Sugar MFP allowance help!

Options
2»

Replies

• liminalca
    liminalca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pamela Peeke wrote a great book called "The HUnger Fix". One of the things she talks about in the book is sugar consumption, which she recommends keeping under 100 grams so this is the number I use. I think MFP is too low and probably it's because we "over 50's" arene't allotted very many calories in general. Even though I changed it, it ended up reverting back, so I decided not to worry about it!
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think this question needs to be answered in 2 parts:

1) This is the one macro I struggle with. Carbs KILL your sugar allowance, but as we all know we needs carbs for the energy to do the workouts. My oats in the morning blow half of my allowance alone. The only days I don't go over my sugar allowance if I happen to eat low carb that day. Basically if you want to keep in your sugar range avoid carbs, fruit, sweet veg, savoury 'snacks' and obviously sugar. But for most of that would lead to an unbalanced diet and also a pretty unenjoyable one.

For me personally I try to not go too far over (which is impossible at the moment with all the easter eggs). As long as I am 'close enough' with my sugar goal then I am satisfied. That is with my current sugar goal set at 30g, I can normally stay within the 30's.

2) Is it that important? Well that depends on how sugar affects you personally. For me sugar is a killer on my love handles and flat stomach. If I eat a slightly higher sugar diet for a bit, say over Xmas, but keep everything else the same; my stomach gets more rounded at the bottom (you know which bit I mean ladies!) and my love handles get WAY worse. Whereas for the other macros I don't get any obvious effects if I go over for a bit. Sugar for me makes a huge difference to the appearnce of my body even wih only a little increase. I know some get the same effect for carbs. Perhaps experiment for a bit to see what your 'demon macro' is. Try a higher carb diet for a week, then a higher sugar etc and see if one or more than one really makes a difference.