Weight lifting with lots of body fat to losE

Options
So I'm about 16 pounds from ideal weight and would really like to incorporate heavy strength training. All of u have all these amazing results with lifting.. How far were u from goal? Of it was 10 or more did u actually lose weight on scale or added muscle only. I ask bcuz I have these arms that r still a Lil fatty and I can usually get small arms and shoulders so I don't know if I should just get skinny (by losing weight first) then lifting After OR lift now to start toning but will I lose fat if it's kinda a lot (just had baby)

Replies

• mzbehaven1
    mzbehaven1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    start light work up to a reasonale weight. do more reps. I love weight lifting...but not for bulk...
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I started out at 31% body fat with what I felt was 30lbs to lose. I started "lifting" in January and lost 10lbs. (really just from increasing my activity) I started "heavy lifting" in February. I've only lost three lbs but I did lose over 5 inches total from my hips belly thighs and waist. I've now readjusted my goal weight at 10lbs heavier. I guess the moral is lift light if you are worried about the number on the scale. Lift heavy if you really want to see drastic changes in your body. (my doctor even complimented me today saying "You look great, you're entire body is changing." Pretty cool huh. Just keep in mind it takes a lot of hard work, like anything else, and it doesn't happen over night. (I'm at 8 weeks now)
  • amackenzie0214
    Options
    If you are going to lift heavy you should get your body measured (arms, waist, chest, thighs, body fat %, ect). When you gain muscle you can gain weight but its muscle weight compared to fat weight and muscle weighs more fat. Someone 5'5" 130 lbs with 15% body fat looks completely different than if they had 30% body fat. If you are more focused on the # on the scale you may consider light weight until you hit your goal and then move to heavy weights with a new goal.It really comes down to what are your goals and your desired body type.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Something to keep in mind, picture 10 lbs of fat as a bowling ball and 10 lbs of muscle is about the size of a softball. Your weight may not change, but your body sure will. And like the other poster mentioned, you cannot freak out about initial water weight gain (I'll admit to freaking just a smidge :blushing: )
  • Justapartyofone
    Options
    start light work up to a reasonale weight. do more reps. I love weight lifting...but not for bulk...

K.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    It take a LONG time to add muscle and you have to eat crazy amounts of protein to even start to add muscle. Also, it is VERY difficult for women to bulk up.

I lost 30 lbs by eating better and lifting the heaviest weights I could possibly lift. :) Stay away from those wussy weenie weights. Pick up those big heavy things and get started.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

You won't bulk. You're female and don't have enough testosterone to bulk easy.

----

OP... I have 60lbs to lose still and I'm lifting. I honestly haven't lost a pound since I started, but I've lost an inch around the waist, another inch around the thighs. My bust is shrinking too, of course :( The only thing that hasn't really changed is my hips (damn them!), but I'm sure they will. And the other health benefits are amazing! I LOVE being so much stronger and healthier and happier.

I'd advise against the low weight high rep thing that a lot of women do. Lift HEAVY, as heavy as you can manage while still completing 5 to 8 reps. Do multiple sets.

I started with New Rules for Lifting for Women... you might start there. I know a lot of people who do Stronglifts (another lifting program). You could start there...

But really... I don't think you should wait to lose those last 16 lbs. I think you should start lifting now. You'll love the results.

You really won't bulk. Promise.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I always did body pump (lighter weights, more reps) while losing, and did not start lifting heavy (no more than 8 reps possible per set) until I hit my goal weight. I have no idea if I've gained or lost pounds, but the shape of my body is incredible, lost body fat and I can now see my lean muscle mass.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70pounds

Still about 55ish more to go

I lift and still lose. so go for it. . .
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Start heavy... you won't get big and bulky.

<
    I have been lifting heavy for awhile. I am not big and bulky if anything I am getting smaller.

I agree check out new rules for lifting for women if you are new to lifting.
  • cindyluu17
    Options
    Wow. Lots of great information. Thank u! I am currently reading NROLFW and I'm very intrigued. I already eat high protein bcuz I lift a Lil bit but really want to try this out. So right now I do a couple sets with 8 pound weights. I'm assuming I'd need bigger. Lol. Any tips that helped u at the beginning would be great :)
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    One thing to remember. If you are lifting heavy you may not actually see the scale move down. It may stay the same or go up. You will be building muscle. Not getting bulky. Women do NOT bulk. Measure yourself and track your success that way. I love lifting. It has done amazing things for my body.
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    A great starter workout can be found on bodybuilding.com.. it is Jamie Eason 12 week live fit trainer. The best part it is free!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Wow. Lots of great information. Thank u! I am currently reading NROLFW and I'm very intrigued. I already eat high protein bcuz I lift a Lil bit but really want to try this out. So right now I do a couple sets with 8 pound weights. I'm assuming I'd need bigger. Lol. Any tips that helped u at the beginning would be great :)

if you can afford it, get a set of adjustable weights that go to at least 25 lbs. When I started out I had some from reebok. A gym membership helps but not necessary.
  • cindyluu17
    Options
    Oh wow! That sounds good. I'm gonna search for it right now. Thank u!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i have about 60 more pounds to lose and strength train 3 days a week.

you wont bulk as long as you dont take steroids, eat a crazu amount of calories over your maintenance or get a sex change. i'm finding that the bigger weights i lift, the more inches i lose.

i'm doing NROL4W but strong lifts is also another great strength program to try
  • cindyluu17
    Options
    Thank u for ur reply. :) my weight that's still left is my wrry bcuz I don't want to start lifting and stay at how thick I look. I would assume if I can get down to 112 that even lifting I'd have some weight to lose so I was just curious about it. Thanx for ur help
  • samntha14
    Options
    You will still slim down even if you don't lose anything on the scale.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Something to keep in mind, picture 10 lbs of fat as a bowling ball and 10 lbs of muscle is about the size of a softball. Your weight may not change, but your body sure will. And like the other poster mentioned, you cannot freak out about initial water weight gain (I'll admit to freaking just a smidge :blushing: )

That is such a perfect analogy!!!! I love that and can totally picture it!!!!!