Hypothetical relationship question

Options

Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I guess you'd have to look into why it is you don't want to call him that, because if you're not going to be with anyone else, but don't want to say boyfriend, I guess you'd say guy/man friend or something like that. Would it bother me? eventually yes, probably not at first, because everything's new

I just want you to know jackpot you are going to be the first person to lose to me in Words with Friends... how does that make you feel?

Sorry Jodi, off the subject =)
    Well, you're the first person I'm actually playing in this game, so yeah I would expect it LOL....have I told you what's worse than a sore loser???? YOU :laugh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I guess you'd have to look into why it is you don't want to call him that, because if you're not going to be with anyone else, but don't want to say boyfriend, I guess you'd say guy/man friend or something like that. Would it bother me? eventually yes, probably not at first, because everything's new
    I was thinking boy companion....
    That sounds kinky.

I don't think I'd be offended by a lack of label. I don't think you have to say, "This is my boyfriend Bob". You could just say, "This is Bob". Your friends will already know all about him, and if you're introducing him to a casual acquaintance, it doesn't really matter if they know your precise relationship.

But whatever consensus you get here isn't really important... it's what the two of you feel about it that matters.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah... this is so hypothetical. Actually, I find it odd that the label bothers you. I can't ever imagine this scenario. You're quite quirky, you know that?
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options

This makes you sound like you like lil boys.. maybe Man companion or guy companion...
  • jackpotclown
    Options

lol my folks used to call them "lady friends" if I wasn't going with the girlfriend label
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options

I just want you to know jackpot you are going to be the first person to lose to me in Words with Friends... how does that make you feel?

Well, you're the first person I'm actually playing in this game, so yeah I would expect it LOL....have I told you what's worse than a sore loser???? YOU :laugh:

Ohhhhhhhhhh I just let you know your place that is all!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Honestly, yes I would be a little offended. I like to know what to call someone rather than, "Hey this is Bob."

I feel the same
  • jackpotclown
    Options
    I guess if you really want to go old school, the term is "gentleman caller"
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah... this is so hypothetical. Actually, I find it odd that the label bothers you. I can't ever imagine this scenario. You're quite quirky, you know that?

lmoa, you are just now figuring that out!?
  • felice03
    Options
    I guess if you really want to go old school, the term is "gentleman caller"

oh, i like that!!!
  • jackpotclown
    Options

On a side note, since we're going there.....Qi is a word? that's the cheapest thing I've ever seen
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    if we are in the sack together we better be bf/gf unless we are swinging
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the label boyfriend- I always referred to them as my manbeasts.
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options

[/quote]
    On a side note, since we're going there.....Qi is a word? that's the cheapest thing I've ever seen
    [/quote]

You would be surprised of the words which are actually words that do not really seem like words. Just wait. You will be shocked.
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    I don't care for the label boyfriend- I always referred to them as my manbeasts.

Way to make them feel manly. lol. This made me laugh out loud!
  • felice03
    Options

I am adding this one to the list.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I dislike the term "boyfriend" because it makes me feel like I'm 16. I mean, I'm pretty sure that if nothing else qualifies him as a man, those two deployments must have bumped him up into adult status. I used it for a lack of better terms (he's my husband now), but it irritated me. If the person acts like you're in a relationship, and treats you well, I wouldn't be too worried about the label. I would ask the person why they don't want the label, but other than that, I'd just go with it. It will make things socially difficult, how do you introduce him?
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    Sometimes when Phil is thinking he is being funny and wants to embarrass me, he introduces me as his "roomate"...
  • felice03
    Options
    I dislike the term "boyfriend" because it makes me feel like I'm 16. I mean, I'm pretty sure that if nothing else qualifies him as a man, those two deployments must have bumped him up into adult status. I used it for a lack of better terms (he's my husband now), but it irritated me. If the person acts like you're in a relationship, and treats you well, I wouldn't be too worried about the label. I would ask the person why they don't want the label, but other than that, I'd just go with it. It will make things socially difficult, how do you introduce him?

by his name...A few times when talking about him to someone that doesn't know him, its "the guy i am dating"...
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I would not be offended if I knew the relationship was exclusive and that eventually that title would come into play. I would say, fine, don't call me your girlfriend, but it's either that or "Lover". ;)

I hate "lover" it squigs me out. Like when someone introduces you to someone, "And this is Bob, my lover." Somehow it feels like TMI, even though it's really not any different than boy/girlfriend, partner, etc.. I have a friend who will tell her plumber "my lover will be home when you get here." I feel like your plumber doesn't need to know that. My response is irrational (and slightly sex phobic, which is weird, since I am not), I know, but still there.