Why do I always start yawning ...

Options
About 10 minutes into my Jillian Michaels DVD? It can't be just coincidence because I do the DVD at all different times of the day. Any ideas??

Replies

• lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have no clue why, because I do it also!! It never fails to happen.
  • rockchalk956
    rockchalk956 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When you yawn, your body is trying to take in more oxygen to send to your brain. Just make sure you're breathing evenly and try not to take short, shallow breaths too often. :)

ex: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/22/apolo-ohno-yawning-yawns_n_471719.html
  • TheYearofMe
    Options
    dehydration??
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When you yawn, your body is trying to take in more oxygen to send to your brain. Just make sure you're breathing evenly and try not to take short, shallow breaths too often. :)

ex: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/22/apolo-ohno-yawning-yawns_n_471719.html

^^This!!! I was getting ready to say the exact same thing, but rockchalk stole my thunder. :wink:
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used to do it on the warm up of P90X2, but after a couple of minutes it would pass.

Is it your body calling for more oxygen but not warmed up properly?

Russ.

Edit: I agree with Rockchalk lmao
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    Because Jillian is boring.
  • Music_is_my_soul
    Music_is_my_soul Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Here is a little something about yawning. Kinda interesting if you think about it.

Everybody yawns — from unborn babies to the oldest great-grandparent. Animals do it, too. But why, exactly, do people and animals yawn? No one knows for sure. But there are many theories (ideas) about why people yawn.

One is that when we are bored or tired, we just don't breathe as deeply as we usually do. As this theory goes, our bodies take in less oxygen because our breathing has slowed. Therefore, yawning helps us bring more oxygen into the blood and move more carbon dioxide out of the blood.

Yawning, then, would be an involuntary reflex (something we can't really control) to help us control our oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. Sounds good, but other studies have shown that breathing more oxygen does not decrease yawning. Likewise, breathing more carbon dioxide does not increase yawning. Hmmm. Now what?

Another theory is that yawning stretches the lungs and lung tissue. Stretching and yawning may be a way to flex muscles and joints, increase heart rate, and feel more awake.

Other people believe that yawning is a protective reflex to redistribute the oil-like substance called surfactant (say: sur-fak-tint) that helps keep lungs lubricated inside and keeps them from collapsing. So, if we didn't yawn, according to this theory, taking a deep breath would become harder and harder — and that would not be good!

But there is one idea about yawning that everyone knows to be true. It seems contagious. If you yawn in class, you'll probably notice a few other people will start yawning, too. Even thinking about yawning can get you yawning. How many times have you yawned while reading this article? We hope not many!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    lets more oxogen in, at least thats what i heard. happens to me with a lot of workouts
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That used to happen on my recumbent bike. Sometimes I find that taking deeper breaths helps. Sometimes I have days where I just can get a satisfying yawn and end up yawning for an hour or two. And sometimes I'm just tired.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm with rockchalk--I think it's your body telling you to take in more air. Just concentrate on breathing deeper and not holding your breath while you're doing certain moves that might be difficult or more strenuous (sp?). Good luck!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I do it about 15 mins into lifting weights..just needing more oxygen.
  • TabithaRose87
    TabithaRose87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I yawned three times while reading this..how weird lol
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who talk about taking more oxygen in. I have asthma and I always wondered why I yawned so much when I was neither tired or sleepy. It wasn't until I was nearly 50 that a doctor explained it to me. After I knew, I definitely saw the pattern and it was when I needed air.
  • rockchalk956
    rockchalk956 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

^^This!!! I was getting ready to say the exact same thing, but rockchalk stole my thunder. :wink:

mwahaha! :bigsmile:
  • LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just seeing the word "yawn" makes me yawn. I've probably yawned seven or eight times just reading this thread! LOL. I also yawn sometimes during my workouts too - glad to know it isn't just me! :)
  • manasunshine
    Options
    and why do i start yawning when i hear or read the word "yawn" lol
    iknow thats just plain weird =p
  • bojamashell
    bojamashell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here is a little something about yawning. Kinda interesting if you think about it.

Everybody yawns — from unborn babies to the oldest great-grandparent. Animals do it, too. But why, exactly, do people and animals yawn? No one knows for sure. But there are many theories (ideas) about why people yawn.

One is that when we are bored or tired, we just don't breathe as deeply as we usually do. As this theory goes, our bodies take in less oxygen because our breathing has slowed. Therefore, yawning helps us bring more oxygen into the blood and move more carbon dioxide out of the blood.

Yawning, then, would be an involuntary reflex (something we can't really control) to help us control our oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. Sounds good, but other studies have shown that breathing more oxygen does not decrease yawning. Likewise, breathing more carbon dioxide does not increase yawning. Hmmm. Now what?

Another theory is that yawning stretches the lungs and lung tissue. Stretching and yawning may be a way to flex muscles and joints, increase heart rate, and feel more awake.

Other people believe that yawning is a protective reflex to redistribute the oil-like substance called surfactant (say: sur-fak-tint) that helps keep lungs lubricated inside and keeps them from collapsing. So, if we didn't yawn, according to this theory, taking a deep breath would become harder and harder — and that would not be good!

But there is one idea about yawning that everyone knows to be true. It seems contagious. If you yawn in class, you'll probably notice a few other people will start yawning, too. Even thinking about yawning can get you yawning. How many times have you yawned while reading this article? We hope not many!

I yawned twice while reading your post. It is very contagious! Haha. How weird is that?! Another thing, sometimes when I yawn, I get a killer cramp on one side under my jaw bone. My dad does too. It hurt super bad so if I feel like the yawn is going to make it cramp again, I do my best to avoid it. Haha
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You may not be breathing properly. It sounds silly, but there is a reason she tells you breathe in and out over and over.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    LOL! I'm also glad it's not just me. Not getting enough oxygen makes sense. Tomorrow I will try to pay more attention to my breathing. I think that is probably exactly the reason! Thanks everyone !
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Me too! And I fart a lot. Lol