losing pounds but not inches?

Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Is this possible?

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    You mustve read my mind I just posted this same thread................:grumble: :noway:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Like no inches at all since you've started??
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Are you measuring everywhere because sometimes you lose inches in you pubic area, arm pits, hands etc.?
    Who know. I've gained about 5 lbs but am smaller so I guess you can lose lbs not inches.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    I haven't remeasured everywhere recently, but where I have haven't changed. I've lost some in the past. Maybe I just lose in those places slower.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    sure it's possible.

there are a lot of reasons, 1st, we have 3 types of fat, visceral (around our organs) intramuscular (in and around our muscles) and adipose (close to the surface of the skin). Generally, the largest pockets of fat are adipose, so when we lose fat we usually see it immediately in our measurements. Buy if you lose some of the other fat, you will lose pounds without losing any size. This is actually great! as visceral and intramuscular fat are both far worse for you then adipose fat.

The other possibility is you are losing muscle and bone density, this is the bad side, you don't want to lose these, they help you stay healthy and help you burn calories at rest.

Most likely its a combination of both.

The best way to combat muscle and bone loss (especially for women) is to make sure you have enough protein, vitamin D, and calcium coming in, and to intersperse 2 to 3 days of moderate, full body weight training or resistance training in with your cardio. If you do this, and stick to the MFP plan with a moderate goal, then you can be relatively confident you aren't losing a high percentage of muscle mass and bone density.
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Thanks for posting the question!! I've been wondering if I've been losing hair or something because I didn't see any changes in measurements...LOL..thanks for the answer! It definitely makes sense, I never thought of it that way before!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    As always, Banks is our hero....
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    sure it's possible.

there are a lot of reasons, 1st, we have 3 types of fat, visceral (around our organs) intramuscular (in and around our muscles) and adipose (close to the surface of the skin). Generally, the largest pockets of fat are adipose, so when we lose fat we usually see it immediately in our measurements. Buy if you lose some of the other fat, you will lose pounds without losing any size. This is actually great! as visceral and intramuscular fat are both far worse for you then adipose fat.

The other possibility is you are losing muscle and bone density, this is the bad side, you don't want to lose these, they help you stay healthy and help you burn calories at rest.

Most likely its a combination of both.

The best way to combat muscle and bone loss (especially for women) is to make sure you have enough protein, vitamin D, and calcium coming in, and to intersperse 2 to 3 days of moderate, full body weight training or resistance training in with your cardio. If you do this, and stick to the MFP plan with a moderate goal, then you can be relatively confident you aren't losing a high percentage of muscle mass and bone density.

Banks, do you know if you can gain bone density back? My mom has lost some in the past couple of years. I keep telling her to workout, but she is hard to convince. I'm just wondering if you know. Maybe we should call you Dr. Banks, or you should just get a PhD. LOL, just kidding (I really do understand that you're not my doc). :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

Banks, do you know if you can gain bone density back? My mom has lost some in the past couple of years. I keep telling her to workout, but she is hard to convince. I'm just wondering if you know. Maybe we should call you Dr. Banks, or you should just get a PhD. LOL, just kidding (I really do understand that you're not my doc). :wink:

sure you can, exercise (specifically light weight training) helps a lot, but also calcium and vitamin D and such too. Note, better for you to have good bone density now, and keep it, then to have to add density later in life, but any time you get it, it's better for you.

here's a good article.

http://www.naturalnews.com/010528.html
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member

sure you can, exercise (specifically light weight training) helps a lot, but also calcium and vitamin D and such too. Note, better for you to have good bone density now, and keep it, then to have to add density later in life, but any time you get it, it's better for you.

here's a good article.

http://www.naturalnews.com/010528.html

Thanks, I already passed on the article!
This discussion has been closed.