Am I expecting too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I started on the "No flour, no sugar" plan about March 30th.
    May I ask why?

Yeah ^ why for the love of pete why?

Sugar has no nutritive value, only empty calories. Likewise white flour--all the vitamins and fiber are stripped out in processing, and only enough vitamins added back to forestall certain deficiency diseases. Some of us find that our bodies overproduce insulin in response to such foods, which causes us to put on weight easily when we eat them, and causes cravings for more such junk. My father is type 2 diabetic, and I don't want to go there, so I eat much less sugar and flour than I used to.

So tell pete that's why. ;-)
  • Lindalo5032
    Lindalo5032 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started on the "No flour, no sugar" plan about March 30th.
    May I ask why?

Yeah ^ why for the love of pete why?

Sugar has no nutritive value, only empty calories. Likewise white flour--all the vitamins and fiber are stripped out in processing, and only enough vitamins added back to forestall certain deficiency diseases. Some of us find that our bodies overproduce insulin in response to such foods, which causes us to put on weight easily when we eat them, and causes cravings for more such junk. My father is type 2 diabetic, and I don't want to go there, so I eat much less sugar and flour than I used to.

So tell pete that's why. ;-)

I had gotten to the point where I couldn't even make it one 1/4 mile lap around the treadmill. Just exhausted. Didn't feel well. I have used the treadmill, off and on, for many years, usually about 20 minutes (4 laps). As noted above, sugar and white processed flour have no nutritional value, only empty calories. I thought this would be a healthy way to lose weight. But I know you also need to track calories, so I started keeping the food diary. Within a couple of days of stopping the flour & sugar, I was able to do 30 minutes on the treadmill. I'm still tired, but at least I am able to do it.

I don't understand how eating more calories can help me lose weight???

Anyway, I am sure the posters are correct who advise me to give it at least a month. Patience is NOT one of my virtues :)

Thank you, everyone, for your input.
  • Lindalo5032
    Options
    What is your goal weight? I would think that 142 is a good weight. I would love to be 142!

For me, that is way too much. I am 5'3" and small bone structure. When I was younger (I'm now 64) I used to weigh anywhere from 108 to 125. At about age 50, I really started putting on the weight. My goal now is 125.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Did you give up on the no flour, no sugar decision already? I wouldn't add in things like corn and sugar free stuff-- that's more unhealthy food that will make you crave the food you're not wanting to eat. I don't think it's your age as much as your food choices. Check out my diary-- I haven't been eating as much as usual lately because I'm sick this week. I try not to have bars, and only one shake a day. I get the rest of my nutrition from whole foods and not processed.
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    Bah, all this mantra about 'not eating enough'!

For heaven's sake, she did not say anything about her height, frame size and exercise plan before all of you jump on the bandwagon talking about 'not enough calories'!! If she's sedentary and small, eating at 1150 or 1200 would easily allow one to lose weight from the outset. There are SO many other factors to weight loss than purported 'not enough calories' that there really isn't any point in anyone proclaiming this reason as the be all and end all of weight loss!

Before anyone assumes anything, note that I'm a HID fan.
  • Lindalo5032
    Options
    Did you give up on the no flour, no sugar decision already? I wouldn't add in things like corn and sugar free stuff-- that's more unhealthy food that will make you crave the food you're not wanting to eat. I don't think it's your age as much as your food choices. Check out my diary-- I haven't been eating as much as usual lately because I'm sick this week. I try not to have bars, and only one shake a day. I get the rest of my nutrition from whole foods and not processed.

No, I'm still on the No flour, No Sugar. What that means (according to the book by Dr. Gott), is no processed flour (wheat, bran, corn, anything that says "flour" on the ingredient list.) and no refined sugar (table sugar, processed sugar, etc.) I do eat fruit and corn, anything that has sugar in it naturally.
  • Lindalo5032
    Options
    Bah, all this mantra about 'not eating enough'!

For heaven's sake, she did not say anything about her height, frame size and exercise plan before all of you jump on the bandwagon talking about 'not enough calories'!! If she's sedentary and small, eating at 1150 or 1200 would easily allow one to lose weight from the outset. There are SO many other factors to weight loss than purported 'not enough calories' that there really isn't any point in anyone proclaiming this reason as the be all and end all of weight loss!

Before anyone assumes anything, note that I'm a HID fan.

OK, I am 5'3", small frame, and exercise 30 minutes, 6 times a week, burning about 200 calories on the treadmill. I am now (for the past 2 weeks) 142 pounds. The treadmill gives me the number of calories for a 150 pound person. 142 is 95% of 150. So I take 95% times 217 calories = 206 calories.

BTW, what does HID mean?