chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
OK.... So I went onto Fat 2 Fit to do my BRM and it said:

Activity Level Daily Calories
Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1712
Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1962
Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2212
Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2462
Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job.) 2711

There is NO way this is right - If i ate 1712 kcals a cay, I WOULD PUT ON WEIGHT!!!!! Not Maintain or loose a little

Am I getting something wrong here?

Replies

• slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Ummm I'd say light exercise with 1700 is perfect for a woman or am I incorrect here? I'm trying to put the girl next to me onto more food because she keeps hitting a wall every couple of weeks. I'm trying to convince her a NET of 1500-1700 would be better for her than 1200.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

There is NO way this is right - If i ate 1712 kcals a cay, I WOULD PUT ON WEIGHT!!!!! Not Maintain or loose a little

Why do you think you would gain?

That seems reasonable to me.
  • random_20
    random_20 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    you have similar figures to me, because i want a program where i have the option to exercise because I want to and not be forced to I'm going to try and NET the sedentary figure of 1798 since i have a HRM so i know what calories to eat back. my sedentary number is still a couple of hundred above my bmr.

remember those figures have a deficit built into them so you shouldn't gain weight.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    ^ that's what my original post said. I just had to double check myself :p I really don't think you'd put on weight and I think if you did a little exercise with it, even light you would end up easily losing on that much. You don't wanna end up in starvation mode trust me.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I eat that many calories and I lose each week.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi there, just read all the bumph. The only way you would gain would be if you were eating less than you should be in the first place.

You have to fuel your body, people think in order to lose weight that they should drastically slash their calories. It doesn't work like that! I'm on 1900 cals a day and work out 4-5 hours a week. I've lost 16lbs since Jan.

Get rid of the notion that you have to eat hardly anything, you need to eat good clean foods and add in a bit of exercise if you want to lose weight and be fit, respectively. Weight management is 80% diet and 20% exercise, therefore you don't need to work out but, you should want to be fit and, get your body working as efficiently as possible.

Any questions, PM me!

:)
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    That sounds resonable to be losing weight hun x
  • annauttley
    Options
    that seems reasonable. it all depends on your weight and activity level but everyone above is correct. you have to eat to fuel your body to burn the calories and keep you functional. otherwise you end up with no energy, flat etc.

i am 82.4kg atm and my BMR is about 1595. I have been adjusting my calorie intake to balance the amount of exercise i have time to do each day. Although i could eat 1595 calories. i only eat just above 1200 so i immediately have deficit calories of about 395 and therefore only need to burn 700 calories each day. I am losing between 1 - 2kg per week

hope that makes sense
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    that seems reasonable. it all depends on your weight and activity level but everyone above is correct. you have to eat to fuel your body to burn the calories and keep you functional. otherwise you end up with no energy, flat etc.

i am 82.4kg atm and my BMR is about 1595. I have been adjusting my calorie intake to balance the amount of exercise i have time to do each day. Although i could eat 1595 calories. i only eat just above 1200 so i immediately have deficit calories of about 395 and therefore only need to burn 700 calories each day. I am losing between 1 - 2kg per week

hope that makes sense

You may need to recalculate - You should be basing your deficit on your TDEE Total Daily Energy Expenditure, not your BMR.

Eating at your BMR will already have a defict, and if you are creating another 1000 defict you are actually only netting 200 calories a day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr?
  • Hayter2013
    Options

Thats pretty much what it said for me, but it does state that this would be the amount of calories your body needs to maintain your weight, once you hit your target, to ensure you don't put any on.

I have put mine now at 1500 cals, which will be a slower loss but a loss nonetheless!
    The BMR is what your body needs to sustain, say if you were in a coma. As you are fairly more active than that (despite, like myself having an office based role) you will need more.

You can exercise and eat some of these calories back, not all.

Just do what suits you though. I have been so confused with numbers on here, like when I first started on here, I was put at 1250 cals a day. I found this so very hard and my body virtually went into starvation mode and I didn;t lose much. I found I lost more at 1400 cals a day, but it was still quite hard going, also I am doing more exercise, so my body needs the fuel for this....

Hope this helps
  • annauttley
    Options
    lol all a bit confusing for me! I am following Michelle Bridges exercise and diet plan and doing what she says lol I was led to believe that if you eat your BMR calories you will maintain but not lose weight?

whatever way, im losing 1-2kgs a week so must be doing something right!!!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Minus about 15-20% from the 1712

Eat at 1456 and eat back exercise calories and you will lose
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    lol all a bit confusing for me! I am following Michelle Bridges exercise and diet plan and doing what she says lol I was led to believe that if you eat your BMR calories you will maintain but not lose weight?

whatever way, im losing 1-2kgs a week so must be doing something right!!!

BMR is the figure of what you would need for your body to SURVIVE if you laid in bed all the time... Exercise and everything else you do to move yourself takes away from that number :)
  • ladyraven68
    Options

The figures on fat2fit alreday have a defict - you would be deducting it twice this way.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • lambertj
    Options
    I should note, be careful eating back exercise calories if you are not using a heart rate monitor, machines and MFP are way off, perhaps eat a percentage of calories burned (around 50%) and don't be afraid to move that number around as you get some time under your belt.
  • lambertj
    Options

The figures on fat2fit alreday have a defict - you would be deducting it twice this way.

Personally I still minus some off from fat2fit (mine shows around 1700 but I eat at 1500)
  • SarahBarker1987
    SarahBarker1987 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I agree with you. I tried hard to stick to 1200 that MFP suggested and lost loads of weight in the 3 weeks that I managed then decided it was just too difficult to maintain as I was constantly hungry. Since then I've been eating around 1500/1600 calories and still been loosing weight steadily. However, I've just had 2 weeks off work and along with Easter I've eaten around 2000 calories a day and put on 2lbs! I understand that each body is different. I'm 5ft 4in and do 3 hours exercise a week and I think 1500 calories is good for me so that's what I'll be sticking to from now on.
  • ladyraven68
    Options

Personally I still minus some off from fat2fit (mine shows around 1700 but I eat at 1500)

I think the extra 200 would help as you get closer to goal, as that is meant to to be your goal weight maintenance, but I've got quite a way to go yet :)
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ok - so, fat to fit says i should have 1700 kcals a day and not move?!

I have 1300-1350 at the moment and don't feel hungry... i eat what i want to eat and have good days and bad days... and still not loosing anything! (Although I haven't weighed in for 3weeks due to still feeling fat so therefore I must still be the same weight!)

Shall i up this to 1500? (I think i would find it hard to put my calories up... mainly because i'm not hungry!!!) and because I don't exercise AT ALL!!! (I'm doing a Masters in psychology and the next 11 weeks are tied up with non stop work!!)

Also the next 11 weeks are the weeks i NEED to loose 14lbs!

AGHHH
  • lambertj
    Options
    When I ate at 1200 I wasn't hungry either and ironically when I bumped up to 1500 I started getting hungry. I think that's because at 1200 my metabolism was stunted. Now I wake up with a huge appetite, my metabolism is on fire.. You can easily get to 1500 with a 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (or almonds, walnuts,cashews, whatever nut you prefer) and a greek yogurt. 300 calories extra isn't much.