WTF!?! allergic to exercise?

Options
For the last three weeks every time I go to work out at the gym do fine for about twenty minutes then I get extremely nauseated and dizzy to the point that I can barely see much less stand. I have to sit for about 30-45 minutes before in okay enough to drive home. On three occasions I've thrown up and fainted once. When it first started happening I thought it was because I ate a banana right before going to the gym. So I started eating about 2 hrs before hand same thing happened. I work out in the mornings so breakfast for me is generally oatmeal and raisins or my version of a sausage egg mcmuffin or raisin bran cereal.

I go to the gym at least 5 times a week and lately I get sick every single time I go. I will admit I have been going through some hard times emotionally/financially but could that play a role, in what's going on?

this happens regardless of what I am doing, zumba, elliptical, boot camp, circuit training, yoga, cycling, Jillian Michaels, weight lifting, even C25K which I started the end of March. I've tried switching it up what I ate and when I ate, changing my routine, drinking a protein shake afterwards everything i could think of and yet sfter twenty/thirty minutes, I still get sick.

Before all this happened I was working out 45/60 minutes a day 5 days a week.

PS I'm not pregnant, sick, andaccording to my doctor I have normal blood pressure, normal cholesterol, I'm not anemic. She says aside from my weight I'm perfectly healthy. And she can't figure out why I feel like crap after a workout especially since I was doing so well before.

My one guess is that I've developed a sudden allergic reaction to all forms of exercise. Any guesses suggestions? Google was no help either.

(Edited because typing on a phone is so much fun. Please excuse any spelling/grammar mistakes)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you are allergic to exercise. Go see a doctor so they can run some blood tests. It may be that you are pushing yourself too hard, that used to happen to me. I still feel sick when lifting heavy for a few muscle groups, but that's normal.
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Could you be overheating?

Certain conditions can cause rather unpleasant reactions when your body heat rises only a fraction of a degree,
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Is this only happening when you exercise at your gym? If so, perhaps there is a new chemical they have started using to clean at your gym. I'd ask the staff if they have changed any of their cleaning products recently, or if there is a new carpet or something that could be emitting fumes that are causing a physical reaction. Perhaps ask your doctor if it could be an environmental or chemical allergy.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to sweat. When your body sweats it released histamines, and it causes hives all over my chest and up my neck, but i still bust my *kitten* 5 days a week. I doubt you're allergic to exercise too...go to a doctor, you might have something wrong that's being aggrivated by an increased heart rate or something.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly but maybe something as simple as your breathing. If you're stressed, you tend to take shallow breaths into the top of your lungs, rather than real deep fillers. If your breathing is like this it would cause all the symptoms you describe - I used to be a relaxation therapist and everything you said sounds awfully familiar!
  • QuintinV
    QuintinV Posts: 28
    Options
    I have a phobia.. when I exercise I find that I start breathing heavily, I sweat and my heart beats real fast... jk
    seriously tough I think G30Grrl might have a point...
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Certain conditions can cause rather unpleasant reactions when your body heat rises only a fraction of a degree,

This happened to me. Not drinking enough water and running outside in Las Vegas, the world suddenly went white.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor about it and get your blood lvls drawn. This happened to me a bit when I was low on electrolytes =)
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would guess that your blood sugar is too low when your working out or your drinking to much water. I get really sick if I drink to much while working out, so I started taking tiny sips, just enough to moisten my mouth. Eat a small snack right before heading to the gym that has protein in it. Also make sure your eating enough throughout the day, google TDEE.
  • QuintinV
    QuintinV Posts: 28
    Options
    Sounds silly but maybe something as simple as your breathing. If you're stressed, you tend to take shallow breaths into the top of your lungs, rather than real deep fillers. If your breathing is like this it would cause all the symptoms you describe - I used to be a relaxation therapist and everything you said sounds awfully familiar!

This also makes sense.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

This happened to me. Not drinking enough water and running outside in Las Vegas, the world suddenly went white.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    Pretty much what everybody has already said. Get your blood sugar and nutrient levels checked. My other half is very overweight and overheats easily. When he started to exercise, he often has this feeling. He would actually throw up.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    when i first began my journy i walked my dogs and had no problems. then i began the c25k. i threw up, i was nauseaous, i would get dizzy. for me this was an eating problem. i was not eating enough before i worked out. it took me 2 weeks to sort it out through trial and error. i figured out what to eat and how long before exercise to eat.

Then after the c25k i started the 30 day shred. again i threw up, felt horrible, dizzy ect. This time it was because i was trying to make myself do things i couldn't. it took 4 workouts for it to get to just feeling a little off instead of really sick. i found i had to do more modified movements to make it a little easier on me. once i did that and stopped trying to be perfect or do too much i was ok.

last week i got sick during exercise again. this time it was anxiety related. there was a lot of emotional stress in my life and i was not coping at all. when i was not working out i just felt a little tense, but when i worked out idk what happened but i got real sick. this week my anxiety is under control for the most part and i did not get sick again.

maybe my expereince can help you?
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? Could be dehydration.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    PS in which case, there are deep breathing exercises and relaxation techniques which really do help.

And I don't believe in allergy to exercise!
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor check out your heart? Doctor's aren't always right. Be persistent. Perhaps it's psychosomatic . . .physical symptoms that arise from stuff that's going on emotionally. Any major stressors in your life?
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I used to get dizzy working out first thing in the AM with no food. In my case my blood sugar was low - it did not happen every time though. Now if I do a workout first thing I have 1/2 a protein shake so I'm not exercising on an empty tank.

Are you drinking enough water? You could be dehydrated.

Do you warm up first and then cool down?
  • whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me the past two days at the gym. I could hardly make it past 30 mins on the elliptical and had to stop for fear of passing out. I woke up today with painful sinus pressure and a headache. I think my problem was my sinuses. It is that time of year so maybe that is your issue as well?
    Hope you feel better. I know it was pretty scary last night. I wasn't sure I would be able to drive home, but once I "came down" and my heart rate slowed I was perfectly fine for the rest of the day.
  • MsAziz
    MsAziz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm in year 12 so this is what I think is happening to you, but don't take my word for it because I maybe be wrong!
    But I think it takes time to get used to exercise, you are probably pushing yourself so hard that your body has to resort to anaerobic respiration(meaning it isn't using enough oxygen to burn energy) this causes a build up of lactic acid in your stomach. Which is probably why you feel nauseated. But don't worry because that happens to everyone when they haven't worked out for a long time. So maybe think of slowing down a bit in your workouts.

As for fainting well that again happens due to a lack of oxygen but this time lack of oxygen to the brain. Just make sure you breath and take it easy in workouts. I've fainted a couple of times too because I haven't been hydrated enough. Maybe up your water intake because water helps carry your blood around your body to deliver oxygen to the brain.
    Hope that helped :)
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    My doctor ran some blood tests last week, came back normal, as far as that goes in pretty healthy. The gym recently got new treadmills for the women's only room but I don't use those cause of a bad knee caused from a car accident years ago. But it's not just at the gym, I get dizzy when I work out at home to, I just trend to work out more often at the gym than not. However when I walk around the park or the track I'm fine.

Thanks for the advice everyone. And Fyi I don't really think I'm allergic to exercise, just frustrated by what's going on.

And yes I'm an getting enough water, I drink at least 120 oz a day.