112 pounds and don't want to lose weight

Options
Hi,

I am kinda new to this forum. And I have read many posts here and elsewhere but I cant' seem to figure out what exactly do I need to do in order to lose my belly fat. Before I jump into the problem, here's a bit about myself -

I'm 25 years old, 5 feet 4 inches in height and I weigh 112 lbs. Few months ago, I was little over 115lbs but my tooth surgery got me down to 112. I have a desk job but recently (since 2 weeks) started going to the gym and this is how my routine looks like -

Monday - Pilates 1 hour
Tuesday - Run on treadmill for 30-40 mins, weights for 20 mins
Wednesday - PiYo (Pilates + Yoga) 1 hour
Thursday - Zumba
Friday - Belly dancing (beginner) - I know this doesnt count much but I think it is definitely better sitting at the desk.
Sat/Sun - Run/Jog weather permitting but mostly off days

Prior to these 2 weeks, I went to the gym just thrice Wed - Friday for about 2 weeks.

I eat very less carbs and my food intake is below 1200 calories but that's not because I am watching my diet but because less carbs help me with PCOD. Anyway, I seem to notice that I have gained a lot of endurance and stamina. For example, I can run on the treadmill for a longer time and dont get tired as often. I feel that my love handles have gone down a bit but I am not sure if it is psychological or true. And unfortunately, I cannot confirm it either since I have not taken measurements before I started working out. The problem is my belly fat and I am aware that there is nothing called spot reductions. However, my concern is since I'm already in the "ideal" weight zone, I am not sure if I should lose any weight. Any inputs on this?

P.S: My BFP which I measure in the gym with an instrument (placing two hands on sensors and holding it straight out) shows 25.4% (3 weeks ago, it was 28.3%). I dont know how far this is true but this is what I got in my hands.

Replies

• nuke0409
    nuke0409 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :smile: bump
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    My personal advice is to start lifting heavy and building muscle with a calorie deficit of 400 from your (BMR + activity level)
    at a light activity level your daily cals to maintain are around 1720 (http://www.everydayhealth.com/toolkit/bmr-calculator.aspx)
    so the number of cals you should be eating daily is 1720 - 400 = 1320. Also eat back at least half the cals you expend while working out.

These are a few website that will help you put a good plan together for yourself:
    Diet:
    Here are a few website I use:
    For nutrition:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
    http://www.scoop.it/t/fitness-and-diet-on-the-cutting-edge
    http://www.t-nation.com/
    http://www.gasparinutrition.co.uk/nutrition-recipes-desserts-99.html
    I love Matt's blog:
    http://www.gasparinutrition.co.uk/196.html
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/what-is-clean-eating/
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

Exercise:
    Here are the sites I use:
    HIIT (high intensity interval training):
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html
    Instructions for HIIT for running are on the site, these are instruction for HIIT on stationary bike:
    HIIT with stationary bike start out with a 5min warm up @ tension 5. Then do 30sec @ tension 20, then 1 min @ tension 5 and repeat this for 15 to 20 min. Then bring back the tension to 5 for another 5 to 10 min cool down.
    For lifting:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373801-two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine

I would recommend lifting 3 to 4 days a week and doing 30 to 60 min cardio 5 days a week. You can organize your schedule and yes you can do both cardio and lifting on the same day luv :)

The goal hear is to decrease your body fat while at least maintaining your lean body mass, so eat less fats like 15% to 20% and increase your protein to 30% or 40% with having the rest as complex carbs. Make sure to eat at least 2 cups of a green vegetable each day when raising your protein intake feel free to use google for the reason why.

I hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post except for one thing. At 5'4", a BMI of < 18.5 is considered underweight and unhealthy. That would be 108 pounds, so you're also dangerously close to being underweight. I would not eat at a calorie deficit or try to lose any weight.

