Protein Question

Options
dimplzz
dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
I tend to go over my protein everyday and I know that isn't a bad thing, but would it be bad to add even more protein to the mix? I am having a problem with after my workouts. I can't get my workout in until between 8-9 every night (besides weekend). By the time that I am done working out, it is between 9-10:30. I don't typically feel like eating anything and I know that I need to replenish my body. I just got back from GNC and bought Pro Preformance 100% whey protein. So should I watch my protein more throughout the day so that I am not going way over or continue to do what I am doing and add the whey protein to it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Protein after working out is VERY important. I think it depends on the extent of your work other weather you really need to worry about your protein intake. When I was working out for 2+ hours a day I needed all the protein I could get and then some. Are you lifting weights or just cardio? Theres a lot of factors that go into the amount of protein you need. Overall I wouldn't worry about it too much though
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Protein after working out is VERY important. I think it depends on the extent of your work other weather you really need to worry about your protein intake. When I was working out for 2+ hours a day I needed all the protein I could get and then some. Are you lifting weights or just cardio? Theres a lot of factors that go into the amount of protein you need. Overall I wouldn't worry about it too much though

I do more cardio then strengh training but I do both. I either do the 30 day shred video and the couch to 5k program on the treadmill. Or I will do the treadmill and a turbo jam video (both cardio) or I will do weight reps on my own of different things and the treadmill. I try to at least do a little of both. If I work out 2 days in a row, I will just do cardio the second day to give my muscles a rest.
  • ddeandreis
    ddeandreis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There' a couple of things you need to answer before you come to conclusion:

1) how much protein are you currently taking daily
    2) what kind of workouts are you doing - level of intensity

my guess is that if you have a balanced enough diet and you have enough energy to make it through your evening workout, you likely won't need to take any "additional" protein post workout. Again, it depends on you goals, current protein consumption and type of workout.
  • dimplzz
    Options
    There' a couple of things you need to answer before you come to conclusion:

1) how much protein are you currently taking daily
    2) what kind of workouts are you doing - level of intensity

my guess is that if you have a balanced enough diet and you have enough energy to make it through your evening workout, you likely won't need to take any "additional" protein post workout. Again, it depends on you goals, current protein consumption and type of workout.

1) It is set my MFP to 50 for my daily goal. I am usually between 60-80 and sometimes I go over 90.
    2) see above :happy:
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about your protein consumption too much considering your work out. Maybe try and lay off it a little during the day but don't sweat it too much
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I would echo a few of the statements above. In that, 1st you need to differentiate between aerobic workouts (where no additional protein is needed after a workout) and anaerobic workouts (I.E. weight training and/or some kind of High intensity training). If your workouts are mainly aerobic, then I wouldn't worry about extra protein, I would focus on making sure you have enough energy to get through the workout, the best way to do that is to have a good complex carbohydrate snack or meal about 2 to 3 hours before hand (not too much, maybe 150 to 250 cals worth should do for an hour to hour and a half moderate workout).

With the amount of protein you are averaging, not much additional protein would be needed, even after anaerobic workouts. If you did want to have some extra after, I would make it a small amount (perhaps half a serving size), because, even though a large portion of muscle building is done immediately after an anaerobic workout, usually our bodies have enough amino acids to handle it, assuming you are already eating about 20% or so as part of your normal calories. And make sure if you do have extra, you pair it with a complex carb like whole wheat toast or something.
  • ninazisko
    ninazisko Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is that you ingest 1g of protein per pound of body weight; So say you weigh 130 Lbs, you would strive to ingest 130 g of protein. Sometimes, if your workouts are rigorous, and I mean rigorous, you can go for 1.5-2 g of protein per pond of body weight. Hope that answers your question.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is that you ingest 1g of protein per pound of body weight; So say you weigh 130 Lbs, you would strive to ingest 130 g of protein. Sometimes, if your workouts are rigorous, and I mean rigorous, you can go for 1.5-2 g of protein per pond of body weight. Hope that answers your question.

it's actually 1 g per kg of body weight, not pound, Per the RDA. Specifically it's .8 g to 1.2 g per kg. or about 1g per every 2 lbs.
  • vwise
    vwise Posts: 12
    Options
    LISTEN, its NOT 1g of protein per lb of body weight, Its 1g of protein per kilagram of body weight. so divide your body weight by 2.2. Now just like everything else if you eat to much of one thing it WILL be stored. If you eat to much protein it will be stored in your cells so, NO dont take any more protein. if you are trying to lose weight you want 0.74g of protein per kilagram of body weight. if you are trying to gain muscle mass you want 1g of protein per kilagram of body weight. You can only do one or the other. If you are trying lose weight dont lift heavy. If you are trying gain strength and size dont do high reps. Pick one or the other and work towards that goal.

Vwise
    BS Sports science, ACSM, NASM/CES/ PES
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will just stick with what I am doing and if I am short on protein after working out then I will add it to my smoothie otherwise I will just keep at it. Thanks for the advice!