i have bad new..... and i need help

landry1
landry1 Posts: 58 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
i woke up yesterday not able to move with a sharp pain in my back. i went to the Dr. today and found out that i have a pinched nerve in my back. this means that i can't work-out. I've been doing great for 11 weeks and now i can't work out:sad:

what can i do to not gain back the weight and stay motivated until i can work out again:cry: ?

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    You will be able to work out again soon - when you start make sure you are warming up before and stretching really really good after.

Just be careful on your food choices - you'll be ok
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    TO make sure you don't overeat, set your weight loss goals on here to .5 per week, that will give you a small deficit to make sure you don't gain weight, but will also let you eat more so that you dont' end up really falling off the wagon.

And just keep doing how you're doing, if you stress eat, then eat carrots or celery or something like that, that ends up being negative calories because they take more calories to digest than they have in them. Stuff like that. Plan your meails and make sure to eat your snacks, and that they are healthy.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Did he say you can't even go for short walks? If he didn't specifically say this, you many want to call him and ask if that is ok. I'm not talking "fitness" walks, but rather strolls. I'm asking as when I hernitated a disk in my back, my doctor told me that as soon as I was able to stand up again I should so short strolls as this can help keep everything loose. I was also told to have someone go with me "just in case". Obviously, I'm not a doctor, which is why it's important to verify with your doctor again. I hope you feel better soon!!!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Does it hurt when you walk, and did he say if you're able to go for a walk at a moderate pace? Walking may not make you sweat a whole lot, but it's great exercise, and better than nothing while your recooperating.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Weird coincidence, we posted this article this morning on our boards in the studio...

Aerobics - pinched nerve exercise
    Because your nerves require blood and nutrients to be pumped to them through arteries, it is very important to keep you heart healthy and working at maximum efficiency. Being inactive, sitting at a computer all day, laying in bed or just plain and simple leading a lazy lifestyle is a recipe for disaster. It is important to mix in a good aerobic exercise routine to keep you heart in good condition. By increasing the hearts condition more blood and nutrients can be pumped to the pinched nerve helping the nerve to heal quicker.
  • landry1
    landry1 Posts: 58 Member
    i go back to the Dr tomorrow so i'll ask about exercise.

thanks for all the suggestions. i changed my goals and now i feel ok about resting.
    :happy:
This discussion has been closed.