Quorn - Overprocessed rubbish or does it have a place?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
I used to have quorn a few times a week, usually the sausages or the escalopes, and stopped when I heard some negative feedback about it from my brother. I am wondering, is it really THAT bad to eat ? Or is it okay once or twice a week?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you aren't vegetarian, there's really no reason. All fake meat products are made of a compilation of other ingredients that are then processed and have salt and other flavors added to make them taste meatier. They are typically pretty high in sodium because of this.

So, if you eat meat, you could likely make a turkey, extra lean beef or extra lean pork sausage that is the same weight/size for around the same calories, be able to season it to your own tastes, and not have all the extra processed stuff. I make my own casing-less sausages all the time for the hubby and I. It's just like making a hamburger patty, except you make a roll instead of a patty.

And if you are vegetarian, you could probably still find some good recipes for things like black bean burgers, veggie burgers, even grain based substitutes, that you could just roll rather than flatten and make your own vegetarian sausages. Just make up a big batch of 'em and throw them in the freezer in portions.

And an escalope is pretty much just pounded meat, so a piece of lean meat and a tenderizer will take care of that. :D (or a vegetarian mix smushed out super thin)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I used to have quorn a few times a week, usually the sausages or the escalopes, and stopped when I heard some negative feedback about it from my brother. I am wondering, is it really THAT bad to eat ? Or is it okay once or twice a week?

There was a rumour, a while ago, that frequent consumption was linked to various stomach complaints. If you do a bit of research, you'll discover these rumours were entirely unfounded.

If you like it eat it.
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    aw i love quorn! i was so excited to find this being a vegetarian. its probably not that great for you, maybe even the same calories as real processed meat but it's good when youre craving that kind of food sometimes.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Oh, and quorn is pretty low in salt.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I love the fake meats but try really hard to stay away from all of the soy based ones. We do still eat them, but only a few times a month. I try to stick to tofu, tempeh, beans and seitan as my main "meat" substitutes.
  • Uisgich
    Uisgich Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love Quorn! It's low fat, not bad on the calories, and very versatile. As a vegetarian for over 25 years, it helps me keep a decent proportion of protein in my diet. I like tofu too, but using them both helps me maintain a nicely varied diet :)
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Me and my boyfriend (both veggies) eat it when we want a meat-like substance with our meals. But I survive without it most of the time :)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I love Quorn! It's low fat, not bad on the calories, and very versatile. As a vegetarian for over 25 years, it helps me keep a decent proportion of protein in my diet. I like tofu too, but using them both helps me maintain a nicely varied diet :)

Me too.
    I think if you use this, beans and lentils, nuts, quinoa, etc it's hard to go wrong in having a healhty, protein rich vegetarian diet.
  • sweetlola13
    Options
    I'm sure once or twice a week is fine! I think it gets a bad rap because some people use it in place of whole, non processed foods ALL of the time. Keep a mix, and you'll be fine.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Hope this helps.

"Q. I eat lots of Quorn. Is this a healthy food?

A. There have been a number of newspaper articles about the risk of developing allergies as a result of eating Quorn. The Food Standards Agency, however, after looking at all the available evidence, believes Quorn is safe. The truth is, many foods can cause allergic reactions, particularly cow’s milk, eggs, fish, shellfish and peanuts. Compared to the numbers who suffer allergies from these foods, Quorn would seem to be very low risk.

No one food should dominate your diet so if you do eat a lot of Quorn, try to include other sources of plant protein such as grains, nuts, seeds, pulses and beans."

http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/nutrition/faqs.html
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't believe Quorn is necessarily that bad. It can be pretty tasty. Quorn is made with Mycoproteins--a/k/a proteins extracted from mushrooms and fungus. Quorn got bad press for a little while because well...not everyone's bodies process mushrooms well and in a small portion of the population it can cause diarrhea. That being said, if you've had it before and it works for you. I don't see why that would be a problem, as this allergy only comes into play for about 1:140000.

Enjoy!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, peoples.
    I think I shall stick to having it occasionally, and also experiment making my own burgers and sausages from other things (though I must admit, I am not much of a cook really, and only do well with simple recipes)

Also, I am not a meat eater. I am a pescetarian, but I like to have variety. Sometimes, I fancy sausages with potatoes and vegetables, and the like. Not often, but just sometimes, after a run of fish, beans and cottage cheese. Beans/lentils tend to disagree with me anyway, and bloat me up horribly.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Quorn is actually made from a fungus. They are soy free. I am not a fan but hubby loves them!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Quorn is actually made from a fungus. They are soy free. I am not a fan but hubby loves them!

That's funny! I love them and hubby hates them!
  • meerkat70
    Options

why do people always say that like it's horrifying? i presume you don't eat mushrooms either?

fungus = good.
  • bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am not a veggie but I do eat quorn, for one its cheaper and 2ndly the protein content is huge, calories are low, iots quick and simple to cook with. It has always had a place in my fridge along side normal meat and always will do.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    QUORN IS AMAZING (on again off again vegetarian who hasn't tasted a good meat substitute since Sanitarium stopped making BBQ links).

Taste the chicken-esque quorn, that's where it's greatest strength is. Also, I think sometime in the future when no one can afford to kill animals to live anymore, we'll all be subsisting on some kind of mycoprotein so good or bad, one day it'll be all we have.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I eat Quorn just about every day and have done for the last....12 years? I've been vege for the last 20 (since I was 10 years old) I was so so happy when Quorn came out here in the UK because it gave and still gives a variety to my food.

Its low in fat, and salt (I have to have a low salt diet) and high in protein. Go for it and nom away :smile:
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Well it makes a change from soya based fake meats.
    I like it, I like a lot of their fake stuff, the fishless fingers are amazing, and I love having their escalopes with a salad. I don't consciously just have quorn as there are so many different vegetarian products these days. I became a vegetarian 12 years ago and not only have the products improved but their are so many different options. I wouldn't say using their products is unhealthy, it's better than the meat versions and it's good for the protein.
  • nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    I love quorn!! I still eat meat but because it has fewer calories than normal sausages and burgers etc. I still feel like I can have sausages!! It tastes pretty good too. I can't really see how it can be that bad for you :)