10 months; 75 lbs GONE!!!

Options
bjbixler
bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
I posted about 6 months ago after I lost the first 50 (see that post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/354966-30-lbs-before-30-blew-that-goal-out-of-the-water )

I've been overweight ever since puberty. More or less just "chunky" through high school until I went to college and gained the freshman 40. End of undergrad I decided I wanted to lose weight, so I tried with diet and exercise and some running, and I lost about 35 lbs and felt great. But then grad school happened and I gained it all back and then some. Then I moved to a new city with my boyfriend and became quite sedentary. I can't believe how bad I let it get. If I wanted to eat it, I did. Thanksgiving 2010 on a whim I decided to start C25K, and I stuck with it up until got married in March 2011. I even ran a 5K the DAY BEFORE MY WEDDING with some girlfriends. But up until this point I hadn't done a thing about my diet. Yes, I felt better because I was more active, but I was still really slow.

Looking back at the wedding photos I can barely stand to look at myself. It was the happiest day of my life, but maybe that was the kick in the butt I really needed, because that's what got me here. And the fact that I was still only running a 14 minute mile. I realized that I didn't want to run to lose weight, I wanted to lose weight so I could really run! So in June 2011 I found MFP and decided to change the way I ate. Let's just say the weight loss was really fast at first, 50 lbs in the first 4 months, and the next 25 came off much slower, in fact, I'd been stuck at 74 lbs down for the last month, something I attributed to marathon training and increased appetite to meet the demands of training, but today's weigh in brought new numbers on the scale and I couldn't be any happier to see it budge!

I'll be running my first marathon 2 weeks from tomorrow, close to 17 months since couch potato status. After that, I'll start triathlon training and hope to complete my first sprint triathlon in August. I also hope to step up the strength training because not only is my aim to be healthier, I also want to be strong! I still have about 25 more lbs I'd like to lose, and hopefully it won't take 6 more months to get there, but I will work at this as long as I have to, and will keep working for the rest of my life, because there is no return for me.

I blog about my training/journey: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjbixler

Thanks for letting me share my story.

And of course, the proof is in the pictures (I'm 5'8"):

Close to 260?
bb03101.jpg

My first 5K, 256#
march2011SW.jpg

206#
sept2011progress.jpg

180#
75lbsApr2012.jpg

50-75down.jpg

PS... in a year my 5K time has gone from 42:38 to 28:31 =)

edited to add my height: 5'8"

Replies

• mzbehaven1
    mzbehaven1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    you look great!
  • stiggysworld
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing!! Keep up the great work!!
  • feb06momma
    feb06momma Posts: 169
    Options
    You look AMAZING! Great job!!
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Someone get this girl a jar of AWESOME SAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTG, girl! SO amazing - keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • tjalt
    tjalt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are my HERO!!!! So blessed to call you "friend" and watch you succeed and reach your goals! I adore you!!! I could go on and on but I'm sure you know how I feel about you by now :) So glad you posted this to be an inspiration to all of the MFP world...just like you inspire me daily!
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    you rock!!!! what an awesome accomplishment...!!!!!! look fabulous!!
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is inspiring.
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job! You look Beautiful
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    You look super! Congrats! :] My goal is 65 and it's been slow, I hope I can achieve 65 in 10 months! :]
  • Keeshaja
    Keeshaja Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! you look awesome!!
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Oh you rule!!! very inspirational! thank you for sharing and wonderful job! :flowerforyou:
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    WOW! That's fantastic!
  • brocflores
    brocflores Posts: 111
    Options
    Amazing!! You should be so proud of yourself 😉
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    you look amazing! you should be proud! ....that first photo of you looks amazing, whoever took it should do another like it now!
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Amazing job and I can't imagine running 3 miles in under 30 minutes! Wow! Heck, I doubt I could run one mile in under 30 minutes. :laugh:
  • NamsdnaL
    NamsdnaL Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • bjbixler
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I'm holding on to those jeans from the first pic. I can't wait to put them back on once I reach goal!!!
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    you look great, very inspiring to me.
    do you think you lost so fast due to running a lot? Iv heard a lot of ppl say that it will make the weight fall right off especially w/healthy eating. I ran my first 5K 3/17 this year and was so proud to finish in 33 mins. I want to get faster too and believe that getting smaller it will get easier. Im at 170 right now.
    Cannot wait to see the final pic w/those pants from the first pic!
  • bjbixler
    Options
    Running in and of itself will not promote much weight loss, but it can speed it up if you pair it with a healthy diet, but the more you do it, the more efficient your body becomes, and the less cals burned doing it. A broad variety of activity is really the way to go. My cross and strangth training isn't my focus right now because of marathon training, and I had to increase my caloric goals to properly fuel my body for the rigors of marathon training, so that's what I attribute the slower weight loss to, when in fact, I've been running so much MORE, the weight loss has slowed. The body likes variety. :)
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    great story! thanks, i'm on a mission for c25k success stories today and they keep on coming. can't believe how great you looked at 206!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!