Do you dislike people that are like you?

Options
cannonsky
cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
I've noticed that the more similar someone is to me so more they seem to annoy me.. Like right now my neighbor is blaring some music and I can hear it through my ceiling. I can often hear the music they play... and it's a very wide assortment of stuff... and my first reaction is always "wow my neighbor is weird".. .but when I think about it... If you go through my iTunes playlists you get a similar random assortment of music (my Top Rated list would probably scare you at times). So why am I so bothered by them?

This isn't really limited to music alone.. I've noticed this with other aspects of my personality.. Could it be because I loathe myself? haha

Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    We usually dislike those who have qualities we find negative in ourselves. It's like a mirror. With that being said, it takes a lot for me to dislike someone. :tongue:
  • cannonsky
    Options
    I guess I don't really dislike them... I just find a particular quality... off-putting? But none of the things I notice this with are things I dislike about myself.. On the contrary... I tend to love them.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    No. I've never met anyone quite like me other than someone on here named Auticus, but he's way more articulate than me. And I think he's awesome.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Totally. I am pretty loud and abrasive in real life. When I meet people equally loud and abrasive, it's too much for me. It's a wonder how all my friends can tolerate me!! Haha.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's normal. Either you see your own flaws reflected, or it can feel like someone is usurping "your" role. Most people don't notice it - very perceptive of you. (To me, when I do notice it, the person no longer annoys me so much.)

By the way, I'm interested to know what kind of music you listen to that would scare me.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Never realized how annoying I was until I had children...who act. just. like. me. Nothing like getting corrected by a 5 year old. "Well, act-u-a-lly mama...":grumble: I understand why lions eat their young sometimes. :tongue:
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i dislike people in general lol does tht count??
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I had a band teacher in high school that I butted heads with all. The. Time. Constantly. He would be on my case, and we were just so incompatible. I chalked it up to him being ridiculous.

Few years down the road, I came back to help with the classes during my music major, and damn, he was basically a male version of me.

And don't even get me started on my boyfriend and his mother, and how they attack each other in the kitchen when she visits..

I don't think it's that you dislike people who are like you. But you can only take so much of your own personality thrown back at you, because after awhile, I think your brain craves something new.
  • dayswillpass
    Options
    I hate anyone that's too much like me. It's weird. It doesn't matter if it's traits I like or dislike in myself, if someone else has them we're automatically worst enemies.
    I don't understand why this happens, it just does. This is also why my fiance and I often get into heated arguments.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Of course not....I like me :happy:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    I love this topic. "It takes one to know one."
  • yepitsjen
    yepitsjen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Totally. I am pretty loud and abrasive in real life. When I meet people equally loud and abrasive, it's too much for me. It's a wonder how all my friends can tolerate me!! Haha.

You just described me. We would hate each other.
  • cannonsky
    Options
    Yes, that's normal. Either you see your own flaws reflected, or it can feel like someone is usurping "your" role. Most people don't notice it - very perceptive of you. (To me, when I do notice it, the person no longer annoys me so much.)

By the way, I'm interested to know what kind of music you listen to that would scare me.

It's not that the music would scare you.. it's the odd combination.. and ok there might be a few embarrassing things on there
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Never realized how annoying I was until I had children...who act. just. like. me. Nothing like getting corrected by a 5 year old. "Well, act-u-a-lly mama...":grumble: I understand why lions eat their young sometimes. :tongue:

Oh good grief! "Why did you do that?" Awww damn...cause you're just like me, that's why. Too many of those to count.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    A bit, but I never really realized it until I read this thread and started thinking about it.
    Mostly, I see traits in others and get paranoid that I'm that obnoxious.
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    I'd say you're not annoyed because you're similar to them, but because you have to endure hearing their music all the time. Even if my neighbours played my exact taste of music, I'd get sick of hearing it through the walls.

I generally like people who are similar to me, but then again, I quite like myself.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sometimes but realizing that helps me recognize what it is in myself that I need to improve
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If I found someone as weird as me I think it would be awesome!!
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    this may sound terrible...(not meant to) but YES! my daughtre, she's 7 and evry time i yell at her for something my husband will yell at me because i do the same things as her! we laugh about it though! it is funny ....wonder why that is????
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i just posted the same thing kinda.....yours made me laugh more:0)

Oh good grief! "Why did you do that?" Awww damn...cause you're just like me, that's why. Too many of those to count.