Calories vs. Nutrients...

Options
Does it matter what you are eating as long as your calories are under or at your limit you've set? In my opinion I think that as long as you are eating your set amount of calories you will succed in the weight loss wether it is all carbs or sugar or fats....any thoughts on this?

Replies

• fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    that has been mostly my experience. HOWEVER, you will always look better, feel better, and work out better when you EAT better. And your performance plays off of your nutrition. so eating healthy is always a good thing. although, i have managed to lose weight while eating crap before, lol
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You are kidding right? Nutrients totally matter! If you put 1200 calories of crap in your body that is about all your body will do with it. If you put 1200 calories of lean protien, veggies, and fruit with out chemicals infused you will have a lean fighting machine ready to battle the day and not be growing disease.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think I agree. It's better if you are eating good fats, maybe, just for overall healthiness. Same with carbs. And sugars! Hahaha. You just don't want to eat the bad types of these. Everything in moderation, I think .
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    For me, and I'm no expert, I prefer to eat a balanced diet. Lean Meats, veggies, fruits (fresh), greek yogurt, light cheese and whole grains. Now, that doesn't mean I NEVER have processed things. But it's a rarity - a treat. I feel better when I eat like this, but in theory you will still lose weight if you eat whatever at or slightly under your calorie goal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For weight loss yes you are correct.

But if you are talking about fat vs. lean muscle loss then macro nutrients matter. The more protein you eat, up to a certain point, the less lean muscle you will lose as you lose weight, which means you will have a lower BF% at your goals weight then if you didn't get enough protein. And adequate fat intake helps digestive system, hair, skin, nails etc.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I agree with the two posters above. I forget that some people eat 1000-1500 calories only of bad things on here. I just can't fathom.
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    For the sole reason of losing weight-yes. But if you want to be healthy then heck no!
  • laurenematheson
    Options
    On the surface, you could say it doesn't matter. But if you eat 2000 calories in Hershey Bars, you're going to run into some health issues. On the other hand, if you eat 2000 calories of a balanced diets including protein, carbs, fruits, veggies, healthy fats and oil, etc. you are more likely to be healthier, feel better, and achieve your goals.

It does matter. For optimum health you should try to eat real food, with real nutrition.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying for weightloss it works.

Next to that, as far as skin, hair and other physical stuff, I prefer trying to eat healthier stuff. I think overall it improves your life.

I can't imagine what I'd look like if I ate 1500 calories in strictly granulated sugar 7 days a week.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you have a deficit you will loose weight...

However I found I have MUCH, MUCH better results when I worry about the nutrients first and calories second. I eat clean so for me to go over in calories by a bit it moot since the majority of what I eat is simple in nature and therefore fuels my body better...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Well, there is debate on this.

Technically, it's calories in vs calories out, so eat whatever you want as long as it fits your calories.

That said, processed and fast foods are very high in calories so you wn't get much and you'll end up hungry quicker. Protein takes longer to be digested, so you stay full longer, veggies are low calorie and can fill you up for very few calories and fat helps make you feel satisfied. Carbs are for energy. But too much of the wrong kind of carb (processed, sweets, etc.) can bloat you or cause an insulin spike, which can potentially lead to a binge.

I don't just want to be slim, I want to be healthy. Junk food is satisfying IN THE MOMENT, but trashes my body in the long run. So I eat for life...not just to satisfy a momentary urge. I know what my trigger foods are and try to avoid them. And most of my trigger foods are not good for me anyway.

I do try to fit in some of my favorites, so I don't feel deprived. I made myself a hamburger last night, for example. I had easter candy too. I eat out at restaurants now and then, but try to control my portion sizes and avoid the worst dietary offenders. A cold beer after an afternoon of gardening is a nice treat. Now and then, I go out for handmade ice cream while I take a walk on the beach. Just not all the time, every day, or in an uncontrolled manner.

That's my opinion.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just to add to this, take a look at what you would be eating....just look at this example: One whole can of Progresso soup (beef pot roast) 160 calories: 4g Fat, 20g Carbs, 14g Protien, one butterfinger candy bar-230Calories, 11g fat, 43g carbs, 4g Protein. It is easy to see what would benefit you more. To take it a step further which one is going to leave you hungry an hour later? Eat crap will tend to you eating more crap just because you are still hungry
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For me I had to start watching sugar carbs ... everything. Because i would just lie to myself and say well i can have this bagel for breakfast - skip lunch - have a small piece of cake for the office bday party - then i still have a bunch of calories left so I can have that pizza and beer for dinner! yeah! so ya the simple calorie counting wasn't working so I had to start just cutting out sugar and junk food/sugar, for me that was easier to eat healthier with. harder to cheat. for me at least.

but obviously it comes down to calories I'm sure - i'm not doctor/nutritionalist. Just easier to trick myself into less calories by not worrying about them.

Getting old is dumb - All I used to have to do was add in a little bit of running and not have to worry about diet!

this is why i don't post - my comments are confusing lol
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I assume you would lose weight in the short term if you ate, say, 1200 calories of cake or French Fries but I cannot believe it would be good for your system.

I'm sure someone's come up with a Junk Food diet. This is America. People are crazy.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    In the short term you can easily manipulate your weight with calories IN and OUT. In the long term it will fail miserably because your body will be malnourished such that you are tired and/or hungry all the time. Your body will more powerfully defend its body fat stores. The more whole foods you eat where you get adequate nutrients without all the added junk, the more your body will let you sustain the weight loss and feel good.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I think it's fairly simple, it's all about calories in, calories out but I think there are a few things to consider.
    Say you were going to set your goal for 1,600 calories per day, but only wanted to eat chocolate, could you do this? Yes, would you be healthy? No because it's important to have balance in diet and exercise. Would you have any energy doing this? Yes, but you'd crash fairly quickly and your moods would probably be foul.
    What about all the damage you would be doing to your body as it wouldn't be getting all the vitamins and nutrients it needs.
    And I don't know whether you're questioning this for yourself but I'd really think long and hard before you start doing this as it will, no doubt harm you at some point in your life.
    I personally would much rather eat 2,000 calories of foods that will help me out than 2,000 of quick fix foods. I'm in this for life.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what you are eating as long as your calories are under or at your limit you've set? In my opinion I think that as long as you are eating your set amount of calories you will succed in the weight loss wether it is all carbs or sugar or fats....any thoughts on this?

For weight loss, the only thing that matters is the calorie total. For health, nutrition matters. As long as you get necessary protein and fat minimums, and you get enough vitamins and minerals, then you can eat whatever you like.