Weighted Vest

Options
2»

Replies

• j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny ! you just lost that 40 lbs and now you want to put it back on !!!! lol completely understand and i think it wouldn't hurt anything but do you realize your heart rate's not going up as much because you have improved your cardio level so much ! Kudos to you. Good Luck in whatever you decide works for you.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories while doing plyometrics with my weighted vest than without..almost 30 more!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have used one -- when I had lost about 60lbs, I used a weight vest with about 35lbs in it - I couldn't believe I had carried around almost twice that on my body -- NOW I've lost 110lbs, I don't even want to carry that much around - ever again. But yes, weight vests are great for making you work harder.. Not something I would use at each work out - but it's definitely a great addition a couple times a week! :)
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really be using a weight vest. The extra weight puts much more stress on your joints especially in your knees. It's much easier and cheaper to just run faster/ work out faster.
  • maglodee
    maglodee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted vest, and use it when I walk, either on a treadmill or outside. I use a 20lb vest, and certainly feel more tired after I use it, so it must be doing something. I don't like to use it doing squats, etc. because I find the extra weight strains my knees, so I strictly use it for walking. I just log it as exercise at my current weight, and count the extra calories as bonus.

I'd recommend it, but make sure you can adjust the weight you want to carry. Mine comes with 20 one pound weights, so I can really modify how much I want to carry. Other vests have fewer weights, but overall weigh more, so make sure you get a vest that works for you.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I have a weighted vest, and use it when I walk, either on a treadmill or outside. I use a 20lb vest, and certainly feel more tired after I use it, so it must be doing something. I don't like to use it doing squats, etc. because I find the extra weight strains my knees, so I strictly use it for walking. I just log it as exercise at my current weight, and count the extra calories as bonus.

I'd recommend it, but make sure you can adjust the weight you want to carry. Mine comes with 20 one pound weights, so I can really modify how much I want to carry. Other vests have fewer weights, but overall weigh more, so make sure you get a vest that works for you.

The one I am considering is a 40lb vest. IT has 40 individual pockets with one pound weights. I am not too worried about the weight, I have humped a much heavier ruck as an infantry Solider. I plan on building up. and the max is only about what I weighed when I started.
  • Steading
    Options
    My doctor recommended a weight vest as part of early intervention for osteoporosis. My situation is different than yours to some extent, but the experience I have had with the vest may be helpful.

First -- I always wear a loose shirt over my vest when I am out of the house -- for just the security concerns that were mentioned. At 5'4" and nearly 60, I doubt anyone would take me seriously, but I also don't want to cause any concern. So get a big shirt and cover up.

Second -- and here we may have different paths -- I immediately noticed the extra weight as I walked, and I started with 6 pounds. I have been progressing SLOWLY over several months. My vest comes with 1.5 pound bars, and I only add every 3 weeks or so. My rule of thumb is "If I can complete my walk several times in a row and not be aware of the vest or extra weight, then it's time to add.

Third, at the slightest hint of back or knee pain, you have to back off. You don't want to set off a round of soft-tissue injuries. It could defeat the purpose of your efforts.

Forth -- and here's the good part -- I'm only toting around 9 pounds for an hour each day (as I walk the dogs) and after 2 months I can already see greater strength and definition in my core. Clothes are looser, abs are a bit tighter, rear is heading north. All good.
  • chrissymb49
    chrissymb49 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love using a weight vest 40 lbs on up hills ans most times walking with 20-25 lbs (removable weights are best)- I use it to walk, hike hills and treadmill. Resistance is key. I am a female 49 and although its harder working at it when I was younger and in the army we can still be strong and in shape that is my main goal healthy and active!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    After I bought mine, I heard it was bad for the knees. So .............