One Normal and One Weird Insanity Question

Options
This is to anyone who's done Insanity. I'm going to be starting on Monday. I'll be doing it in my living room which is carpet.

Question 1 (Normal): Am I okay to do this on carpet? I really don't want to spend much money on mats or have to move my tv to the garage if I don't have to.

Question 2 (Weird): Has anyone done it barefoot if on carpet? I used to be a gymnast for many years, so I guess I'm used to working out and jumping with no shoes. I feel like I have ankle weights on and feel akward jumping around in them. I tend to run on my toes b/c of the gymnastics background and wearing shoes makes my toes completely numb b/c of my technique. I guess I feel much more agile without them. Anyone who had done the workouts know if it would be possible? To put it in perspective, when I had a treadmill at my apartment, I ran on the treadmill barefoot. Strange, I know. :blushing:

Replies

• gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I do it on carpet...I don't have any problems. My hands usually start sweating, along with everything else, as soon as I'm done with just the warm-up...so the carpet helps from sliding if I'm doing push-ups.

I personally wouldn't do it barefoot...more risk of injury. But if you're more comfortable that way...then that's up to you.
  • AssembledIncorrectly
    AssembledIncorrectly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is to anyone who's done Insanity. I'm going to be starting on Monday. I'll be doing it in my living room which is carpet.

Question 1 (Normal): Am I okay to do this on carpet? I really don't want to spend much money on mats or have to move my tv to the garage if I don't have to.

Question 2 (Weird): Has anyone done it barefoot if on carpet? I used to be a gymnast for many years, so I guess I'm used to working out and jumping with no shoes. I feel like I have ankle weights on and feel akward jumping around in them. I tend to run on my toes b/c of the gymnastics background and wearing shoes makes my toes completely numb b/c of my technique. I guess I feel much more agile without them. Anyone who had done the workouts know if it would be possible? To put it in perspective, when I had a treadmill at my apartment, I ran on the treadmill barefoot. Strange, I know. :blushing:
    mee too:)
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Carpet should be fine, I just needed the mats for the extra cushioning as I tend to get knee and shin issues otherwise.

Barefoot would probably work for you, just be careful not to slip on the carpet. There's a LOT of side to side stuff, so if you don't have good traction, you'll slip easily.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i do it it barefoot on carpet and it works great for me!
  • zonderkep
    zonderkep Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do it barefoot... well... in my vibrams. I was having pain (kne pain, shin splints) before i switched. Now, I have no pain (well except for the burning i feel from working out so hard :) )

I do it on carpet in my living room too...
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I did it on carpet as well... no problem. I wore shoes cuz I felt it helped support my ankles better. But try it barefoot and see how you like it. Do what works for you. Good luck!! It's awesome!
  • McKristy
    McKristy Posts: 53
    Options
    I don't do Insanity but I do some fairly high intense circuit training and I do in on the carpet barefoot.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Answer #1) Yes, I did it on carpet in my basement. I freshened the carpet up when I was done with Fabreeze and vaccumed so it wouldn't smell sweaty. :bigsmile:

Answer #2) I did the whole program barefoot. I workout a lot at a Martial Arts school and enjoy working out without shoes on. I had no problems at all.

Good luck!! Its such a great workout. I love Insanity!!
  • whoafitspo
    whoafitspo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity barefoot on carpet and I don't have any problems :)
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I found that carpet steals my energy, it was easier for me on the wood floor but if carpet works for you then go with it, it will give you some cushion which is good with all the jumping (oh, how I HATED the jumping!)

I've read many people here have done it without shoes. I tried it once and it didn't work for me. If you've done gymnastics and treadmill without shoes I think you'll be fine.

Do what works for you. Good luck, Insanity is, um, insane!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity on the carpet and it works just fine, as for going barefoot....I have tried and I personally can't, my feet were sore after trying it that way. Not sure if its because of my ridiculously high arches or what but I've got to wear my sneakers! :)
  • bubsmom10
    bubsmom10 Posts: 43
    Options
    I do it on carpet and barefoot i also feel like any shoe is too heavy and i end up tripping over my feet as long as you land softly on your feet when doing the jumps you will be fine
  • Osulindsay21
    Osulindsay21 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I guess it wasn't as weird as I thought!
  • lrlnss
    lrlnss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I did it on carpet without much problem... it's much better with trainers than running shoes during certain moves.

I personally would never do it without shoes on; too much risk for injury.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I did it barefoot on carpet- I felt like my sneakers would catch and cause more injury than doing it barefoot.