"Cream" of Celery Root Soup

Options
CynthiasChoice
CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
This soup has a surprisingly rich, creamy feel in your mouth, but it's just pureed veggies, potato, and chicken broth, and only 80 calories per cup. One cup keeps me full a long time.
Enjoy!

"Cream" of Celery Root Soup
Makes 8 cups

1 box of Trader Joe's Organic Free Range Chicken Broth (or 4 cups of your favorite broth)
3/4 lb chopped Celery Root (3 small roots)
1/2 pound Red Potatoes with skin, chopped
2 cups Broccoli, chopped
2 Large Leeks (1 1/4 lb) chopped
Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Place all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer until all the veggies are very tender. (About 10 - 15 minutes, depending on how large the pieces are.)

Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Puree the cooled soup in a blender, 1/2 at a time. Add a bit of water if you want it thinner (or milk or soymilk if you don't mind more calories.) Sometimes I like it a little chunky, and sometimes pureed till very smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Don't skip the pepper!

80 Calories, 3 gr Protein, 17 gr Carb

Variation: You don't have to use all four vegetables, just take your pick and puree with enough broth to make a rather thick consistency. It's good with cauliflower, too.

Replies

• ShelleyReader
    ShelleyReader Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just made this soup ... I think it is the BEST soup I have ever eaten!!!
    Thanks so much for the recipe
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    So glad you liked it!
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bump, sounds great can't wait to make it.
    For 80 cals, I might even get to dunk a slice of bread! Thanks for posting this.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    You're welcome! I actually stumbled on this by accident. I overcooked some broccoli and cauliflower once, so decided to puree it with some chicken broth instead of throwing it out. I couldn't believe how good it was!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    tag