My feet go numb when working out

Options
13»

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Your laces are too tight :wink:

yup...happens to me too, until i didn't tie my laces so tight...and wear good cotton socks
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had it happen to me as well, with running or especially with the elliptical. It would start with my toes and then the balls of my feet, eventually being quite painful. Turns out I have a very common condition referred to as Morton's Neuroma - where the nerve between your third and fourth toe is inflamed and swollen, causing numbness or pain. I traded out shoes, laces, etc. None of it worked because the problem wasn't the shoes, but the pressure on the ball of my foot/toe (I'm a total Tigger runner, so tend to put a lot more weight on my toes than my heels).

I had it checked by a podiatrist and may need surgery on it, but that's not always the case. Google it, and see if the symptoms fit. I sure hope it's the laces or shoes, though!
  • SteveT59
    SteveT59 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mine go numb even when I'm just walking! To exercise I use a cycle, I've ridden this in flip flops and still my toes go numb. Spoken to my doctor who sent me for tests and he say's there's nothing wrong so I guess I'll just have to persevere with it for now.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    From livestrong.com:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/297072-my-feet-go-numb-on-the-elliptical-trainer/

Looks like it is the form while on the machine. I have the same problem and will try these suggestions tonight!
  • mernajj
    Options
    Happens to me too, all of the time. My shoes are cloth, and slip on/off easily without me touching the laces. I'm pretty sure it's the way we're resting our feet on the elliptical that makes them go numb. I try to shuffle my feet more and move my toes a lot to make sure they don't get too numb.
  • jguerrero77
    Options
    This happened to me too... No matter what shoes I wear even if the laces are totally undone or not, it happened every time I work out. REALLY frustrating. looking for answers too!!!!!
  • diane7737
    Options
    I have same problem usually my right foot. I was told by chiropractor that it was sciatica. I did have problems while driving pain was so bad and went down from my bottom to behind my knee. So maybe that is the issue. I will try stretching more and see if it helps. Thanks everyone for sharing.
  • gngracie
    gngracie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I recently posted about this same problem. Another suggestion I got was to occasionally reverse direction. I think that helps by transferring your weight to your heels.