Alcohol affecting my progress!

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My friends have a girl night every friday and i try to stay in the house instead of hanging out but i seem to always find my way over my friends house because she makes the best fuzzy navel daquiri's that i ever had. I try to not drink at all during the week and on friday's keep my calorie intake low by eating maybe salads during the day, so that i can enjoy myself later. I have been on a weight loss journey before and drank and still lost 56 pounds. I say if you feel like you wan't a drink, have it but make sure you have ate enough before hand so that you won't binge eat later.

Kinda what I do. I used to drink every day, then just on weekends....now I try to drink a little one day a week. I really struggle with it, but have been getting better! The day I do drink, it is about 6-7 drinks. I want that number to be 4-5 from here on out...
    When you drank daily was it 6-7 drinks?
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I have limited myself to one glass of wine per week unless there is a celebration. If I drink more, I like to make sure I have burned those calories. Alcohol calories have no nutritional benefit so keep that in mind! You can always offer to be a DD if you need an "excuse" NOT to drink! Drink responsibly!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love fruity, rum Tiki drinks(exotics), Bottom line, I just can't have them nearly as often as I did in the past
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First, eat a little something before you go out. Even just some peanut butter on a couple of crackers. Then, order wine spritzers with club soda - that will cut way back on the calories. Lastly, try to drink just a little more slowly. Cutting back one drink per night at first, and then go for 2. Remember, you need to make a plan you can live with long term.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I'm a "night cap every night" type of girl lol ... I notice I am losing weight slowly... If I weren't drinking, I would probably lose it a lot faster :( I'm still struggling about what is more important to me, so I am not a lot of help lol.
    I never drink sugary drinks or mixtures.... and just 2 days ago started upping my work outs, and eating less cals a day (but healthy filling food still!) to try to offset what I drink. I guess I will let ya know how that goes! :) Sorry I can't be more help!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    drink, just not alcohol. get calorie free soda with a lime. no one will notice the difference and you'll be sober at the end of the night.
  • almaster666
    almaster666 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water while drinking alcohol. Typically, 2 glasses of water for every alcoholic beverage. You'll pee most of the booze away and won't absorbe most of the calories.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Just make Fridays your cheat night... date nights with my guy are mine I have a few drinks and eat a healthy dinner and try to eat lower calories earlier in the day
  • FireballStrike
    FireballStrike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I hear you! For me, it's a quality of lifestyle. I don't intend to stop drinking while I lose weight or when I hit my goal. Waaaay too many delicious brews and social fun to be had!

A calorie is a calorie, so I try to work alcohol into my daily intake. If I know I'm going out in advance, I will get a sweaty long workout and I always try to make somewhat healthy food choices...example: grilled chicken wings vs. pizza.

If it helps, there's an awesome website I use for reference: www.getdrunknotfat.com

Good luck!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water while drinking alcohol. Typically, 2 glasses of water for every alcoholic beverage. You'll pee most of the booze away and won't absorbe most of the calories.

I assure you this isn't the case. Try this method and then pass through a DUI checkpoint...doesn't work.

I allow myself to drink several drinks in one sitting 2-3 times a months. Yes, this typically involves some sort of drunk munchies. Admittedly, this has probably slowed me down a bit weight loss-wise. However, as time has passed and my weight has dropped, my tolerance has lowered. I have to limit myself now or I'm a drunken mess. Also, a lot of times now I skip the food because I have learned how terrible I feel when I have a regular and food hangover. You can find a balance and still lose weight!

