Bowflex and Strength Training

Options
Hi again,

I recently posted about getting a new(used) Bowflex and wanting to know what exercises/muscle groups to do. I got good responses but now I'm curious....will training with the Bowflex give me good results as with free weights? How about if I set the resistance as high as I can, as if I were lifting "heavy?" I know it probably won't be exactly the same as free weights but will it at least be effective? I just want to ensure we didn't waste our money. I'm just looking to build muscle to fire up the fat burning, no competitive goals or anything of that nature. Thanks!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You can get a good workout from it.

Look into simulating as many compound movements as you can with it.
    If you start into split routines etc, go heavy for strength for a while then once you start plateauing on strength switch it up for hypertrophy work.
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a bowflex XTL and I love it.
    you can go here:

http://bowflex-exercises.com/

and get some ideas. there is also an app for an iphone if you have one
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You can get a good workout from it.

Look into simulating as many compound movements as you can with it.
    If you start into split routines etc, go heavy for strength for a while then once you start plateauing on strength switch it up for hypertrophy work.

Thank you, and what are "compound movements?" I'm new at the weight training game....
  • Aspynmom
    Options
    I have a bowflex XTL and I love it.
    you can go here:

http://bowflex-exercises.com/

and get some ideas. there is also an app for an iphone if you have one

Tony, is the app the "iFlex Trainer?" Just found that but want to ensure that's the right one before I purchase!
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    that is the one I have.. But go to that website. you can copy, and print the workout and it is free.. The app is handy.

But, the website works on the iphone too, so the grapchis work too.
  • Aspynmom
    Options
    that is the one I have.. But go to that website. you can copy, and print the workout and it is free.. The app is handy.

But, the website works on the iphone too, so the grapchis work too.

Thanks! Got the app and saved the website as a favorite...I'm ready!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Compound movements are things that use more than one muscle, like bench presses, squats, and rows.

As opposed to isolation movements that work a single muscle, like biceps curls or triceps curls.
  • Aspynmom
    Options
    Compound movements are things that use more than one muscle, like bench presses, squats, and rows.

As opposed to isolation movements that work a single muscle, like biceps curls or triceps curls.

Ahh ok, thanks tree!
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Bump for later