Zucchini Fries

Options
AshBear
AshBear Posts: 63
This recipe is perfect whenever you are craving french fries! I make them all the time. They go well with just about anything and are super easy to make! I found it on one of Dr. Oz's websites but I modify it to make it vegan!

Canola oil cooking spray
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 medium zucchini (I use both green and yellow)
2 egg whites, lightly beaten ( I use Ener-G egg replacer mixed with an extra 3TBS water per "egg")

Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine flours, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a large sealable plastic bag or large tupperware bowls. Dip zucchini in egg white (or Ener-G egg replacer) and place in the plastic bag or sealed tupperware. Shake in the bag to coat, and arrange, not touching, on the baking sheet. Coat all exposed sides with cooking spray. Bake on the center rack for 7 minutes. Turn the zucchini and coat any floury spots with cooking spray. Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 5 minutes more. Serve hot.

ENJOY! :)

Replies

• jwinfield
    jwinfield Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh lordy those sound delish. Do you have the nutritional facts on them?
  • AshBear
    Options
    this is what it says on the website:

The recipe makes 4 servings:
    Per serving
    Calories: 108
    Carbohydrates: 22g
    Fat: 1g
    Saturated Fat: 0g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 0g
    Protein: 6g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Dietary Fiber: 4g
    Potassium: 512mg
    Sodium: 427mg
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    Great thanks I am going to make theses tonight. How many is in a serving?
  • AshBear
    Options
    well the recipe makes 4 servings. So I usually just divide them up into about 4 even sized piles so I know about how much I'm eating.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks! do you think someone who is TRYING to learn to love veggies would like this?
  • AshBear
    Options
    I think it would be a good way to introduce veggies because it's in the familiar french fry form and doesn't taste too strong! Hope that helps
  • Enough_Already
    Options
    This sounds awesome!! Have to get the hubster to try these, too.
  • indianagranny
    Options
    bumping to find easier
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    yummy.gif Thanks for sharing!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Your recipe got me to thinking, why couldn't you do the same thing and substitute green beans? I am thinking of the infamous "green bean fries" at TGI Fridays.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    Your recipe got me to thinking, why couldn't you do the same thing and substitute green beans? I am thinking of the infamous "green bean fries" at TGI Fridays.

There is a recipe for this in the Hungry Girl 200 under 200 cookbook. Using Fiber One Original Cereal all ground up.

There is also one for mozzarella sticks.
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    sounds yummy!
  • alisha123
    alisha123 Posts: 71
    Options
    Can't wait to try!
  • aprilf
    aprilf Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    those sound really good, and just what I've been looking for. I'll have to try them tomorrow! I just posted a topic on zucchini recipes.