Edited to add: Also, I have found there is no better cure for a hangover than some exercise outdoors....seriously. :drinker:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Become the designated driver! My friends loved it because they knew they would be safe with me to look out for their drunk butts and also knew I would get them home. There are even a lot of places that, if you tell them you are the DD, will serve you non-alcoholic drinks for free. Sometimes they'll give you a wristband or just mark it on your napkin. It is a win all around. I get to laugh at my friends' silly antics, they stay safe, and I don't spend a ton of money having a great time out!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    When I used to go out a lot, for me it was about feeling like I needed to have a drink in my hand. Whoever said the first drink sells the second is spot on - but it doesn't have to be a drink-drink. Even now I alternate between a mixed drink and a diet soda/water. You can still be social, order rounds along with people, but you really cut back on what you take in. Not only do I have less booze, I don't want to eat as much after I get home and I feel a lot better the next day.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I always start with a seltzer/club soda/water, and try to alternative that with the alcohol.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did was switch from regular beer to Yuenglng Light. I've found that I can still enjoy a beer or two or a glass of wine or two most nights and not have it affect my weight loss at all as long as I make sure that the drinks fit into my daily calorie plan. I also tend to eat a very light breakfast and lunch to save the majority of my extra calories for dinner and drinks which I enjoy. I've been steadily losing doing this.

There is one day a week I allow myself a free day and in exchange for that I stay lower calorie than I need to the other days of the week. That one day I'll drink and eat and not worry about it. It's done wonder for my weight loss journey and my mood; :)

must be close by to me...not many people know Yuengling!

I think it's a PA/NJ thing mostly. My inlaws live in NJ where I'm from and always have it on hand. I'm out in Lancaster PA now. Where are you?
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has the same issue and if they have any advice for me...

I work for a company with a lot of young professionals (20's and 30's). We all get along really well and typically on Fridays we will go out for drinks after work. I find that I'll have a few classes of wine or a vodka soda but often times that leads us to another bar and before I know it I've have four drinks (totaling over 400 calories) and then I'm starving and just want to go home and eat more than I should.

How can I go out with my colleagues and not make this mistake? Does anyone find themselves in this type of situation?

I hope this Friday night binge isn't slowing my metabolism....

I think it's great to take a week or two break here and there if you can. Otherwise, try to plan ahead so you have extra calories for a late night meal and drinks. Bringing a snack in your purse is also a great idea (protein bar, granola bar, etc). I count some of my drinks and food for the next day since they happen after midnight. I don't think alcohol hurts metabolism too much if you are working out, but it makes burning belly fat harder in my experience. :) I find this to be a problem when I go out too. Stick to the low cal drinks as much as possible and enjoy yourself. Once a week won't hurt you. :flowerforyou:
  • mzbehaven1
    mzbehaven1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    perfectly said !
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did was switch from regular beer to Yuenglng Light. I've found that I can still enjoy a beer or two or a glass of wine or two most nights and not have it affect my weight loss at all as long as I make sure that the drinks fit into my daily calorie plan. I also tend to eat a very light breakfast and lunch to save the majority of my extra calories for dinner and drinks which I enjoy. I've been steadily losing doing this.

There is one day a week I allow myself a free day and in exchange for that I stay lower calorie than I need to the other days of the week. That one day I'll drink and eat and not worry about it. It's done wonder for my weight loss journey and my mood; :)

I think it's a PA/NJ thing mostly. My inlaws live in NJ where I'm from and always have it on hand. I'm out in Lancaster PA now. Where are you?

Basically 10-15 min from the sports complex in Philly
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

Basically 10-15 min from the sports complex in Philly

Yeah, definitely local then. We were about an hour from Philly now but in NJ we were only about 20 minutes from the city. I love how the locals here refer to Yuengling simply as Lager... :) The light is decent as far as light beers go.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I have always been a non drinker... I choose not to drink. Not only is it bad for you, it makes you look like an idiot.
    I drink on occasions which is about 5 times a year. I drank a glass of wine for easter and was already tipsy.
    I can live without drinking and dont need it to have a good time.
  • jporcelli
    jporcelli Posts: 10
    Options
    I enjoy my wine and to drink, but now I feel much more comfortable that I can drink socially and still lose! Thanks so much for all the awesome feedback. I havent been really active with the MFP family mostly cause I was just shy and embarrassed I had gained my weight back.. so thank you all so much for the support! I plan to be much more vocal in the MFP fam.