The pill & weight gain - truth or myth?

Options
Ok, so does "the pill" lead to weight gain or not?

I stopped taking Marvelon in May 2009. Fell pregnant, had my baby, breastfed, started the progesterone-only pill and am now back on Marvelon - 2nd month and I CAN'T STOP EATING! I am really moody but this may be down to all the sugar highs and lows I am experiencing...but more than that, I feel ravenous most of the time.

jdm120

Replies

• kristinwalker
    kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    According to my OB-GYN 50% of women gain and 50% of women lose. My suggestion if you want to avoid the spikes and dips in your hormones to try the NuvaRing. It omits a steady dose of hormones so you don't get those moment of raging hunger. (at least for me and a few of my friends it did) Something to check into. Just feed that hunger with protein cuz it helps cut hunger later! Good Luck!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I didn't find an issue with it. Been on the pill for 22 years. I didn't gain weight from the pill....it was overeating that did that!
  • dancemaddie123
    dancemaddie123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started the pill a month ago. So far so good. No gain......
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Numerous studies say no, but anecdotally, most women say yes. I absolutely gained 10-15 pounds after starting the pill. I was always rail thin before I started. When I stopped them briefly, I lost the 10-15 pounds. When I went back on them I gained it back. This isn't true for everyone, but it was definitely true for me.

I don't know why the scientific studies don't back up the anecdotal evidence, but in my opinion, if the majority of women on the pill see marked weight gain there has to be something to it.

Nevertheless, I'll take the small weight gain if it means having manageable periods. My periods are horrendous unless I'm on the pill.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    I did gain 15lbs when I started the pill. 10 years later... and through this diet & I was able to take it off plus some... So now I don't know if it was the pill or just my overall lifestyle change (college!!) that made me gain the weight...
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    It's a 50/50 shot really...I've been on the pill for 2 years and my weight gain's not due to that, had to do more with life's challenges...Note that I'm on a low-dose pill, so that may be a factor
  • nutrientnatalie
    Options
    It's a myth, really. Back a few decade ago birth control had more estrogen in it, causing weight gain for sure. But now the estrogen levels are lower from my understanding, it's usually increasing cravings which can cause weight gain, or water retention. Most women seem to lose the weight after a few months. Just stick to a healthy lifestyle and don't give into the cravings, and everything in moderation is the key.
  • nicolabellaa
    Options
    Im on yaz and i do belive it does impact weight gain not to much though
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Ok, so does "the pill" lead to weight gain or not?

I stopped taking Marvelon in May 2009. Fell pregnant, had my baby, breastfed, started the progesterone-only pill and am now back on Marvelon - 2nd month and I CAN'T STOP EATING! I am really moody but this may be down to all the sugar highs and lows I am experiencing...but more than that, I feel ravenous most of the time.

jdm120
    I counsel women about birth control and this is a very common question. The answer we give at the birth control clinic is '30% of women will gain weight, 30% will lose weight and 30% will stay the same' The birth control pill sometimes increases appetitive and that makes more calories go in...and therefore the weight goes up. Sometimes it's water retention...sometimes we need to just do more exercise. Different women react differently to each pill. Try one for 3 months and if you are having problems then ask to switch. Good luck!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It can change your appetite, it's up to you to watch what you eat. I've lost over 70 pounds while being on the pill.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have gone on the pill twice in my life (still currently on the pill)

First time: lost A LOT of weight - however, I was going through a divorce and was pretty much eating a few bites of food each day and drinking 10 Diet Cokes and stressing out every day.

Second time: gained A LOT of weight - however, I had just gotten remarried and was busy with house and kids and work and ate out all the time and was happy.

I honestly think that your lifestyle choices have much more of an impact than the pill. The pill might just hapen to be in the picture at the time. Just my 2 cents.
  • brian1229
    brian1229 Posts: 28
    Options
    I didn't have any weight gain, but it KILLED my sex drive and made me a moody biotch. What's the point of BC if you are too mean to have relations? I have the ParaGuard IUD and I love it. Much better!
  • joedieleigh
    Options
    Apparently it can increase your appetite but you must have control to refuse the need 2 eat all the time. Along with that we retain more water when we are on the pill!! I have been on cilest for about a year and have put half a stone on! not blaming it on the pill but my appetite is massiv! and trying to control ur appetite is awful when ur body is telling you "YOU NEED IT" and salad does not make u happy!
  • c_hampagne
    c_hampagne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I gained some weight when I started the pill, but luckily it was mostly bloating and went away after about 6 months or so. However, I was voraciously hungry for the first few weeks, and it took a lot of willpower not to eat everything in sight.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Ive been on the depo shot for 13 years and no weight gain because of it. Mine was because of fast food and junk food
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    THE PILL dont make you gain weight
    FOOD makes you gain weight
    that is all
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    It can change your appetite, it's up to you to watch what you eat. I've lost over 70 pounds while being on the pill.

Yup, this. It's not going to cause you to to gain weight, you just can crave food alot more. I totally experienced it. Hated the pill, no thanks!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have been on 2 different pills, and I haven't gained a lb from it. I actually lost, but I will say I have gained around 8 lbs from my anti-depressant. If you feel your BC is causing the weight gain, ask to change pills. I believe it is a myth though which some use as an excuse to eat more (I am not saying you are...don't take it that way). Only you understand your body - it also takes several months for your body to fully adjust to new meds.
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was 170lbs and a 34B and within 3 months after starting the pill I jumped to 200lbs and was a 38D.

I got off the pill a few years ago and wanted my tubes tied since I never want kids, but of course, doctors rarely let you do that for some stupid reason. I had the IUD Mirena put in. I've had it since January 2010. It was the single most painful experience of my life. Probably the only time I've almost passed out from pain and I used to have migraines 3-5x a week.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Both!

For some people, it's an excuse for the weight gain. For others it's the ultimate truth! Biologically speaking, it can mean increased appetite, but what you eat is your choice.

I'm on Implanon, a major side effect is weight gain. I stopped gaining when I switched to it. My complexion got awful, but that's it. I've been on various pills since I was 18. It makes it harder to lose, but it doesn't force you to gain either. (From my experience!)

Just my honest opinions!