can buy hand weights for cheap at Target and Walmart. I just bought some at Five Below, for $5 each. That was the cheapest I have seen them.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    sorry this may be a silly question....

but how much physical space do you need to do 30DS? My workout area is really small... (like 5' x 7' yikes!) and i am wondering if i will be able to even do 30DS in that space?
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I LOVED 30DS. But, honestly, if you are not a beginner I would suggest Ripped in 30 instead. I restarted 30DS after two months of not exercising and I blew through level 1 with hardly a sweat. But you can give it a try. I love Jillian!
  • JenniAlfaro
    JenniAlfaro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can also recommend Leslie Sandsone's Walk At Home DVDs...I was skeptical as per their intensity but they are effective workouts that require little to no equipment!
  • bubsmom10
    bubsmom10 Posts: 43
    Options
    I lost my first 10 lbs with 30 ds and i lost the next 20 with biggest loser cardio max and running :)...im now doing insanity imalmost on week 4 I def recommend all of these workouts :)
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    sorry this may be a silly question....

but how much physical space do you need to do 30DS? My workout area is really small... (like 5' x 7' yikes!) and i am wondering if i will be able to even do 30DS in that space?

I can get away with doing the shred in a really small space, like the space between my bed and my closet LOL -- some of the moves I venture into the bathroom to do for more leg space, but I think you could make it work!!
  • htebazile74
    Options
    I love the 30 Day Shred too! Already after just 3 days my stomach feels different/less bloaty! I have a small space to workout in as well..you just need enough room to do some push ups and jumping jacks. Jillian kicks *kitten*!! I can't wait to see the results after 30 days!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I started 30 DS last week and I'm not a complete beginner, so it didn't half-kill me like I hear it does with some people. I was able to buy 3 lb weights at Wal-Mart for $3.77 each. A yoga mat is recommended, but not an absolute necessity. Additionally, if you don't have money for hand weights, you can start out with bottles of water, which weigh 1 lb each... Just a thought. And as far as space, you need enough room to be able to do pushups, jumping jacks, and to lay down for crunches. HTH. Also, I just finished with level one and have all ready seen a difference. It's not a shocking huge difference, but you can see it in my abs & arms a bit. I posted pics here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/559661-just-finished-level-1-of-30-ds-pics
  • Anu_mee13
    Anu_mee13 Posts: 73
    Options
    I just finished the shred this past Saturday. When I started, I could barely do the modified version for push-ups. I kept doing the workout daily, and noticed that I was getting stronger. I was in poor physical shape, but I'm progressing. I recommend the shred to anyone that has the ability to workout out. You'll see the results. My results are in my profile pic. Not the best pic, but the shred really made a difference.
  • priescm
    priescm Posts: 95
    Options
    I also like Power 90 as a beginner program. The 30 day shred gets boring to me after 10 days so I have never finished it. :indifferent: Currently on day 8 of Power 90 and still going though! :smile: