Thoughts about babies and weight loss?

Options
yoashisme
yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
ok so I have only lose eleven pounds since starting Mfp but I feel great about it and want to lose more. Well my husband an I got to talking about when we wanted children and we decided we might start in the fall because that's when my job will be over. That way if I get pregnant I don't have to work and I can just e a stay at home mom. Ok well I told my best friend about what we had talked about and she said why stay on the track of losing weight when all I am going to do is get fat when I get pregnant.. So she thinks I should just wait till after I have the baby to start losing weight but I am not sure if I want to do that. Any thoughts?

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Don't listen! Be as healthy as you can before getting pregnant! You don't have to gain a ton of weight and "get fat" when you have a baby. Being on a healthy eating plan prior is best b/c then you will have the habit formed for when you do get pregnant.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Be your best all the time. Period!!! Why wait until you have even more to lose? And some people have a baby and go right back to where they were without much effort (not me, but I've heard of it! LOL). Get healthy, get pregnant and continue your healthy habits, pass them on to your child and enjoy a long, healthy life!
  • yoashisme
    yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    diet= wrong word
    lifestyle change= correct word

did you know if you are over weight the chances of your baby being born with autism increases?
    you should be eating healthy and workout regardless
    and if you are overweight by a large amount you can lose while weight during
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Being pregnant is not the same as "getting fat". Yes, you gain weight. But it's weight gained for a purpose, and when done sensibly, is actually beneficial to your body in the long run. Breastfeeding is much, much harder without that reservoir of fat put on during pregnancy, and it helps to maintain hormone levels after birth for various things. I would NOT put the weight gained in pregnancy in the same category as someone who is just getting fat because they're living a bad lifestyle.

You should be healthy when you begin a pregnancy. The healthier your weight and overall system is (like cardiovascular, muscular, etc.), the healthier and easier your pregnancy will be. You don't want to start a pregnancy being more unhealthy, so why not continue to work towards your goals until you get pregnant? You'll feel better emotionally and physically, and you can't lose with that. I even worked out my entire pregnancy, stayed active, and recovered really well, along with a very successful breastfeeding experience.

Being healthy is awesome! Keep it up, and pass on your health to your child. :)
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You don't want to put if off period. If you are overweight it can make if difficult to get pregnant in the first place. Planning a family is a great time to get into shape and start with healthier eating habbits. There is a difference in getting fat while your pregnat and gaining an appropriate amount of weight. If you continue to eat healthy, mainly you will gain the weight that you NEED to gain and not become "fat" in the process! I tried for a while to get pregnant with both of my pregnancy's and it wasn't untill I decided to "diet" and actually lost some weight that it actually happened. So NO . Don't "wait". Continue what you're doing and good luck to you! :)