these may be silly questions but anyway .......

fitmummy
fitmummy Posts: 9
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

I have a few questions about portion sizes when adding to the food log. The answers may be obvious but if somebody could clarify I would be grateful.....

How much is one serving? (ie is there a certain weight)?

How much is one cup? (is it 250ml?)

I'm think specifically about soup- the drop down box lists 'one serving' and Im not sure how much this would be, especially as soup contains a lot of liquid. Also how do you accurately input homemade soup with more than one ingredient (ie, brown rice and lentil soup)? Its impossible to weigh!!!

Any help is much appreciated!

Replies

• gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Anything you make homemade you have to input as a meal, determine the serving size and then use that as your guide. Good luck! Alot of people have loved using scales to determine size/weight etc.
  • msamson31
    msamson31 Posts: 45
    sparkpeople.com has a good counter for recipe. You enter the food that you use to make a recipe and it calculates the calories per serving.

Also, when eating something that is not homemade make sure you are checking your labels for serving size information. For instance I just looked at a graham cracker this morning and it says one cracker (yeah the big one) is actually 8 individual crackers. Who would have thought?? Also make sure you check the portion size/calories/nutrition info entered on this site. The entries are user generated and can possibly have errors. I have found a few but for 99% of my entries what is entered is correct.

Good luck on this journey!
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Not sure if this will help at all.....But what I did when I made a homemade (not from a recipe) stir fry is that I measured out all the ingredients separately as I cooked (e.g. 1 carrot, 1 cup broccoli, 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce--I approximated for vegetables by putting the chopped veggies into a 4 cup measurer), then added each individual ingredient to my "dinner" for the day. Once I had done this I saved it as a "meal". This feature takes all the items you have listed on that meal and saves all of them. Once I was done cooking in the pan, I separated it out into 4 individual servings in tupperwares. I then "removed" all the individual ingredients from that meal and entered in .25 Servings Chicken Stir Fry. By doing that I didn't half to individually select .25 servings of each ingredient, just .25 servings of the entire meal. Once I did that I then added the other things in my meal (e.g. beverage, rice, etc.)

I hope that helps you :happy:
  • fitmummy
    fitmummy Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info- it has been a great help
    x
This discussion has been closed.