When do you eat your "big meal"?

Options
13»

Replies

• mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a lean breakfast, either oatmeal or a piece of fruit, and for lunch I have a Smart ones or something I brought from home. I keep my total breakfast and lunch under 500, if possible, so my big meal is dinner. I like to be able to eat with my family, and while I try to cut corners (rice instead of potatoes, fresh veggies, salad) I generally make a hearty meal. After that it's up to me to watch my portions.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I agree with lunch. Also I've always heard its bad to eat a lot a night...it gives you less time to work off those calories before you go to bed and your body stores them.

*face palm*
  • theonlysheesha
    theonlysheesha Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat about 200-230 calories for breakfast then 300-400 for lunch with the remaining calories at dinner (550-750 depending on if I snack in the afternoon). I find that its easier to do less calories at meals when Im at work than with dinner at home. Plus, if on the rare chance that we eat out at dinner, I dont feel like I have to really hold back- just stick under the remaining amount.

P.S. Im trying to stick to 1320 calories per day.

^ THIS
  • LadyWingsFan
    Options
    I tend to eat about 200-230 calories for breakfast then 300-400 for lunch with the remaining calories at dinner (550-750 depending on if I snack in the afternoon). I find that its easier to do less calories at meals when Im at work than with dinner at home. Plus, if on the rare chance that we eat out at dinner, I dont feel like I have to really hold back- just stick under the remaining amount.

P.S. Im trying to stick to 1320 calories per day.

^^^^^^ This is what I do! Exactly! :) ^^^^^^^^^ :bigsmile:
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000 calories daily. My biggest meal is usually 500-600 cals. Which is usually earlier during the day.
  • sammyjowedeking
    Options
    I have been eating a balance between all three meals. I have noticed I eat alot more during supper though. I am trying to work my way to eating more at breakfast though. Normally people do not workout a lot after supper. So, if you eat a huge meal than you are just storing all those calories. But if you eat most of your calories in the morning, you have all day to work them off.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, dinner. I eat breakfast and lunch alone, dinner with my husband. BUT, if we go out for lunch , (or have a "holiday" party with lunch as the meal), I can switch to a heavier lunch and no or little dinner. I guess I just prefer not to eat alone.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat mine at dinner. I workout right before, so I usually have a huge calorie deficit by then. Plus, I don't want to bring a big meal to work. :)
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My biggest meal is typically dinner time later in the day. It tends to keep me from snacking at night.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    When I'm "Big Hungry."
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a balance between all three meals. I have noticed I eat alot more during supper though. I am trying to work my way to eating more at breakfast though. Normally people do not workout a lot after supper. So, if you eat a huge meal than you are just storing all those calories. But if you eat most of your calories in the morning, you have all day to work them off.

*more face palm*

the whole don't eat before bed thing is a myth.

It doesn't matter when you eat your calories as long as your net is under your goal at the end of the day.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    In the afternoon. I naturally don't feel big breakfast and actually being satisfied with my dinner keeps me away from the fridge after it. :D
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    my meals are pretty even to be honest (my food diary is public if anyone likes being nosy).
    My favourite meal is breakfast though :bigsmile:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm eating between 2600 & 2700 daily with about 2000 of them between 6:30 pm and 9:30 pm. I like to go to bed full :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Varies from day to day. Our kids keep us running with their soccer (all year 'round) and we have our own activities too. During the week the big meal is lunch - we rarely sit down together for dinner; on the weekends we manage to eat together it will be dinner time.
  • Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lunch tends to be my biggest meal because sometimes it doubles as my dinner. I work evenings and I hate coming home and eating dinner at 10pm or 11pm, not because it's "bad" but because I hate laying down to go to sleep after just eating a large meal. So usually, I will eat most of my calories before work, then come home and have something like yogurt with grapenuts, fruit, or a small sandwich. I'm also hungriest in the middle of the day, so I find myself eating the most at lunch anyway.
  • bennjammin
    bennjammin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    IF (intermittent fasting) varies, but basically it's no food, just water, tea and coffee (black) for a fixed time period. I usually stop eating around 8 to 10pm and I typically don't start eating until noon, sometimes even later in the day. I basically skip breakfast and morning snacks. One key is to make sure you get your minimum daily calories. I easily put away 1,600 to 2,000 calories in my 6 to 8-hour eating window. I'm not an expert, but this simply works for me. I'm shedding fat and maintaining my muscle at an incredible pace. You can check out leangains.com and ESE for more info and do what works for you. Sorry Dan, not trying to hijack your topic :drinker: .