Runners! bridge to 10K.. walk breaks?

Options
Hi. I have two questions. First regarding walk breaks, second, regarding pace.

First, I recently completed C25K, which in the last few weeks doesn't include any walk breaks. The last day of C25K is obviously, a 5K. I ran my first 5K in about 31.05. Then, I started training with the bridge to 10K. Every session includes walk breaks until (I think) the last day. I'm signed up for two 4 milers, one next weekend and one the weekend after and am a bit worried for a few reasons.

First, I'm nervous that I'm no longer used to running without the breaks. I feel like I should run the whole thing without walk breaks to get my best pace, even though I know a lot of the research says walk breaks do the opposite (but I haven't really seen that with me, as you will see below). I AM running for fun, but I get discouraged when I don't get a race time that I'm happy with, so I want to pick a strategy that will help me get my best time.

My second concern is that I picked the wrong training program. The whole program is running interspersed with walking, and I'm afraid that I will lose my ability to just run straight through.

Finally, I've noticed that my pace has just decreased and decreased the more time (and distance) I add to my runs. For example: Today I ran 4.26 miles, running 17 minutes and walking one minute, repeating 3 times. I am worried that I am slacking and really slowing down. I run about two miles at a 9:20 pace, and a 5K at about a 10:05 pace. My pace today is significantly shorter. Am I not pushing myself fast enough? What should I do? I am such a new beginning running that I've been focusing on endurance and time (and a little bit distance) and don't know that I'm quite ready to look at speed, though I really want the speed.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks for reading!

Replies

• LetsDoThis103
    Options
    Hi yesthistime, thanks for the links, but I already searched these and didn't really see answers to exactly what I was asking. Is there a particular one you saw that has the info I need? I may just be missing it. Thanks!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The longer you run, the slower your pace will be and should be.

I'm still trying to build my endurance back up after an injury, but last fall, my 5k pace was about 30 seconds faster per mile than my 10k pace. And I'm always, always, ALWAYS way faster during races than when just out running by myself.

Since you can already cover more than 4 miles with a couple walk breaks, plan a few longer runs before your race to practice. I didn't do bridge to 10k... I followed a different training plan, but you don't need to rigidly stick to the plan. It's more of a guideline.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to do the walk breaks and you don't need them then you don't have to do them.

About your running speed: Do not try to set a running record on every training run. This is counterproductive and will slow down your progress and will probably cause you to quit running because it will soon become too hard to sustain. You do not have to run fast on every run to get the desired training benefits. Sometimes, especially if you are tired, run at a speed where you can easily talk. Most of the time, run at a slightly faster pace where talking is still possible but extended conversations are not really comfortable because of your breathing rate. (This is still an easy run). Infrequently, maybe once or twice a week run fast for a shorter distance (If you're just starting out you need to just run easy for several months to build the strength and endurance to a level where you run the fast workouts at the intensity and duration needed for results).

If you want to race well then run more often and longer using the guidlines above.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You've proved you can run 3 miles without walking so I don't think you need the walk breaks. Once I was running 3 miles straight, I increased the distance on my one long run a week by 1/2 a mile. I used Hal Higdon's training schedule for 10K.

Congrats by the way on your first 5K...your time was great!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    You can already run 3 miles with out a walk break, so now just increase you distinace a little at every run. Start with just an extra 1/2 mile from the run before. You push you self to complete that last 1/2 mile. You know you can do it!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You can already run 3 miles with out a walk break, so now just increase you distinace a little at every run. Start with just an extra 1/2 mile from the run before. You push you self to complete that last 1/2 mile. You know you can do it!

This is good advice ^

Don't walk if you feel you don't need or want to OP, there are no hard and fast rules and if you feel you do not wish to have the walking breaks, don't do them.
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    thanks! :)
  • vsolari1208
    Options
    I am thinking maybe jog slow instead of walking and jog faster when is time to jog.
    I wonder if this will help with time and endurance.