Calories burned - underwater rugby

Options
lmfbs
lmfbs Posts: 72 Member
Since you guys were so great at answering my zumba question, I was wondering if you could help with this.

I play underwater rugby. It's played with fins and a weighted ball in 5m deep water. It's a fast game, and totally 3D (you can swim up, down, sideways and forward and back). We have rolling subs so play about 2min then sub for about 30s (still tredding water) - it's essentially super hard, totally anerobic HIIT, using your arms, legs and core all the time.

Usually at tournaments (5-6h/day playing) I eat around 4000 cal and drink 1-1.5l water/hour and lose 3-4kg in the couple of days after.

Any ideas what sort of calorie burn we're talking? I'm playing a tournament this weekend and would like to know what to put my exercise down as.

Replies

• amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    WOW! I played rugby for 6 years (college and club) and I've heard of murder ball but never underwater rugby. Can I ask what part of the country you live in and if this is a club or college sport? Anyway - I unfortunately don't have an answer for you but would love see if anyone else does. Do they even list Rugby as an option for exercises? If nothing else, I'd just list HIIT or Circut training for 50% of you tourney time, and then the other 50% do swimming or water polo IF it's listed. Thanks for the interesting post, and good luck.
  • lmfbs
    Options
    I live in New Zealand - we're having a training camp and games to select the national team to go and play against Australia later in the year. I'm 1 of 3 girls in the country who play.

It's super intense, but because it's so competitive, it doesn't feel much like exercise, which is PERFECT!

There are some great youtube videos of it too :)
  • amykluver
    Options
    I'm in the US so it apparently hasn't caught on here yet. I'll check out Youtube! Thanks!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    a former rugger here as well.

OMG underwater rugby???? i want to find something like this in my area. I'm also in the US though

i'd log it as regular old rugby. or you could wear a heart rate monitor to get a better idea of the burn
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    please post photo :)
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I played rugby as well in college...I would list it as water polo or circuit training. Holy crap I can't even imagine the stamina it takes to play! You are my new hero!
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I just googled youtube underwater rugby and watched a clip. That was hardcore! I'm impressed. I see there is no rule against goaltending, but since the goalie can only hold his breath for so long I suppose it doesn't matter.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I would count it as similar to waterpolo

Calories Burned

The number of calories you burn playing water polo depends on how much you weigh and how long you participate. NutriStrategy's online calorie-use chart indicates that you burn 590 calories per hour if you weigh 130 pounds. You burn 704 calories an hour if you weigh 155 pounds, and 817 calories if you weigh 180.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/311904-how-many-calories-does-water-polo-burn/#ixzz1s060VgP7
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    Underwater rugby sounds AMAZING. Hope it comes over to the UK soon. I used to play 'Octopush' which is basically underwater hockey (and when I say underwater I mean with snorkels and masks etc). Can get quite rough (although not as physical as rugby I would imagine). If you haven't got rugby near you but fancy something similar I would look into Octopush - really good fun and a great workout too.

Off to write my petition letter to the RFU to introduce underwater rugby to the UK now....
  • lmfbs
    Options
    Underwater rugby sounds AMAZING. Hope it comes over to the UK soon. I used to play 'Octopush' which is basically underwater hockey (and when I say underwater I mean with snorkels and masks etc). Can get quite rough (although not as physical as rugby I would imagine). If you haven't got rugby near you but fancy something similar I would look into Octopush - really good fun and a great workout too.

Off to write my petition letter to the RFU to introduce underwater rugby to the UK now....

Underwater rugby is all over the UK - it's huge in Germany, but definitely in the UK too. I coach underwater hockey, but stopped playing so I could have more time for underwater rugby.

I think the calorie burn would be quite different to waterpolo as it's totally anaerobic - ie 1 breath every 45s or so.

Here's a vid of one of our training sessions last year - we had a whole bunch of new people along so it was a lot slower than usual! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeunaBeu2D4

This is a pretty good video of how the game works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oeQ460Lwtg
  • amykluver
    Options
    I watched a youtube of Australia v. the World - INSANE! I can't imagine how awesome of shape you have to be in to do it. WOW... It seriously amazes me - I even posted it to my Facebook (my mom told me not to get any ideas... I had to quit rugby due to my neurosurgeon who used to play recommending I retire). Thanks for sharing about this! Best of luck!
  • ahkhee
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkDo4nxb3FI

check it out here. Underwater rugby team in Singapore
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey, you've just introduced underwater rugby to the whole world - I'm volunteering at the Rugby World Cup in England next year so I'm going to spread this round the thousands of volunteers - how fantastic!!