Okay Peeps... musical assistance required!

Options
Rocki_
Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
Hi all! I don't often post on the general boards, but I am in need of some assistance. As many of you know, I am a leader in the Sun Run Training Clinic (and have been for the past 13 weeks). It is my second year with the clinic and my first as a leader and I'm very stoked about it. However......

It has been brought to my attention that I may, perhaps, need to update my playlist!! One of my participants LOVES to run to Lady Gaga...only I have no clue what songs she does or which ones would be good for running. My playlist is stuck somewhere between 1983 and 1992... with the odd exception. I just haven't taken the time to update it... or my musical knowledge. That's what happens when you work 3 jobs and lead a running clinic I suppose... *sigh!*

SO.... If you wouldn't mind taking a moment or two and telling me what your top 5 favourite songs for running are (and why) I would appreciate it!!

Thanks so much!! Happy Friday Eve, everyone!!

Rocki

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I could give a top 5 really...but I can give you 5 that I listen to regularly when running...keep in mind I'm a hip hop head...

Machine Gun Kelly - Half Naked & Almost Famous
    Puff Daddy - Victory (feat. The Notorious B.I.G. & Busta Rhymes)
    Game - Red Nation (feat. Lil' Wayne)
    Dr. Dre - Under Pressure (feat. Jay-Z)
    Eminem - Cinderella Man

If you want more songs like this I can give you a much bigger list. But I'll leave it at these 5 for the purpose of this thread. I should also note that if you intend on playing these for your clients...they all have extensive swearing in them.
  • almccorm
    almccorm Posts: 5
    Options
    Great Thread Kelli,

I was thinking I need some new music and also looking for suggestions...
    1. Lady Gaga - poker face
    2. Lady Gaga - Just Dance
    3. Katy Perry - I kissed a girl
    4. Christina Angular - Lady Marmalade
    5. Dragonette - I get around

I like these because they have good beats and stories to them. I once ran the whole race to the glee version of don't stop believing, it probably wasn't the best idea but it took me to a happy place. I also use to really like running to Graduation (Kanye West). Hope that helps. I did once hear that the more base the better for running because it brings out the same reaction as fear and you run faster (not sure if that is true or not).
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    1. Don Omar - 'Danza Kuduro'
    2. H2O - 'One Life, One Chance'
    3. Shakira - "Waka Waka'
    4. Billy Idol - 'Dancing with Myself'
    5. Kat Deluna - 'Whine Up'

Anything with a fast beat really gets me moving (regardless of genre)....and if they have words that can relate to pushing myself harder....its on my playlist!! :)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    My favorite running song from Lady Gaga is Monster! It's a good one!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I keep my tempo at 128-138.

Im a musician so I can mix my own workout songs to any tempo I need... whether its for warm up/cool down, cardio, strength/resistance... that way I can keep up with the tempo on a smooth rhythm.

Lady Gaga though... I found some AWESOME remixes done of hers (please be sure to purchase, dont rip music).. Paparazzi is GREAT, also Born This Way is AWESOME! That song gives me an adrenalin rush with the remix I purchased....

I would suggest venturing over to Amazon.. they have a wide variety to choose from and prices are fabulous!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Might not help much, but when I need new music, or when I workout, I use icebergradio.com

Check the 'pop' station and click through a few songs, you'll get decent, newer stuff.

Some of my friends do music at our bar, and are occasionally getting new songs, here's the last few I told them to download.

wild ones - flo rida
    miracle - mayisyahu
    dancing tonight - kat deluna
    dynamite - taio cruz
    whos that chick - david guetta
    hello, good morning - diddy
    bulletproof -la roux
    rain over me - pitbull marc anthony
    we run the night - havana brown
    night of your life -david guetta
    gettin over you - david guetta fergie lmfao
    memories -kid cudi david guetta
    hangover - taio cruz
    katy perry -part of me
    enrique - i like it
    dada sandy rivers - lollipop
    victoria duffield - feel
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I'm the wrong person to offer help on this one as my play list is stuck in the 80s as well, but one of my all time favorite running songs that I think is a must have for every lady's play list is "And She Was" by the Talking Heads. Great beat and very motivational. I always want to take off into a sprint when that one comes on!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Here is some of my newer music that I've purchased for working out/running! I tend to try and update my playlist as soon as I feel bored! It can really energize my workouts! :)

Not in a particular order- just some good workout tunes!

