Anyone else on a plateau too scared to up calories?

Options
Hi Guys,

This may sound a bit warped but I've been doing MFP for almost 7 months now and lost 29lbs. I've been cycling around between the same 5lbs for about 8 weeks now. I'm 5ft 6" and my goal is to lose at least another 14lbs. I'm on 1350 calories a day and do an hours walk every morning which gives me an extra 217. I do a 40 minute cardio/strength workout 3 times a week and do a lot of extra walking.

I'm pretty good at sticking to my calories and I always eat back my exercise calories.

I've been told and I've read numerous posts about needing to up calories to break a plateau. I changed my goals to lose 1/2 lb a week which bumped my calories up to 1660. I didn't notice any change in the week that I tried to eat these and actually struggled to eat enough. I am actually worried about eating more as I've gotten so used to eating 1350 for the past 7 months. I switched back to my original calorie intake and I'm back on the plateau cycling around 11st 8lbs give or take 5lbs.

I know it's ridiculous but I'm convinced I'll gain all the weight I've worked so hard to lose by upping my calories.

Does anyone else have the fear?

Replies

• cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I just upped mine and lost 2 lbs in a week. You may also try just one or two days of higher cals. Sometimes that's enough to trick the body into resetting.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you could gain more than a couple of pounds without noticing it. What's to be scared of? You aren't going to wake up a week from now weighing 29 pounds more.
  • canary986
    canary986 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    True, I realise I'm being slightly irrational, think it's just imprinted in my brain that seeing weight gain on the scales is bad.

Need to just do it!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    If you've only got 14lbs to go, switching to half a lb per week is recommended.

You are not going to gain fat as you will still be eating at a deficit from your maintenance calories.