Sunburn Recovery Eating?

Options
gemiwing
gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
Hey all,
Unfortunately I got a bad sunburn (my whole back, arms and chest) and I've been healing now for three days- still deep purple in some areas. Ouch.

My question is- I seem to be craving protien and fats. I'm terrified of going over on my calories because I can't exercise since moving my arms is nigh impossible. I can't even wear a shirt let alone a bra and heart monitor.

Do you think going over on my calories with meat/healthy fat for a few days (I hope no longer) will send me back a bit or just give my body extra fuel to heal properly?

Any advice is appreciated!

PS- If you take Metformin- be careful in the sun. I was only in the sun for an hour and a half.

Replies

• agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you want until its healed, keep moderation in mind and dont binge but dont worry about a few grams of fat and protein here and there. This is a lifestyle change not a strict diet plan so dont sweat it.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    If your sunburn is painful, and it doesn't interfere with your medications, take some asprin. My doctor told me that it helps ease skin pain.

Also, when I was a kid, my friend's mom used to put udder balm on our sunburns. Not the made for humans stuff that's just called udder balm, I mean the real udder balm made for cows. It comes in a green can and you can usually get it at Walgreens or CVS or places like that. If it has instructions for how to use on a cow, and no instructions for use on humans, you've got the right stuff. It will help heal your sunburn so much faster than aloe or anything else.

As for your cravings, you'll be OK if you go up to your maintenance calories for this period. You shouldn't gain weight if you keep it steady, and if it makes you feel better, then well, it makes you feel better.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    Eat lots of good fats to help your skin recover! Eat lots of lean protein and drink more water than you usually do. A really bad sunburn is no fun. I hope you feel better. Also, start taking vitamin E and if you can get a Vitamin E cream do it.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Go to maintenance calories, or a small deficit, but give your body what it needs to heal. Use aloe vera on the burns to help with the pain. Also, have you had the burn checked by a doctor to make sure you don't have a severe burn? Purple after 3 days sounds pretty scary to me...

The more you deny your body what it needs (by trying to keep too high of a deficit each day) the longer it will take to heal.
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Also did you know that oatmeal can help with a sunburn. Make your oatmeal like you would for yourself, let cool and when cool then thin out a bit with some water(to were you can spred it easily). It can help relieve some of the ouch in a sunburn. Also if you can your skin is wanting to be rehydrated so a really good moisturizer will help also. Don't worry to much on your cals right now. listen to what your body is telling you. If it is telling you it wants fat, carbs ect.. it is telling you what it needs to repair itself. Hope you start to feel better soon.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!

Looks like mama's piggin' out tonight! :drinker:

Thanks for all the tips on the burn too. If it hasn't all changed to pink by tomorrow I'm on my way to the doctor. This is nuts!
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I just read something on the internet about sunburn relief... About the only thing I read that no one has said is to take a soft cotton cloth and wet it with water and place that on the sunburned skin. Cotton is less irritating to sunburned skin and the dampness helps cool the skin.

The asprin, oatmeal, increase drinking water, moisturizer, etc. were all in the article too.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Vinegar is one of those amazing products no household should be without. In addition to being useful in cooking and cleaning, it also has medicinal properties. It should be no surprise that vinegar is one of the most wonderful natural sunburn remedies. Simply soak a t-shirt or towels in vinegar and place it directly onto the skin. The vinegar will help to soothe the sunburn and alleviate the sting.

Yes, this works.

If you have a fever or chills or feel nauseous, it's probably a good idea to call your physician. Do the same if you feel dizzy, faint, or fatigued. If you can't stop itching and if your skin is discolored and deep red or purple (moreso than it should be), it would be in your best interest to call the doctor.
  • abrwneyedgirl83
    Options
    sour cream is also a great way to relieve sunburn! ancient russian tradition :) i had a terrible burn while i was there and my host family told me sour cream was the only way to go! it was 3 days until our prom so i tried everything haha. it works great! i slatheredn a thin layer on, then put a tshirt on over it and layed down for a nap. as soon as it dries just wash it off. the next day i was only light pink! it was great! maybe try mixing if youre willing, and soaking the shirt in vinegar.