-Stronger, Kelly Clarkson
    -Turn me On, David Guetta and Nikki Minaj
    -Sexy and I Know It, LMFAO
    -Sorry for Party Rocking, LMFAO
    -Starships, Nikki Minaj
    -International Love, Pitbull
    -Good Feeling, Flo Rida
    -Domino, Jesse J
    -We Found Love, Rihanna

I would suggest going to the ITunes store and finding the top singles....there is a lot of upbeat music ideas. :)
  • mudpuddlegirl
    Options
    I'm not a runner but these are some of my faves for the elliptical...

Pass at Me - Timbaland (feat Pitbull)
    Hello Good Morning - Diddy - Dirty Money & T.I
    Stereo Love - Edward Maya
    Send Me on My Way - Rusted Root
    Just about anything from Linkin Park
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    1. Don Omar - 'Danza Kuduro'
    2. Don Omar - Taboo
    3. Dyland y Lenny - Pegate Mas
    4. Iyaz - Replay
    5. Dj Yamo y Calle 13 -- Tocarte Toa
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with having songs from 1983 to 1992. It was a great decade for music! If they're getting bored with the same songs, just switch some out. Personally, I like to work out to the Ramones and the Violent Femmes. :happy:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    If you want to hear people's songs for free, subscribe to Pandora on your computer or phone. You enter what you want to hear for example "Lady Gaga" and then it plays Lady Gaga and stuff like her. You can "thumbs up" or" thumbs down" to customize it to your tastes.
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    82-92 OMG I want your playlist. I listen to that music all the time when I work out and I could always use more ideas.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love anything dub-step, or dance mixed to be honest, why? Because it has no lyrics, so I'm not processing words. And it keeps me in time with my walking/jogging. Excellent modivator.

So examples:

My Warm up- http://youtu.be/Z1fTbDJiyrM
    Hard Burn- http://youtu.be/IGgBWghFgZQ
    Cool Down- http://youtu.be/x0b2a3JNlRA
  • Rocki_
    Options
    82-92 OMG I want your playlist. I listen to that music all the time when I work out and I could always use more ideas.

Tiffany: I would be happy to send you my playlist. It's about 250 songs! Drop me a line and we'll figure it out
  • Rocki_
    Options
    Thank you SO much for all your feedback, everyone!!! And yes, I believe in supporting musical talent in any way I can!! :)
  • Rocki_
    Options
    I love anything dub-step, or dance mixed to be honest, why? Because it has no lyrics, so I'm not processing words. And it keeps me in time with my walking/jogging. Excellent modivator.

So examples:

My Warm up- http://youtu.be/Z1fTbDJiyrM
    Hard Burn- http://youtu.be/IGgBWghFgZQ
    Cool Down- http://youtu.be/x0b2a3JNlRA

I will definitely check this out! Thank you!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Another cool thing to check out is http://jog.fm You type in how fast you want to run, and it will give you a list of songs with the right bpm's to pace yourself by. You can also filter it by genre, so if you have a certain kind of music you like or want to ignore, you can!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Gotta get my toe in this one so I can make up my playlist.

Uh. As for my contribution, I went on a ZZ Top binge for a couple of months, but that was for weights, and I'm not sure if the tempo is right for running. Could you Google "top 40 songs with ___ tempo" ? I still get surprised by the things I can Google accurately. My husband might actually think I am computer literate one of these days. Ha.

Also, I always bop along to "moves like jagger" when it comes on the radio. Moooooo-oooves like Jagger...

Oh see, miss smartypants above me even has a website for ya. :-)
  • Charlie175
    Charlie175 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Another cool thing to check out is http://jog.fm You type in how fast you want to run, and it will give you a list of songs with the right bpm's to pace yourself by. You can also filter it by genre, so if you have a certain kind of music you like or want to ignore, you can!

This was gonna be my reply! Love this site