Yogurt, even if you THINK you don't like it-read on

Options
rbbrrmqn
rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
Thought I'd share this, friends--I've NEVER been able to eat yogurt bc it tastes very sharp/bitter/sour to me BUT I tried Greek yogurt as a sample tonight and I am THRILLED to report--there are FIVE cups in my frig right now!!! SO, if you are like me and don't think you like it, give the Greek type a try; I bet you will like it, as it is NOT like the other!!

Replies

• Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It's also, supposedly, much better for you; much more protein and less sugar than the domestic junk! Unfortunately, in recessionary times, I must limit myself to Kroger brand imitation. But still darned good!
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt. Almost any kind of it. I think it's delicious and has a good amount of protein in it too which helps a lot. Just wish I could find one with less sugar but every brand they sell (in grocery stores) that I find has about the same amount. Maybe I'll check out a health food store
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i hate yogurt.. but i think it's mainly the texture. does greek yogurt have the same texture? i'm guessing so :(
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I'm all forGreek yogurt, mixed into something for the protein.
    My mom brought us up on yogurt and sour cream, as well as Brussels sprouts, asparagus, spaghetti squash, zucchini, artichkes, yams, fresh fish, etc.
    But then, we were on the low end of middle class, high end of poverty. Most of the time we were just glad to have food :flowerforyou:
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Fage Plain has the lowest carbs I've seen at about 9g.

Beware the imitation greek yogurts.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :happy: I "discovered" Greek yogurt a few months ago. I will never go back to the "other" kind. Two of my fav brands of Greek are Zoi and Greek Gods. Try the honey ones. They make me think of cheesecake. I like to sprinkle either apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice on mine. Yum.
  • JKchange3
    Options
    i think i shall try it :)
  • walber
    walber Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as you. Never did like yogurt. I haven't tried it yet. But, I was told to use the plain greek yogurt and add chives and top off a baked potatoe. And use the plain greek yogurt add a strawberry crystal light package and use as a fruit dip. So, I am planning to try those ideas soon. Which brand seems to be the best??
  • Toddrific
    Options
    I feel the same as you. Never did like yogurt. I haven't tried it yet. But, I was told to use the plain greek yogurt and add chives and top off a baked potatoe. And use the plain greek yogurt add a strawberry crystal light package and use as a fruit dip. So, I am planning to try those ideas soon. Which brand seems to be the best??

Chobani and Fage are great.
    Athenos is cheap if you can find it, and nearly as good.
  • Toddrific
    Options
    :happy: I "discovered" Greek yogurt a few months ago. I will never go back to the "other" kind. Two of my fav brands of Greek are Zoi and Greek Gods. Try the honey ones. They make me think of cheesecake. I like to sprinkle either apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice on mine. Yum.

Greek gods isn't greek yogurt.
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Chobani!!!!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    There are so many wonderful things you can do with Greek yogurt. You can make salad dressings with it - for example, bleu cheese - much healthier than the stuff you would buy and you can control how much cheese, etc. you put in. It makes a great dipping sauce also with lemon juice, olive oil and some herbs. Also, there are the No Pudge brownies, which you make using just the mix and yogurt. I make mine with Greek yogurt and they are super-moist. Everyone loves them - sometimes I don't even tell them they're fat-free!
  • ebeth15
    ebeth15 Posts: 3
    Options
    Chobani is my favorite, by far (although I do like Oikos, as well). I too am a former yogurt-hater. It took me awhile to adapt to Greek yogurt (the texture is thick, sort of like sour cream) but now I love it. It has lots of protein, and really keeps me full! The Chobani Champions might be good ones to start with, if you aren't sure about it. They are really good and only 100 calories each. My favorite flavors of Chobani are raspberry, apple cinnamon, and blood orange. I HATE the Kroger brand Greek yogurt. It's disgusting and grainy and has a weird aftertaste, probably due to the stevia. I'm starting to incorporate plain Greek yogurt into recipes (in place of sour cream, for example). It's definitely worth a try! :)
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of yogurt but I have been adding greek yogurt to various things I cook in place of higher calorie foods etc. I haven't noticed a difference in taste so far and it is healthier.
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I tried Wegmans brand tonight, and -obviously-loved it!!! YEAH!! It has 14g protein per yogurt cup and it's very smooth and creamy. My store sells it for .89 and it comes in 6 flavors--blueberry; strawberry; honey; vanilla; plain; peach.
  • tonlynn
    tonlynn Posts: 23
    Options
    Zoi.. and the Honey is the best! I even add it to smoothies for an extra calorie boost before exercising :)
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Fage Cherry 0% is my FAVY!!!
  • jupityjupe
    jupityjupe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i have never liked yogurt but have always loved sour cream...an old boyfriend once said to me they taste so much alike that i wouldn't know the difference and had me do a blind taste test....YUCK! i could tell the difference! lol

but since yogurt is so good for you i will give this a try...worse that could happen is i give the leftovers to my kids....they like yogurt at least :)
  • anorrybot
    anorrybot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is also higher in protein than the regular variety. Plus I like to use it as a subsitute for sour cream. Try the plain one with honey and fresh fruit.
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    fage greek yogurt is the SHIZZNIT! lmao. it actually reminds me of a soft serve ice cream, add a couple cherries and some nuts and you have a sundae :)