Whos had a tummy tuck?

Options
What was your experience? What weight did you come from, what weight did you get it at?
My mother wants to get one (41yrs). She’s 175 pounds, and she said that when she gets to 135, she’s going to get one. (or as close to it). She’s had 2 children and before her births was 108 pounds. She said that if I was to get where I want (about 135# from 212), that she’d love to “do this together”. That is if I don’t tighten and have loose skin… I do have stretch marks, due to the fact that I gained from 138 to 212 in less than a year.
My issues: I’d love to have a sculpted body. But what about children in the future? Has anyone had a tummy tuck, had a pregnancy after, and the skin bounce back?

I’d be REALLY happy if when I do lose this weight that my skin nice and goes back. BUT I have a ton of stretch marks, and would love to go through this journey, and finally in the end of hard work get a nicer body….

Replies

• Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    ooh! Awesome topic. I have been considering this. I am hoping that once I reach my goal weight I won't need it. But I have always had this dip (under my belly button, right at my panty line) and even when I was small, I still had it. It makes me look over weight and I can't wear a bikini.
    I'm interested as well, if anyone has had this surgery prior to pregnancy and if it made any difference.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Well I used to live in hawaii, where its bikini all the time... Ive NEVER worn one. Because I dont have the body... I just really would love to be proud of the weight that I (will) lose....
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think of my stretch marks as tiger stripes cause I'm a lot tougher than anyone who judges me for them :glasses:
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck July 26, 2011. I had excess skin that was swen together wrong from my last c-section. We battled our insurance company to pay for the surgery, and after a year and a half, we gave up and paid for it ourselves. The extra skin was constantly infected from overlapping together and needed prescription medicines to fix. It was the best decision I've ever made. It hurt like hell, like a csection xs 10! I slept in a recliner for 7 weeks because it hurt too bad to lay down and try to sit back up. :( I would say prepare for the pain, have lots of help for afterwards, prepare for naps daily because your body will be exhausted from trying to heal...it was worth it, but it is a VERY long road of recovery.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck July 26, 2011. I had excess skin that was swen together wrong from my last c-section. We battled our insurance company to pay for the surgery, and after a year and a half, we gave up and paid for it ourselves. The extra skin was constantly infected from overlapping together and needed prescription medicines to fix. It was the best decision I've ever made. It hurt like hell, like a csection xs 10! I slept in a recliner for 7 weeks because it hurt too bad to lay down and try to sit back up. :( I would say prepare for the pain, have lots of help for afterwards, prepare for naps daily because your body will be exhausted from trying to heal...it was worth it, but it is a VERY long road of recovery.

Thanks! It does sounds painful.. But I am going to go through all this, mineaswell finalize it with a great body. You didnt happen to have another child after did you?
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had one. I'm probably not done having kids either but I was SO done dealing with the excess skin left over from my pregnancy. If you get pregnant, your skin will stretch back out, but probably not to the extent that it did before because you will have permanent sutures in your abdominal wall keeping your insides from projecting too far out. that baby will stretch as much as it needs to though, don't worry. Do you know how many gorgeous, teeny petite friends I have that barely stretched a muscle through pregnancy and delivered 8 pound babies? They recommend you wait until you are done with pregnancy to get one because the cost is immense and you might want a bit of tightening up after having a baby, but aside from some additional discomfort, it really poses no major risks.

oh and my stretchmarks that used to be just under my ribs are now below my belly button and look a million times better now that they are flat. :)
  • curvykim78
    Options

Thanks! It does sounds painful.. But I am going to go through all this, mineaswell finalize it with a great body. You didnt happen to have another child after did you?

No...after 3 kids I was finished. No more babies for me! Getting pregnant after a tummy tuck would be a total waste. You would restretch all of the muscles and skin that the plastic surgeon fixed for you...and the pain from the tummy tuck, trust me, I will never go through it again!
  • varnerific
    varnerific Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck 4 weeks ago and the difference is already amazing. I am 5'7" and was 136 when I had the surgery, and I'm 138 today. (I still have a bit of swelling and fluid retention from the healing process).

I've had 3 children and at my heaviest was 246 pounds so I had a lot of loose skin. If you can afford it I see nothing wrong with it. I was so sick of exercising and doing situps and nothing would ever get rid of it.

Edit - Also, there's the muscle separation. My Plastic Surgeon said I had a 4-inch muscle separation between my ab muscles! That can never be repaired without surgery. So repairing those muscles makes a HUGE difference.

Here's my pic:

before-after-4-weeks.png
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So what was the pain factor like for you Varnerific ?

The pics are awesome !!

And congratulations on 1 pound to go !! You look great. Even if you hadn't had the tuck, I'm sure a tankini would look great on you.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I tuck my tummy into my underwear when I put my pants on...does that count?
  • curvykim78
    Options
    I tuck my tummy into my underwear when I put my pants on...does that count?

OMG.....LOL! :)
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    At my highest, I was 370, so I'm sure I'm going to have some sagging issues when I get to goal weight. I plan on having work done when the time comes. I'll probably get by boobs lifted too!
  • curvykim78
    Options
    At my highest, I was 370, so I'm sure I'm going to have some sagging issues when I get to goal weight. I plan on having work done when the time comes. I'll probably get by boobs lifted too!

Start saving now...it's expensive. I had a tummy tuck/lipo July 2011 and beast lift/augmentation last week. It's worth it, but be prepared for the pain and recovery. The tummy tuck is a lot more to deal with than the boobs. Those are the easy part. :)
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you all don't mind me asking --- what was the cost of this?

I don't think I will be getting one, but if it's "affordable" I may keep it as an option down the road... too much flab in the midsection!
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck 4 weeks ago and the difference is already amazing. I am 5'7" and was 136 when I had the surgery, and I'm 138 today. (I still have a bit of swelling and fluid retention from the healing process).

I've had 3 children and at my heaviest was 246 pounds so I had a lot of loose skin. If you can afford it I see nothing wrong with it. I was so sick of exercising and doing situps and nothing would ever get rid of it.

Edit - Also, there's the muscle separation. My Plastic Surgeon said I had a 4-inch muscle separation between my ab muscles! That can never be repaired without surgery. So repairing those muscles makes a HUGE difference.

Here's my pic:

before-after-4-weeks.png

Did your insurance pay for it? I am 115 lbs, am done having children, but am left with diastasis and am umbilical hernia. After having C sections, I'm worried about the time I'll have to recover at home. I'm a busy mom who teaches fitness classes, so wouldn't be able to work for a while. My abs are strong as steel, but when I do sit-ups, the big gap in my belly sinks in.....so weird.
  • babye81
    babye81 Posts: 7
    Options
    How much are we talking? I would like to have a tummy tuck someday.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest the stretch marks probably won't fully go away.
    Mine haven't HOWEVER here's the thing, I've become more confident and okay with my body and the imperfections.
    They WILL fade and will probably be less noticeable, when I look in the mirror I see someone who's concurred something that's so much bigger than the stretch marks. I don't even notice them anymore.
    They're like battle scars =]
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    re: Picture of tummy tuck *(forgot to quote)

Wow, your right, exercise wouldn't change that. I usualy don't like the surgery idea but I so support that, you deserve to have all your work show up in a bikini body.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    *Bump! I will definitely be needing one. :( Almost 8 lb baby and a 9.4lb son. I sure can bake 'em huh? lol