Walking

Options
2»

Replies

• navy1984
    navy1984 Posts: 57
    Options
    I did! I have lost 46 pounds in the past 3 months from walking on an incline on my tredmil. The first month it was just 2-4 times a week and for about the past week and a half I have been doing it everyday. Started out eating 1500 calories, now I am inbetween 1200-1400. That is all I do! :smile: Walking rocks and I highy advocate it! My legs have never looked so good!!
  • micklepickle27
    Options
    never owning a car, always walking or taking the to work....this has helped me to not gain as much weight as i may have with four wheels. i have recently starting walking farther distances and incorporated a little light jogging (jogging was not in my vocabulary a few months ago) into my routine. walking is one of the best low impact exercises you can do, and you can do it anywhere and everywhere. walk where there are hills or roads on an incline and that will help.
  • fabmst
    fabmst Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 100lbs strictly from walking. Since then I have added in other activities but I always go back to walking. Over the summer I will go back to walking only because i know it will help me shed this fat I have left then I will add in toning. It canb e done!!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Me so far. I have plans to add in resistance training, but haven't gotten up the courage to go to a gym yet.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    When I have lost weight before that is all I did. Since I started this journey in January, it is still my favorite way of exercising. I also do Zumba and strength training too. I love Leslie Sansone walk at home videos. I have a bunch of those videos plus Zumba videos. I still prefer hers. Like this morning, I had time to do anything I wanted. I decided to do her 5 mile super slim walk video instead of the Zumba 1 hour video. I just feel they give me a great variety.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to keep the pace up. So walk faster. :)

Prevention posted an article about this the other day, and how speed walking helps you lose more belly fat.

Here are the links:
    This is for all of you walkers. Prevention posted a little study. People who "speed walked" lost more belly fat and internal fat then people who walked "slow." [Topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/561410-prevention-walking-plan]

Here is a link to the 8 walking week plan and half and full marathon training plans: http://www.prevention.com/pdf/PV0409BELYA.pdf

Here is the full article: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/speed-walking-and-belly-fat-preventioncom
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    I've been walking my neighborhood loop, 2.3 miles, hilly terrain, 3 times per week and staying in my calorie range, and have lost 46 pounds since Feb 9. So yes, walking works. Going to start lifting again once I lose another 20 or so more pounds, but walking is going to be a part of my life from now on. I crave my walks!!
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    I love walking as an exercise, some days I feel I'm having an affair with my treadmill. Just remember to increase your speed and terrain. I walk on the highest incline and the fastest speed I can manage for the longest possible time, it really burns up calories!!! The more consistent you are, the more your endurance will increase, giving you the ability to try other forms of exercise.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Remember weight loss if 80% diet and 20% exercise and 15% peoples opinions,

if it works for you DO.. if it dont, try something else!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent!

Even a lot of pro-bodybuilders, despite all the hours they spend in the gym, turn to walking to get rid of fat.

It's great for the unfit as it's so low impact and low-intensity and it's great for the very fit, as you can add it in around your existing workout commitments without overtraining muscles or drawing on energy reserves you need for recovery.

I do weights, HIIT cardio, running and cycling..... but when I throw in a few extra hours of walking here and there, that's when I really see the change. Strange, considering it's so easy....
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    There are 3 folks on my friend slist who've lost over 100 lbs, most of them was via walking only. I'll let you be the judge of if a good workout to lose weight :)

Ofcourse other intense workouts are great. I myself like to do boxing and since i have really REALLY crappy shoes, I am unable to jog/run but I do walk about an hour a day. My weight-loss has been an average of 1.7 lbs a week so far