Zumba for out of shape people?

Options
I'm asking for a friend... :laugh:

Zumba interests me, it looks fun. I'd like to go try a class BUT am afraid that I'll get there and be the only out of shape person.

Plus, can I even DO zumba? I mean if I go and it is too much for me, what do you do? Just walk in place to keep your heart rate up but not overdo yourself?

Don't get me wrong I'm not afraid to sweat and work hard. I just know that if I tried to do an hour of Zumba like you see on tv, it would be too hard on my body and my heart rate would be TOO high. So what do you do?

Replies

• ChrisK7265
    Options
    The thing about Zumba is that YOU make it what you need it to be. You raise or lower the intensity to what you can handle. If you have a good instructor they will tell you that. I started ZUMBA 4 weeks ago and am addicted! I go at least 4x week cuz it is so much fun! Do I always get the steps right? Not hardly! Can I always keep up? Rarely! But I am getting better. We have some very large people in our class, and some very small people, and lots of in-between. Give it a try and don't be self-conscious. The first class will be hard, but don't give up! It is so much fun!
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I agree with ChrisK. I was right at 205lbs when I began zumba and have lost 45lbs in seven months. I have my calories set to lose only one pound a week, but have lost more. If you can't do a particular step, just keep moving or march in place. It is very, very addictive. I go to class 2-3 times weekly and do the dvds at home 1-2 times weekly. I was at a zumbathon last weekend and I saw 400lbs+ men and women dancing their hearts out and enjoying every second.
  • JoannaLouden
    JoannaLouden Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I found a place here that offers it 2ce a week. I'll try to give it a go at the next meeting!
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    It can be suitable for anyone of any age, etc.
    I ordered zumba 2 for the wii and it arrived today, tried it out and I couldn't keep up at all.. the fact I have two left made it worse but it definately worked something lol. I managed to pick up some of the moves.. eventually lol.
    You will pick it up, practice makes perfect right lol:)
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've seen all different sized ladies do zumba in my class. Many in the 250+ range. Go for it, it's a lot of fun!
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    zumba is a great way to start exercising... you push yourself to a level you feel comfortable with.
    its a fun way to exercise...in fact, it doesn't even feel like exercise!
    on my first class i felt so self-concious, was worried about getting the moves wrong... not being able to keep up.. but everyone is too busy concentrating on their own moves to worry about yours! Just keep your body moving and enjoy it!! I love it!!
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE zumba! It's a great workout (I burn 688 calories in 1 hr) and so much fun!!! The hour fly's by before I even realize it. I go 3 times a week and it's wonderful. I have been doing it for a couple months and I find everytime I go it gets a little easier. There is people of all shapes & sizes in our zumba classes at our local YMCA...there's even a few guys that come to the classes! So, don't worry about getting all of the steps right or being able to do everything just do what you can and as time goes on you will be able to do more and more.

I hope you love it as much as I do! :love:
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I think there's also a lower-intensity class called Zumba Gold.
  • sissy112553
    Options
    zumba,i just joined a aqua zumba class on wed.i'm not a small person and i think it the best thing i do all week,its a great time i love it. its35min. at summit fitness center 5;45-6;15
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just wrote a blog post about this a few hours ago. Definitely check it out. It is what you make it! People in Zumba class really range from very very overweight to very fit. And you do not have to be a good dancer to do Zumba either. Try it!!! I've been doing it for 6 months and have lost 35 lbs. Love it.
  • angeeang1
    angeeang1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Zumba is my FAVORITE thing to do @ the gym... Having a great instructor makes a BIG difference! One of my goals is to become a Zumba instructor and I'm going to do it! Once you start you wont want to stop! Good luck!:wink:
  • JoannaLouden
    JoannaLouden Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I typed in my zipcode at the zumba website to find classes near me...it gave me plenty, but also some in Mexico. :laugh: I am nowhere near Mexico.

Anyhow, I have 3 diff instructors in the area so I think I'll try them all (or at least until I find one that I adore :love: )

Part of me is nervous because there used to be a place in town that offered Zumba. I emailed them and told them I was out of shape but had heard Zumba is for anyone...just wanted to make sure I would fit in with their group,, etc....They NEVER WROTE ME BACK.
    Well that's a slap to the ole self esteem. :tongue: That place has closed up shop though so I'll give these others a try. They are $5 or $6 a class...seems reasonable.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Go for it! You will not regret it, I promise.
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    I went to my first Zumba class last night and I have to tell you it was a BLAST! I'm just about 51 years old and I've been working out 2-3 hours a week seriously since January. However, I am by no means in shape (but I'm getting there!) It was an hour class and we really just had to follow the instructor. There's alot of repitition in each dance/song so it was hard at first, but alot of the moves are the same. When the hour was over, I was soaking wet like I took a shower but felt so terrific! I was aprehensive like you are (my husband calls me Elaine when I dance) but am so glad I did this. I heard what Sheri Sheppard said this week after being kicked off dancing with the stars and it made an impact on me, she said "run to whatever scares you the most, the thing you think you can't do, you may surprise yourself."

Go for it!!!
  • Angelgirl040688
    Angelgirl040688 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i am like u.. i feel like i will be horrible at it, but what i did was i got the zumba dvds and do them in my home with all the window shades shut and my front door locked... that way no matter how retarted i look doing it i can still get it done.. and it does kick ur but, so good luck...
  • jennimben
    jennimben Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Like a few others of you, I have a harder time in classes because I feel intimidated by everyone else. Although I can do most of the steps, I find I push myself too hard in classes and it becomes counter-productive. Maybe not the right instructor for me? But I love doing the Zumba (and other) DVD. I also have the wii version and it has different levels. Beginner kicks my butt! It is fun, fun, fun!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    My GF is over 200lbs. and she goes three times a week, 2 classes at a time. It is really working for her. I took her to there a couple of times and she is about the same size as most of the women that go to her class. She loves it.
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The thing about Zumba is that YOU make it what you need it to be. You raise or lower the intensity to what you can handle. If you have a good instructor they will tell you that. I started ZUMBA 4 weeks ago and am addicted! I go at least 4x week cuz it is so much fun! Do I always get the steps right? Not hardly! Can I always keep up? Rarely! But I am getting better. We have some very large people in our class, and some very small people, and lots of in-between. Give it a try and don't be self-conscious. The first class will be hard, but don't give up! It is so much fun!

Exactly what she said!!!!!! Go try it out, take a friend with you, laugh & have fun!
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm very out of shape and I'm by far not the biggest lady that goes. no one pays any attention to what size people are as they dance anyways. it's loads of fun though!
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have no rhythm whatsoever and would be way too embarrassed to ever attend a Zumba class (or any other dance-type class lol), but I wanted to try it because my cousin is always raving about it so I bought Zumba Fitness for the Wii and I'm hooked! It has different lengths and levels of classes as well as a tutorial so you can work your way up from beginner to expert.