yellow summer squash -recipes?????

Options
Cindysunshine
Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
What can I make with yellow summer squash? Can you slice it up and season it and cook it ? Would it taste good like that? How would I cook it? I was thinking italian seasoning but I do not know how to cook it. steam,fry ,bake ? Help please..... Cindy :heart:

Replies

• YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I cook it all I do is steam it....it has a wonderful taste by itself
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    We sautee it in a pan with some Pam, onions, salt & pepper and melt just a smidge of cheddar cheese on top. GOODNESS is it good, and (how to be polite about it) can be a fabulous remedy to some constipation.
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am a squash :heart: er!!!!
    This is my favortie wy to cook it
    2tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup squash
    1/4 spinage
    1/8 cup onion
    1 clove garlic mashed
    cook in pan until wilted (6 mins or so)
    and eat!!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Yum O
    I also have some otehr squash recepies:)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Here's how I get my kids to eat it - not the healthiest choice but I'll serve it with grilled chicken and another green steamed veggie like broccoli...

about 2 cups of par boiled squash or fully boiled (add onions too), drained
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 sleeze reduced fat ritz or townhouse crushed in hand
    2 cups shredded cheddar
    about 1/4 cup reduced fat mayo
    1/4 cup egg beaters or 2 egg whites

mix it all together bake 325 for about 45m - 1 hr (it will be brown on top)

My kids hate squash and both eat this. I do a similiar thing with broccoli but with no crackers and double the egg - they eat it too!
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    thanks guys- One more question- do I peel it first or can you just was it up and slice and cook? Cindy :heart:
  • CatheyJ
    CatheyJ Posts: 16
    Options
    Its also good sauteed in a little bit of oil or cooking spray with fresh green beans and cherry tomatoes..

Saute garlic (1-2 cloves minced) and 1/2 lb fresh snap green beans in skillet for about 5 minutes.. add sliced squash ( one will do) and cherry tomatoes ( about a cup) and cook another 5 minutes. sprinkle with parmesano reggiano... Delicious!

I usually add some whole wheat cheese ravioli ( 9 oz) to this too to make a complete meal. ( cook ravioli according to package directions- add to mixture before adding cheese.
  • CatheyJ
    CatheyJ Posts: 16
    Options
    no need to peel.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    squash just needs to be rinsed and then rubbed dry...don't peel it! You'll loose a lot of flavor and nutrients.
    My favorite way to cook it is roasted under the broiler with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I love summer squash! Just wash, slice (no peeling), saute in a little olive oil with some garlic salt, and enjoy! Sometimes I add zucchini. I think I need to go buy some now . . .
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    No need to peel....all the vitamins are in the skin!
  • cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    This is what I have been doing with it.

1 serving equals around 125 calories and is a huge serving

1 cup yellow squash cut in thick chunks
    1 slice bacon cut into pieces
    3 oz raw mushrooms
    1 medium carrot peeled and cut in chunks
    1 green onion cut in pieces
    1/2 of an ice cube

Use a piece of aluminum foil large enough to make a packet and spray it with Pam or other cooking spray. Put half the bacon on the foil and top with all the veggies then put other half of bacon on top. I season it with salt and garlic pepper (sometimes some creole). Put the ice cube on and make foil into a packet sealing tight. Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how done you like your veggies. My parents love this and my picky husband will even eat it.

I have also done all of the above and put some chicken tenderloins in the packet to get my protein too. It's super yummy.:wink:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Hi everyone, Thanks so much for the squash tips. :flowerforyou: I sliced them up and sauted them in a little bit of olive oil with italian seasoning and fresh black pepper and some salt. I liked it but I think next time I'll try something differant with them. Cindy :heart:
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    when i cook on the grill, squash is one of my favorite dishes. I slice up squash, zucchini, raw mushrooms, sometimes tomatoes, but usually not. Then i put them on a sheet of tin foil (well 1 portion per sheet). Spray the sheet with olive oil cooking spray first, or run with a small amount of butter. I put about a tsp of water, then lay out the veggies. I ad a couple pinches of salt and pepper, sometimes a little season-all. Then i fold them up into neat little packets and throw them right on the grill. It only takes about 5-10 minutes (on low indirect heat, usually when i'm makin ribs), depending on how you like your squash. 10 minutes and they will definitely be soft. 5 minutes and they will be soft, but still a little firm.