Which do you prefer and why? Insanity or ChaLEAN Extreme?

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
Let's do a comparison...

I know Insanity is an intense 60 day program, and ChaLEAN is a 90 day program...

I wonder which will give me the best results

Replies

• amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    They are completely different programs Chalean Extreme is a mucsle builder program and insanity is a fat burner program. You will get very different results with these =)
  • ojell
    Options
    Hmmm Ok. That actually tells me exactly which one I want then. hehe Thanks!!!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    np =) do you mind if I ask which one you are going for?
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i love chalean extreme!! she makes weight lifting so fun! but i also love how intense insanity is and how much it helped my cardio out
  • ojell
    Options
    ChaLEAN! hehe I already have Insanity, but I think I'm gonna order ChaLEAN!
  • BlahBlaBlah
    Options
    How much of a time commitment do these programs require? Is it an every day thing? Or just a few days a week? And how long are the workouts?

I remember everyone pushing P90X for a while there, but it's an hour a day committment, and I just can't do that. I've been considering trying Chalean, but I would have to have some flexibility in how/when I do the workouts. I can't do a structured program that doesn't have that flexibility. :)
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I do the Chalean DVD's 3-4 times a week and I still go to the gym for Zumba, treadmill time etc. I have only been doing it a couple weeks, but I like it. I was never much on strength training before and the workouts are the perfect length (35-45 min). I am hoping to tone up some more using these.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Most Chalean Extreme workouts are around 35 minutes....I think the longest is 45 minutes, but I could be wrong. It does give you a structured workout plan, but I just tried to go in order, even if I missed a day.

ETA: Also, CLX can be done fairly easily in a small space. I have never done Insanity, but I would think things like burpees would require more space.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    How much of a time commitment do these programs require? Is it an every day thing? Or just a few days a week? And how long are the workouts?

I remember everyone pushing P90X for a while there, but it's an hour a day committment, and I just can't do that. I've been considering trying Chalean, but I would have to have some flexibility in how/when I do the workouts. I can't do a structured program that doesn't have that flexibility. :)

its 5 days a week and the workouts are between 30-60 minutes. I want to say most of them fall right about 45 minutes, but its been awhile since I did it. I LOVED the program when I did it. I will probably return to it when I finish my half marathon to tone up for the summer time. The workouts are fun and fly by!
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Chalean Extreme! I've built lean muscle, my body is redefined and I can now do Tony Horton pushups thanks to Chalean. My husband JUST started Insanity and honestly SUICIDAL is a more appropriate title (said in a GOOD way). Were it not for my joint (knee and ankle issues), I'd be right down there getting my MEGA cardio burn on with him but yes, they are apples and oranges. Depends on what you need.
  • Emitremmit
    Emitremmit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have just started my second week of Insanity and love it. I haven't really heard too much about ChaLEAN.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options

I will admit that I haven't done the Insanity program. So take my opinion for what it is worth. I LOVE the Chalean program. If you follow the program you work out 5 days a week. 3 strength training and 2 cardio. Yes the program is 90 days but it changes up every 30 days the workouts are between 20-50minutes the Circuits (weight days) are an average of 45 minutes. I am about to do my 30 day measurements and pics today and am so excited I know I have lost several inches around my waist and my hubby is amazed at the definition I have gained in my back, arms and legs. Just my opinion. If you want more info feel free to message me.
  • BlahBlaBlah
    Options
    Thanks! 35-45 minutes is great for weekdays, and 45-60 minutes (or more) I can manage on weekends. Sounds like I might be able to work these into my routine, but probably not follow a set schedule.

How are they on knees? I can't do Jillian because she HATES knees!!

And what kind of equipment do you need?
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Thanks! 35-45 minutes is great for weekdays, and 45-60 minutes (or more) I can manage on weekends. Sounds like I might be able to work these into my routine, but probably not follow a set schedule.

I have RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) and I haven't had much issues at all doing the program. I have more the first week or so than now. She is very careful to instruct you on the proper form of each move so that you are not harming your joints. I use dumbbells but you can also use resistance bands. So the only equipment you need is weights or bands. I am up to 15lbs but will prob. need to get 20 and 25lbs for the next phase.
  • BlahBlaBlah
    Options

I have RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) and I haven't had much issues at all doing the program. I have more the first week or so than now. She is very careful to instruct you on the proper form of each move so that you are not harming your joints. I use dumbbells but you can also use resistance bands. So the only equipment you need is weights or bands. I am up to 15lbs but will prob. need to get 20 and 25lbs for the next phase.

Sounds great, thanks!!

Have you tried Jillian? Just curious if you can compare the two. :D
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Insanity but I've done quite a few Jillian workouts and I just started Chalean Extreme last week. Jillian's workouts were hard on my knees too.

