Roasting nuts at home?

Options
TuscanySun
TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
Does anyone know if you can roast nuts like almonds at home and how to do it? I'm assuming that you can, but no clue how.

I cant find dry roasted nuts that dont cost an arm and a leg, but I can find the raw ones and thought I'd try to do it at home to save $$.

Thanks.

Replies

• csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Here's a good way for roasted and salted nuts. Just omit the salt if you prefer unsalted.

Spread shelled nuts, blanched or unblanched, in a shallow pan. Add from 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of oil, butter per cup of nuts. Heat in a slow oven, 300 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir frequently.

Spread on absorbent paper to cool. For salted nuts, sprinkle with salt while hot. OR, proceed as above, but heat in a heavy skillet over low heat, stirring until hot.

Avoid over-heating pecans, in particular, since the kernels darken after being removed from the fat.

HONEY ROASTED NUTS

1 egg white
    2 tbsp. water

Beat to combine.

2 1/2 c. dry roasted, unsalted peanuts
    1/2 c. whole almonds
    1/2 c. walnut halves

Add to egg whites and toss.

3/4 c. sugar
    1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1 1/2 tsp. salt

Combine and add to nuts. Toss until coated.

Place in single layer on slightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 300 for 25 minutes. Remove and cool on waxed paper. Break up into clusters and enjoy!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!! I'll give it a whirl!
  • formyhealth
    Options
    Here is another way to roast nuts at home. I do this all the time, mostly almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds.
    OvenToasting: spread nuts or seeds in single layer on baking sheet and place in 350 degree oven. Stir occasionally, until golden brown, anywhere from 3-10 min.
    Pan Toasting: Place in a hot, dry skillet and toast over med heat, stirring often until golden brown.
    I use no oil or salt, and love them. I use the pan toasting for the pumpkin seeds and oven for the rest.
    Length of roasting varies by the nut or seed and taste choice.
    Good luck
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Just be patient and watch them very carefully~ the nuts will look like nothing is happening for the longest time and then as soon as the oils in them reach the right temp they roast almost instantly!