Up the calories from the previous response, but stick with the heavy lifting and muscle building. Treadmill and the like will help build your legs, but won't help elsewhere. The weights will convert some of the fat to muscle and give you the body you want.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    lift heavy. eat at TDEE, NOT a deficit.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, at 5'4'' and 112 lbs, you don't need to lose any "belly fat". If you want to get more fit, great. But you would already be at a low body fat and not realy have belly fat or much fat at all. To lose much more fat would possibly put you, as a woman, at risk. Google ideal body fat % for women. The best thing I can tell you is love and accept yourself the way you are. You are just fine.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Try doing strength exercises to build up muscle definition.
  • nuke0409
    Options
    Oh yes, I do absolutely love myself. I do know that my weight and BMI are perfect on paper. However, my body is more like a pear and my waist circumference around my belly button is 33" which I definitely want to get rid of.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am gonna try and do more weights.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    my waist circumference around my belly button is 33" which I definitely want to get rid of.

really? how is that possible at 112 lbs?

maybe that is bloating from foods that don't agree, or yeast overgrowth.
  • clearly_ninja
    clearly_ninja Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was hospitalised due to crohn's disease and my weight dropped from 112 pounds to 62 pounds. I could see almost every single bone on my body incuding my ribs, hips and spine. Yet I still retained a proper pot belly. And it wasn't hard or bloated, it still looked like fat. I have never ever been able to shift my belly fat, even at a dangerously low weight. My body basically ate itself but left me with my belly.

I would love to know the secret to a flat stomach but i'm not holding out much hope. I'm healthier now, and managed to gain all my weight back, and then some. Currently 123lbs and aiming to get back to 112. Maybe I should start lifting weights and see where I get with them because i'm sure I have the most stubborn belly fat known to man!

I'm only 4'11" by the way. And I know how horrific looking skinny is because i've been there, i'm here to get healthy and make better food choices :)
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    my waist circumference around my belly button is 33" which I definitely want to get rid of.

really? how is that possible at 112 lbs?

maybe that is bloating from foods that don't agree, or yeast overgrowth.

It's possible. It's called skinny fat. I would eat at maintenance, lift heavy and do some high intensity interval training.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Agreed with previous poster - eat at maintenance, strength train, interval of full body/plyometrics exercises.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    First off, make sure you're measuring your waist AT your waistline, not your belly or belly button. Most women's waists are a few inches above the navel. Bend at the side. Where your body creases is your natural waist.

I agree with eating at maintenance, making sure you get plenty of protein, and focusing on strength training.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    strength train and look into recomping. ( pretty much eating at maintenance )
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    First off, make sure you're measuring your waist AT your waistline, not your belly or belly button. Most women's waists are a few inches above the navel. Bend at the side. Where your body creases is your natural waist.

I agree with eating at maintenance, making sure you get plenty of protein, and focusing on strength training.

^^this
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    PCOS forces you store your weight in your belly... I was diagnosed years ago and it's where I carry most of my weight. Work at it, but if you're already eating low carbs you shouldn't overextend yourself on diet/exercise if it doesn't go away. It's a symptom of the disease.

TL;DR you're going to have excess belly fat, unfortunately :sad:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Agreed with previous poster - eat at maintenance, strength train, interval of full body/plyometrics exercises.

^^^ agreed.
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    Sounds like a really fun workout schedule actually :)!!!! I also have trouble with my belly, I gain my weight there and its awful! My trainer told me a six pack is made in the kitchen. She means watch your diet, lower your salt intake, drink lots of water! 112 pounds is not fat so I think you shouldn't try to lose weight just tone and watch what you eat. Good luck!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It could be "centripetal obesity," which is fat that is around the internal organs instead of under the skin. It is correlated with PCOS/prediabetes. It's very hard to get rid of. There's a lot of research being done about why some people have it. Some people are extremely rotund in the trunk, yet have limbs like toothpicks.

All I can suggest is build your muscle bulk to address the toothpick issue. Then the belly fat will be less of a cosmetic issue. Building pectorals and gluteus muscles with make your proportions look better when your body fat is less.
  • nuke0409
    Options
    Yes, I definitely do not want to lose any weight because I think I'm fine with the weight and mymeasurement at natural waistline is 28 but the circumference around belly button is what bothers me...As I mentioned before, it is 33 inches and it looks weird to see someone who is appropriate for the height but has belly popping out....

It is definitely a good point that with PCOS, this might be an inherent problem...I did suffer with bloating in the past but with reduced carbs I don't have a bloating issue anymore. However, I think I need to research about PCOS and belly fat issues...In the mean time, I will continue my workout. And I started this workout not only to get a good shape for my body but also most importantly, fitness....I was fed up of my sedentary life!
  • Sarahkwalsh
    Options
    We're you ever able to get the results you wanted? That's exactly my weight and belly measument. I have had two kids(c sections). I recently joined a gym and started weight training twice a week and cardio on the other days. I'm really interested in your results.

Sarah