Potassium!?

Options
I need A LOT more potassium in my diet.

Any suggestions? I really dont wanna take a vitamin to get it.

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, bananas. A lot of fresh fruits and vegetables have high levels of potassium. You can do a quick Google search and you'll find lists of them.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Thhhank you. :flowerforyou:
  • EmMul
    EmMul Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Coconut water has a lot of potassium.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You're probably getting more than you think. US nutrition labels do not require potassium to be listed, so many items in the database say 0 mg or N/A despite containing potassium.

Eat whole foods and plenty of fruits and vegetables and you're likely meeting the daily recommended amount.

It's not recommended to supplement potassium unless you're under the supervision of a doctor. It can be dangerous if you take too much in a supplement.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've been upping my amount as well, still have a way to go. Set one of your columns to track to Potassium and you'll learn the foods you normally eat that have more. I've been surprised by a lot. Zuchinni and sweet potatos both had more than bananas. Seems like all fruit and veg has it in some amount. I did just pick up a supplement but it's only 90, I get more than that from some strawberries. I've decided to up my coconut water as well, read the labels though, one brand has almost twice as much as the other.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    walnuts and eggs have a surprising amount
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You're probably getting more than you think. US nutrition labels do not require potassium to be listed, so many items in the database say 0 mg or N/A despite containing potassium.

Eat whole foods and plenty of fruits and vegetables and you're likely meeting the daily recommended amount.

It's not recommended to supplement potassium unless you're under the supervision of a doctor. It can be dangerous if you take too much in a supplement.

I've also heard that unless you're a serious athlete you don't need as much as you assume you do.

My husband was telling me this (I don't remember why we were talking about potassium needs) and I mentioned that pregnant women need a lot. And he said, "You're an athlete when you're pregnant", which almost made me cry because it was so sweet.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I've been upping my amount as well, still have a way to go. Set one of your columns to track to Potassium and you'll learn the foods you normally eat that have more. I've been surprised by a lot. Zuchinni and sweet potatos both had more than bananas. Seems like all fruit and veg has it in some amount. I did just pick up a supplement but it's only 90, I get more than that from some strawberries. I've decided to up my coconut water as well, read the labels though, one brand has almost twice as much as the other.

yea one of my columns says potassium too and thats why ive started to say that im not even getting half of what i need
  • grayyoung84
    grayyoung84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Agreed!
    I wouldn't worry about Potassium.
    and Yes supplementing Potassium can be dangerous.
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    I got really ill a few years ago from low potassium so I do try to get in more! Some of my choices are potatoes, bananas and cantelope!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Real maple syrup...:wink:

www.mi-maplesyrup.com/Information/info_maplenutrition.htm
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    spinach and asparagus
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Dates, Figs, Apricot, beans, and lentils. You can find a list of items if you just google high potassium foods.
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I got really ill a few years ago from low potassium so I do try to get in more! Some of my choices are potatoes, bananas and cantelope!

watermelon too!
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Look up a list of high potassium foods. But it is hard to find out exactly how much you are getting since it's not required for labelling. There is a lot of interesting research on "flip-flopping" our sodium and potassium ratios in terms of health outcomes but messing around with electrolytes is a little scary.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Celery! Strange but true. Plus bonus -- almost no calories.
  • nemsmom
    nemsmom Posts: 48
    Options
    http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/

This site has a good start on a list! I have to keep my levels up because of HypoKalemic (low potassium) Periodic Paralysis.

You can make a smoothie with spinach and strawberries, it tastes great. I use 2 cups spinach, 1 cup strawberries, and 2 tablespoons honey. I have to go to my recipes then I will come back and tell you how much potassium is in it.... okay I looked it up 1403!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Supplementing potassium (K+) is very difficult...99mg (average dose over the counter) is really low since prescription doses are in mEq...ruffly speaking 1mEq of K+ = 1000mg. Lowest prescription dose I've seen is 5 mEq. Potassium is prescribed to people who have to be on potassium waisting diuretics (side affect).
    Potassium is very vital electrolyte for muscle/nerve conduction (sodium/potassium pump). When you see people saying they over did it with sodium (as in weight gain) and trying to "flush" it out with water, what really happened is an imbalance with the sodium/potassium pump (higher amount of sodium in the cell brings more water into it) . Increasing the amount of potassium drives the water out of the cell.
    Potassium is found in all meat (eggs and milk products too), green veggies, beans (esp. dark hues), potatoes, bananas, apricots,
    ect. Google foods with high amount of potassium for more info.
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have recently discovered this: BASIL LEAVES! I add them to my tortilla pizzas, to my pasta, to a lot! Loads of potassium, for like 1 calorie! They are AMAZING! And they make things taste good. Why not? (Get the fresh ones from the grocery store.)
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatos!
    Cherry tomatoes & Tomatoes.
    Lean red meats.

and search in google for "Nu-Salt substitute" I personally use it, because 1/6 of a Tbs. has more than 500mg of Potassium!