If you follow the schedule in the guidebook, Chalean Extreme has you do 3 days of weights and 2 days of cardio per week and 2 days of rest. Theres also an extra workout for your abs and a flexibility/yoga workout, those are done in addition to the cardio if you use their schedule. I love it. It's VERY different than the Jillian style. She has you use larger weights and has you go VERY slow in your lifting - she instructs you to choose a weight that you can lift with good form for at least 10 reps but that you will feel fatigue/failure by 12 reps and you're supposed to adjust your weights continuously based on that guideline. So if you felt like after 12 you could have done several more with good form, you're supposed to go heavier next time. It's very awkward between sets sometimes b/c with Jillian you're used to her rushing you into the next movement with no rest, but Chalene takes a moment to let you write down your info (how much weight, how many reps, whether you want to try a different weight next time) and takes a moment to explain what you're about to do. It's not crazy rushed like Jillian (note: I liked Jillian's style while I was doing it b/c I got awesome calorie burns from it LOL). Chalene is different b/c your days with the weights are ONLY with the weights. Your cardio days do incorporate some lighter weights but it's very different than the slow and heavy style you use on the weightlifting days.

Chalene also has a 'beginner' person using smaller weights and an amazing looking 60 year old woman doing the exercises with the resistance bands instead of weights, and both doing some modified exercises for less impact so you can see how to modify if you need to. Then she has her 2 advanced people in the back row using larger weights.

I'm still very early in the program, but I really like it. Some days I do some extra cardio to earn more snack calories LOL since the weightlifting sessions don't burn as many calories as the Jillian style with cardio mixed in. ;-)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Most Chalean Extreme workouts are around 35 minutes....I think the longest is 45 minutes, but I could be wrong. It does give you a structured workout plan, but I just tried to go in order, even if I missed a day.

ETA: Also, CLX can be done fairly easily in a small space. I have never done Insanity, but I would think things like burpees would require more space.

Chalene does burpees, too. LOL
  • BlahBlaBlah
    Options
    I have not tried Insanity but I've done quite a few Jillian workouts and I just started Chalean Extreme last week. Jillian's workouts were hard on my knees too.

If you follow the schedule in the guidebook, Chalean Extreme has you do 3 days of weights and 2 days of cardio per week and 2 days of rest. Theres also an extra workout for your abs and a flexibility/yoga workout, those are done in addition to the cardio if you use their schedule. I love it. It's VERY different than the Jillian style. She has you use larger weights and has you go VERY slow in your lifting - she instructs you to choose a weight that you can lift with good form for at least 10 reps but that you will feel fatigue/failure by 12 reps and you're supposed to adjust your weights continuously based on that guideline. So if you felt like after 12 you could have done several more with good form, you're supposed to go heavier next time. It's very awkward between sets sometimes b/c with Jillian you're used to her rushing you into the next movement with no rest, but Chalene takes a moment to let you write down your info (how much weight, how many reps, whether you want to try a different weight next time) and takes a moment to explain what you're about to do. It's not crazy rushed like Jillian (note: I liked Jillian's style while I was doing it b/c I got awesome calorie burns from it LOL). Chalene is different b/c your days with the weights are ONLY with the weights. Your cardio days do incorporate some lighter weights but it's very different than the slow and heavy style you use on the weightlifting days.

Chalene also has a 'beginner' person using smaller weights and an amazing looking 60 year old woman doing the exercises with the resistance bands instead of weights, and both doing some modified exercises for less impact so you can see how to modify if you need to. Then she has her 2 advanced people in the back row using larger weights.

I'm still very early in the program, but I really like it. Some days I do some extra cardio to earn more snack calories LOL since the weightlifting sessions don't burn as many calories as the Jillian style with cardio mixed in. ;-)

GREAT info!! Thanks so much!

I love that she focuses more on strength. I have a membership to the YMCA, and I go during my lunch and use the elliptical and/or treadmill for cardio. So I really want something to build a strength routine around. I used to use the FIRM dvd's, and those worked really well. That's a mixture of cardio and strength, and I could definitely see a huge difference when I was building muscle. But, honestly, I'm getting tired of the same workouts over and over, plus the FIRM workouts require lots of space, and I'm not sure I have the room to do them anymore. :)
  • BlahBlaBlah
    Options

Chalene does burpees, too. LOL

Not a lot, I hope. Burpees suck. LOL
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Also, forgot to mention, in 1 week of following the schedule you do not repeat the same workout twice. There are 3 different weightlifting workouts, 2 different cardio workouts, plus the Ab workout and e flexibility workout. They are all different. I'm liking the variety after months of doing Jillian workouts 7-10 times in a row. :-). And after 1 month you switch to a new set of workouts. So yeah it's definitely different and nice to have things being changed up all e time as opposed to having your workout memorized from doing it so many times in a row. I used to talk right along with Jillian, my 4 year old thought it was hilarious.