Losing weight in the wrong places, advice :(

Options
I know you can not spot reduce. I do understand that. My problem is that I am 5'3" and now 111 lbs. My goals was to go from 126 to 115lbs. My reason to lose the 11 pounds was hoping to have more toned, fit, strong, look as well as and most importantly-a flat stomach. I am not happy to be at 111lbs because I don't want to lose more to get a flat stomach. I don't think losing any more would be healthy or attractive.

My pants are getting looser, but my stomach is not flatter.
My face is getting thinner, which does not look that great on me because I have a long face shape to start with.
I like the results in my arms and legs, but what will really help my stomach?

Has less carbs made a difference for anyone?

Here is what I do:
1. weight training (body weight and dumbless, not super heavy yet but heading there as people on MFP have suggested). I do this through Core Power Yoga, and Jillian Michaels Body Revolution
2. cardio: through running (3 miles 2-3 times a week), biking a few hours once a week, sometimes rollerblading or hiking
3. Keeping calories at 1400, TRYING to increase lean protein, limit added sugar, limit white carbs, limit sodium. Does not work out that way every day but it is my goal
4. I try to avoid sit ups/crunches although I do them a few times a week, they hurt my neck so I prefer working my core in other positions such as plank, push-ups, running even makes abs sore for me.

Suggestions from anyone who was able to flatten their belly would be highly appreciated! Suggestions from others also welcome :)

Thank you!

Replies

• sophia0021
    Options
    Hate to say it, but abs exercises are about the only thing that will work. There are plenty of non-crunch, non-sit up exercises you can do that will help to tone up your stomach. Lately I've been reading about how to do six pack abs exercises and this article really helped me http://ezinearticles.com/?Six-Pack-Training-for-Abs-Solute-Beginners&id=6993453. They had a bunch of different exercises (including, unfortunately the crunch), but there was a good selection-not just the usual ones.
    Also-at 111 lbs you are almost too thin. Try doing the six pack exercises to see if that helps, and try to not lose much more weight or you could get sick.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I agree, 111 is too thin, I was happy at 115, trying to get back there, don't want to have to buy new work pants :) Thanks for the link, I think ab exercises are the way to go now.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My advice be super stoked you lost the weight. Great job, enjoy it!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    There's a group for women, yes even women that are 5'3" tall, that eat high calorie days. You should check that out. It is possible with all that you are doing that you are not eating enough and you are losing rather than toning. Just my opinion... and it can't hurt to look.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Give the 100 pushup training program a try, it's free, just google it. It's giving me a flat stomach plus loads of core strength. The push up is very under rated for some reason. You can do this. :smile:
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    When doing sit ups/crunches, try to support your head as it's you trunk which shoul be moving not so much your head. Also, touch the roof of your mouth with your tongue as you do the sit ups as this is meant to activate stablisers in the neck. It might help a little.
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Give the 100 pushup training program a try, it's free, just google it. It's giving me a flat stomach plus loads of core strength. The push up is very under rated for some reason. You can do this. :smile:

Thanks!
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    When doing sit ups/crunches, try to support your head as it's you trunk which shoul be moving not so much your head. Also, touch the roof of your mouth with your tongue as you do the sit ups as this is meant to activate stablisers in the neck. It might help a little.

Thanks!
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everybody!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You cannot "spot reduce" BUT you CAN tone specific muscles. Increasing your intake and adding specific exercises should help. Crunches, crunch machine, etc... for the tummy. In order to add fullness back to the face, you will need to regain some of your lost weight. Now is the time for toning rather than weight loss, per se.
  • lgtahoe
    lgtahoe Posts: 96
    Options
    Have you had children? A few of my friends who have had children struggle with the stomach area even though they are all very fit.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here is my advice-- I've always hated my stomach!!!
    Stop running-- do HIIT cardio instead. You don't even have to do cardio every day since you're not trying to lose weight (not that you are, but you don't need to). I do intervals of speed and incline on whatever cardio I'm doing.

Cut out dairy, processed foods, any alcohol, fruit. Add lots of veggies and lean protein, especially fish. I have never eaten fish in my life, but eating it is what got me the fittest I've ever been!

Do lift heavy! It really works! You don't even have to work your abs to get abs, abs are made in the kitchen! I do no oblique work at all (it thickens your waist), and I do very little abs.
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    You cannot "spot reduce" BUT you CAN tone specific muscles. Increasing your intake and adding specific exercises should help. Crunches, crunch machine, etc... for the tummy. In order to add fullness back to the face, you will need to regain some of your lost weight. Now is the time for toning rather than weight loss, per se.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Have you had children? A few of my friends who have had children struggle with the stomach area even though they are all very fit.

Lol! No! I wish I had that excuse!
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Here is my advice-- I've always hated my stomach!!!
    Stop running-- do HIIT cardio instead. You don't even have to do cardio every day since you're not trying to lose weight (not that you are, but you don't need to). I do intervals of speed and incline on whatever cardio I'm doing.

Cut out dairy, processed foods, any alcohol, fruit. Add lots of veggies and lean protein, especially fish. I have never eaten fish in my life, but eating it is what got me the fittest I've ever been!

Do lift heavy! It really works! You don't even have to work your abs to get abs, abs are made in the kitchen! I do no oblique work at all (it thickens your waist), and I do very little abs.

Thanks for all the tips! I agree with switching to HIIT, I know in my mind it will get me better results, but for some reason love a nice 40 minute jog!

A lot of people on MFP talk about lifitng heavy, my question is- can I do this at home, or at the park? Do push-ups count?

I don't consume alcohol already and I avoid high sugar fruits as much as possible. Berries have too many nutritonal benefits to me to to cut out. I have increased veggies and decreased dairy and processed foods. Also I do eat a lot of fish and good amount of protein. Hopefully HIIT and lifting will do the trick. Thank you so much for all the tips!
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm almost in the same boat as you! Same height, feeling happy at 110 but wish I could put the flab in my thighs back into my boobs!!!!

Not too much I can do, just ranting!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm also in your boat. Five feet three inches, pear shaped. Take 10-12 gym classes a week and eat clean.

Just keep what you're doing. It'd be worse, otherwise.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    We all carry weight differently. Unfortunately carrying weight in your tummy may just be the way you are. Building muscles in your abs is not going to get rid of the fat sitting on top of them.

My old roomate in college was about about 110 and 5'4". She didn't like being that skinny, but whenever she gained weight it would go STRAIGHT to her belly and make her look pregnant. She always used to say "I wish I carried my weight in my booty like some people!!!" Sadly, in our culture fat in certain places is good, while others is bad. :frown:

Perhaps reducing body fat percentage (so not losing weight, but putting on muscle and losing fat) would help a bit. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I work out somewhat similar to you. My weight is getting down there too. I am 5' 5.5" and 114 pounds currently. I couldn't budge my belly fat until I cut out all artificial sweeteners (I've read several articles that indicate it encourages abdominal obesity), started drinking water, and added fiber to my diet. You may be doing that already. It is just what has been working for me. Planking, sit ups, and crunches in addition to my other workout stuff too.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Do lift heavy! It really works!

^^^this. Lifting heavy will actually put a little bit of weight back on your numbers-wise, but it's going to make everything so much more toned & svelte and the muscles you are building will help you burn away the tummy flab. Get 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women'. You & your abs will never be the same, I promise! :flowerforyou: