Foot pain when excercising??

Options
Im getting foot pain at the bottom of my feet - like cramping or aching but only when excercising, not in general other activities. Anyone else experience this? Do you think its my shoes? I have special foot inserts from podiatrist for flat feet which has made a huuuge improvment for me on a daily basis when exercising or not, but this pain is different to that...

thoughts?
pink

Replies

• MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Actually I had the same problems, I actually changed my sneakers. Sometimes but sneakers are too tight or uncomfortable your foot forms to that and aches.
  • vanessa915
    vanessa915 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you're wearing good shoes and already have custom orthotics, it could just be that the muscles in your feet need to get used to exercising just like the rest of your muscles in your body. I had a similar problem when I started working out on a regular basis. I could barely walk on the treadmill without my feet aching terribly if I tried to go over 3.5mph. Or my trainer would have us jump back and forth over a line or do jumping jacks and it would KILL my feet! So I switched to doing cardio on the elliptical or bikes for a while and just did what I could do. I still have that problem a little bit, but it's greatly improved by just keeping on going and just trying to gradually work up to the activities I had a problem with. Now that I've been working out regularly for 4 or 5 months, I'm able to walk on the treadmill (and I'm even doing Couch to 5 K) which I couldn't do before. Your body needs time to adjust to these new activities that you're throwing at it. Go slow, and do what you can! Good luck!

Vanessa
  • julster324
    julster324 Posts: 44
    Options
    Make sure you are stretching your foot before and after exercise. I have had a recurrent problem of plantar fascitis which is very painful. It is helped with good fitting shoes( I wear New Balance) and arch supports as well as the stretching of the foot. The best exercise for me is to stand on the edge of a step and stretch the heel down feeling it up through your calf. My cardio workouts are mostly low impact as well since jumping and running aggravate the problem. It can be a long road and you may need to see a podiatrist too if the streching doesn't help. Good luck.

214981.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    shoes play a big role....also eat bananas
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone,....i emailed my pdiatrist and he has given me some excercises to do and if they dont work suggested i go see him, so Ill see what happens and let you ll know!!

bananas??? why so?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    bananas always help me with cramps - leg cramps, muscle cramps....not sure the medical reasoning besides potassium but it helps
  • fspierce
    fspierce Posts: 9
    Options
    Good shoes a must. I developed tendonities in my foot with exercise. I don't know what exercises you are doing, but my podiatrist doesn't recommend an elliptical for this reason, and actually says it is beter to walk outdoors than use a treadmill. It puts pressure on areas of your feet. I had to get a steroid injection, but it worked and I've had no problems since.