Obsessive About Counting EVERY calorie

its to the point where if there is a food there that i cant find a nutrition label for i won't eat it (if its not a fruit or veggie). I won't even sample anything at the supermarket.

I log every ounce and if I eat something that I cant account for I panic.

Literally.

How can I get over this obsession? Has anyone ever had this issue?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,142 Member
    Yeah, that's not good. Sorry I don't have any advice, other than to back away completely and give yourself a break but I hope you find a solution.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Perhaps there are some orthorexia support groups on the web or live?

http://www.orthorexia.com/?page=katef
  • Well, I have never had this issue to the point of obssession, but sometimes I feel that I can be a bit extra with the calorie counting. However, if I have had a good workout for the day and/or come under my calorie goal, I normally allow myself some leniency. I hope this helps!

You can also talk to your physician about this well.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    bump :/ at least i'm not alone... :(
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    I refuse food at work because I can't eat if there aren't nutrition info. I'm not as obsessive as you, but I am pretty firm about it. I also have a hard time eating at restaurants that don't have nutritional information.

I make pretty much everything I eat, and therefore I know what's in it. I like it that way. Makes me feel better about it.
  • MarilynGrube
    MarilynGrube Posts: 75 Member
    I am the same way.. If I have no clue what's in it I will not eat it.! I count EVERYTHING. Isn't that the point?
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    I'm guilty too, i generally round up consumed calories and round down exercise credits
  • Well, if this is your very first time counting calories, your attitude seems pretty normal. I like to cook at home, and I like to eat good food. When I first started counting calories, I got myself a CalorieKing book, and I added up all of the ingredients to my favorite recipes, figured out the calories and fat, etc, then I looked at ways to make them healthier. When we were planning to go out, I looked up everything in my book ahead of time, planned what I was going to order, or what my husband and I were going to share, then went out. After a while, I started being able to estimate the calorie content of things I didn't have info for, and it really helped me to relax about the stats. Don't worry too much about being obsessive for the first couple of weeks, but don't obsess beyond that, because it just isn't a fun way to live. It looks like you just joined this month, so it could be that it is just fairly new to you. Getting a book might help you to feel better about eating things out/samples/etc. And, if you can't find something, but you eat it anyway, just do a little extra exercise =-).
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    its to the point where if there is a food there that i cant find a nutrition label for i won't eat it (if its not a fruit or veggie). I won't even sample anything at the supermarket.

Literally.

I do the same thing ,its either all or nothing,,addict comes to mind,,lol..
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    The question would be if you can or even want to spend the rest of your life this way... ?
    And yes, I had this issue when I was anorexic and wrote down everything I ate, which was not much.
    There is a middle ground there somewhere. Being this obsessive will eventually drive you so mad that you may well end up quitting altogether and end up back at square one. I suggest being a bit more lenient on yourself.
  • not very helpful but theres more to life than calorie counting.........have a break from it its about being calorie aware, not calorie obsessed
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Counting calories can definitely turn into an obsession. Just know that you have worked hard to get where you are and one or two mishaps won't change that. If I can't log something, I don't like to eat it either, but if I choose to, I just overshoot the calories by estimating what I think it is and adding more. There are generalized foods in the database that help with that. I think the only way to stop it is to know that you are in control of your body. If you gain weight, you can work out harder. If you eat too much sodium, you can drink more water. Nobody is perfect and we learn from our mistakes. If it's starting to scare you or interfere with your life, taking a break and talking to your doctor may be a good idea.

Good luck! :)
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    I was the same way when I first started and it drove me crazy! After a while it just depressed me, so I had to stop for a while. I now have a better relationship with food.
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    I was consumed with the accuracy thing at first. After a few months it settled down into better estimation skills.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Yeah wait, why is this a bad thing?????

When I'm trying to lose weight, it's my #1 rule - if I can't count the calories, I don't eat it. I know, here come the cries of, "it's not about dieting, it's about life changes!!!!"' Yeah, yeah.... I'm doing my best here, leave me alone. Counting calories is what works for me. If I'm ever at a point where I don't feel I need to lose any more weight, then I'll worry about eating to maintain, blah blah blah. Until then, I count.

Bottom line: you're not alone.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    I was obsessed also. And got too thin for my frame. I actually fainted at work and finally had my wake up call. I quit MFP for several months, gained some weight and became a lot healthier. Not I only log 4-6 days a week. It works for me and I'm healthy :) It's hard though!
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Your not alone.. I'm the exact same way.:flowerforyou: . I count every calorie that goes into my mouth.. its the only way to do it..all those little calories do add up.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I was just talking to my boyfriend about this. I feel like I am obsessing over food and I feel envy and jealousy towards those who just eat whatever they want to eat and don't think about it at all. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to gain the weight back - but I just want to be normal. I want to enjoy something and not worry and fret about the calories in it. I understand that calories in/calories out are important, but after nearly 2 years in maintenance (with little fluctuation in weight), I realize that I can not (and will not) live my life like this. I worked hard to get here, but I'm clearly not enjoying it because I'm constantly worrying.

I've given up calorie counting totally. I eat well 80% of the time, I know what I can eat and how much and maintain my weight. Being obsessive is no way to live. Plain and simple. I feel like if I continue on this road, I'll have an unhealthy relationship with food and that's not what I want from this.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    I wouldn't call it obsessive, but I am similar in that way. I will not accept homemade foods from people because I don't know what is in it. I pre-pack lunch everyday. However, I do allow myself one cheat meal per week (So I don't go crazy). I have talked to a lot of people on here about a cheat meal and myself and others have found that we still lose weight (about 1lb per week) with the cheat meal.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member

Literally.

It's just until you reach your goal, you are being watchful, that is all.