Primal Blueprint...constipation!!

Options
Have just started eating according to the primal blueprint but finding it very difficult to go number 2!! Has anyone else had this problem and did it sort itself out? Also interested in hearing from people who eat this way and love it or from those who have tried and didn't get on with it.

Replies

• josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump..anyone? Would really appreciate responses!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    If you search constipation on here, I think you'll find that a lot of people have this difficulty after a sudden diet change of any kind. I'm not familiar with primal blueprint, but I'm not surprised that you're having a bit of trouble after changing your diet.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Never heard of Primal Blueprint, but would I be right in assuming that it's heavy on the protein? If so, constipation is a natural result, because protein is the hardest thing for the body to digest and, of course, it doesn't contain fiber. I'd recommend adding fiber--ground flaxseed or psyllium husks--and you may also want to try a HCl Betaine supplement, which aids with protein digestion.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Water, fibre, and magensium supplements should get you moving.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    qDqa2dyMVaycXvuLQgG9U7ZgLb4DwrRjI2m1ZOb6DbWy2cWXhXWYOfNDDHSBwnpyCfOIlrvH0r1wDa5cL5nBSOsTl1Mb4hKfSI5raVT88qsMfcjvtfD1syMsbiHdCM3ucuv4Lfh5bSvrZNbZaq0Bq4inR1VgQ_ywYHoszK_5X03MFMMaqWmnkg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    qDqa2dyMVaycXvuLQgG9U7ZgLb4DwrRjI2m1ZOb6DbWy2cWXhXWYOfNDDHSBwnpyCfOIlrvH0r1wDa5cL5nBSOsTl1Mb4hKfSI5raVT88qsMfcjvtfD1syMsbiHdCM3ucuv4Lfh5bSvrZNbZaq0Bq4inR1VgQ_ywYHoszK_5X03MFMMaqWmnkg

Sorry don't think cavemen had that and it's processed which means it's poison according to Sisson
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I eat Primal and don't have that issue...but I have been eating this way for awhile...

Make sure you get enough fats in - good snack sources are avocados and nuts

Lots and lots of veggies - especially dark leafy greens....

WATER, WATER and more WATER....

If you search the groups there is a Primal/Paleo group :)
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    I eat Primal and don't have that issue...but I have been eating this way for awhile...

Make sure you get enough fats in - good snack sources are avocados and nuts

Lots and lots of veggies - especially dark leafy greens....

WATER, WATER and more WATER....

If you search the groups there is a Primal/Paleo group :)

This is not a question out of judgement but is avacado really a paleo food? I did not think the diet based itself off of the region historically known for incorporating avacado in its diet.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Sorry don't think cavemen had that and it's processed which means it's poison according to Sisson

Correct. Cavemen didn't have laxatives. But they did have sharp sticks. I suppose you'll have to dig it out. If you don't have a sharp stick, well.. cavemen had fingers so.. ya know..
  • ethelapple
    Options
    I have been eating primal/paleo for a month -- have found major changes in the consistency and frequency of my bowel movements, but not constipation. Not to be too graphic, but I only now go about once every two days, and it is much smaller and softer and darker. Before I would sometimes go twice a DAY and it would be much larger and thicker... Not going every day just means to me that I am eating what my body needs now versus eating junk and then just pooping it out....LOL! I agree that you need to be eating plenty of good fats, getting plenty of veggies (especially leafy greens), and drinking water regularly..that will totally ehlp things along.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm finding I'm going less since I've been paleo but I don't feel bunged up at all. Normal is whatever feels normal imo so I don't stress it unless I feel like I've got an upset gut from it.

Lots of veg helps!
  • beth230blue
    beth230blue Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    medimucel...or dates.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of veggies! It's just your body adjusting to a new diet. The standard american diet gets lots of fiber from grains....
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    2 weeks in and having this issue! Ill try and increase my veggies and water intake. I rarely drink a lot of water.
  • jerilph
    jerilph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been eating this way for about 6 weeks, this time, I haven't had this problem this time or before I fell off the wagon this fall. Make sure you eat plenty of fats and veggies.
  • Manrahan
    Options
    medimucel...or dates.

I'd at least wait until the third date before asking for help with this, though.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Have just started eating according to the primal blueprint but finding it very difficult to go number 2!! Has anyone else had this problem and did it sort itself out? Also interested in hearing from people who eat this way and love it or from those who have tried and didn't get on with it.

I had this problem for a couple weeks at the beginning while adjusting. Once you start eating more vegetables and stuff things will get flowing :D

Also, you might want to check out the Paleo group if you have more questions specifically about that way of eating. You are going to get a lot of un-needed comments otherwise that you'll have to wade through to get to the real answers.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    medimucel...or dates.

I'd at least wait until the third date before asking for help with this, though.

:laugh:
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    LOL update. Prunes :laugh:
  • boltsfan704
    Options
    medimucel...or dates.

:drinker: